Dr Wilson in Houston?

You know...when you add the high pressure spa bit, with civil claims, he just seems too slimy for me to want to be in the same building with him...not even factoring trusting him with my life--or car keys.

Now...a malpractice case? If humans make mistakes, I think we can count on that. But when they...like another surgeon we discussed here not long ago...start rewriting surgical reports and lying to family members...then it's the cover-up that makes them bad guys.

On Spiegel, check Louisiana, too.

@DianaCox ...what can you see on Basco v Spiegel, Louisiana, circa 2008

Sorry for your problems and making assumptions, just trying to help.

No need to be sorry. We had a mold issue in a bathroom....which meant that the remodel we thought we'd do "in a year or so," moved to the top of the Things To Do List! So, nine grand later...our front yard (which WAS at the top of the list) is still dirt and rocks, while we build a bathroom. Aargh!!

Oh, well. At least homeowners insurance covered a good portion of it, so it could have been worse.

Apparently, I've committed the graven sin of not having the time to compose a solid response, not to mention being overwhelmed with what I've seen in terms of malpractice and civil suits.

As far as my time goes, I've just gotten for the evening after a totally frantic couple of days at work for preparation for a business trip while I'm dealing with new kittens and family matters, including an aunt who had a heart attack.

So, please forgive me for not jumping at your replies.

Eh...just a gut feeling, but I would avoid Spiegel. I know nothing of Wilson and good things of Ayoola.

Are you absolutely locked into the no travel thing? Sometimes we are so sure of the things we cannot do and then a different way to solve a problem appears. My surgery was about 3.5 - 4 hours from home. And we've had people go from Alaska to Brazil...and people who have 100% disabled family members to care for have found work arounds.

ETA...I am also a band to DS revision...almost nine years ago!

Last edited:
I still don't have this quote thing down!......Bywater....Sorry for your problems and for me making assumptions, just trying to help someone on a similar plight.

Last edited:
I still don't have this quote thing down!......Bywater....Sorry for your problems and making for me assumptions, just trying to help someone on a similar plight.
Don't do quote.

Just hit reply for the thread you want to respond to.

Eh...just a gut feeling, but I would avoid Spiegel. I know nothing of Wilson and good things of Ayoola.

Are you absolutely locked into the no travel thing? Sometimes we are so sure of the things we cannot do and then a different way to solve a problem appears. My surgery was about 3.5 - 4 hours from home. And we've had people go from Alaska to Brazil...and people who have 100% disabled family members to care for have found work arounds.

ETA...I am also a band to DS revision...almost nine years ago!

I read a lot this week about some of those lawsuits etc, and NO, I am not locked in to a decision yet. I am seeing Dr. Wilson this Wed and am really hopefull of that, but am still ready to go to Dallas if I need to. It would be SOO hard on my Wife and family logistically, but, we may have to. Thxs so much for everyones info!

I read a lot this week about some of those lawsuits etc, and NO, I am not locked in to a decision yet. I am seeing Dr. Wilson this Wed and am really hopefull of that, but am still ready to go to Dallas if I need to. It would be SOO hard on my Wife and family logistically, but, we may have to. Thxs so much for everyones info!
If you had cancer, and there was a cancer treatment center in Dallas that was specific to your type of cancer, would you hesitate for a MINUTE about going there, rather than a local oncologist with a poor track record who doesn't stay on top of new therapies, just because of "logistics?" Your choice of bariatric surgeries and surgeons is no less important.

I write this to all who are considering surgery, just to underscore that there is no more important choice that you can make than in whose hands you willingly place your life. Pick the most capable, most ethical surgeon you can...

If distance is merely an inconvenience, and the best choice isn't nearby, travel should be considered. Your potential death or disability may well prove more inconvenient. If it is a case of insurance woes, an attempt to fight is warranted. Appeals can be won.

Finally, while there are going to be non-valid malpractice claims from time to time when the surgeon wasn't at fault, the frequency, severity and determinations of those claims are quite telling. Always review a potential surgeon's malpractice claim history, his/her overall complication, morbidity and mortality rates, as well as experience with the specific procedure you will be undergoing. Then review the track record of the facility where the procedure will be performed...

Your life is worth it. :)

I posted my current avatar because it was my friend Devina's birthday this week. We lost her last year and I wanted an excuse to see her face again.

I struggle with her absence more that I might if she were gone so young for other reasons, but the reality is she'll never see 40 because she put her trust in a doctor who wasn't sufficiently able or equipped to properly handle her case when it because evident that the situation wasn't business as usual. While her death wasn't WLS-related, it was the result of malpractice. With the right doctor, she would still be here today.

I want *you* to live long and healthy lives!

Last edited:
When I had my revision, my husband had to get back to work. We didn't have to use it, but one solution I found--so that my husband could abandon me in case it became necessary--was that I found a home health agency that would send someone out for a two hour minimum every day, if that's what we wanted.

I was going to have that person do my laundry in the hotel laundry room and run to Denny's next door for hot soup...I drank the broth...or a soft boiled egg...I ate the yolk...or to the store for things I needed.

Turned out I didn't need it, but it was something we could have done.

I posted this on the FB page, and reposting here. If I weren't a widow and didn't have responsibilities to multiple people and had functional family within a day's drive it would be one thing. But I don't. And, being honest, I'm getting tired of being told that I'm going to ruin my life if I don't make a trip that I can't manage and I'm about ready to just give up on asking anyone for help that works because obviously my personal circumstances are less important than browbeating me over my options.

I'm doing the best I can with what I can and within the parameters that work for my life.

Apparently, I've committed the graven sin of not having the time to compose a solid response, not to mention being overwhelmed with what I've seen in terms of malpractice and civil suits.

As far as my time goes, I've just gotten for the evening after a totally frantic couple of days at work for preparation for a business trip while I'm dealing with new kittens and family matters, including an aunt who had a heart attack.

So, please forgive me for not jumping at your replies.

I understand completely and DO respect and feel for your situation. We are ALL in this together, but especially you and I because we are both surgeon shopping in Houston at the same time, so, to reiterate, if there is anything I can do to help, just let me know. I am seeing Erik Wilson this Wed and I will let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back