Dr Wilson in Houston?

Bywater

I'm new here and started my research into a surgeon. Before I go any further, travelling to Denton, Waco or DFW to see Dr Ayoola is not an option.

I'm many years out from a failed crap band and am looking at a revision to a DS. My insurance will pay for it, or so it appears. I'm looking for a Houston area surgeon and from what I've seen I have very limited options here. Dr. Bonnor is a bait and switch (not an option). The other options I see are Dr Wilson and Dr Spiegle (really have questions about him).

Of the two, I'm leaning toward Dr Wilson and I'm curious if anyone can lend any insight into him.

Thanks!

There are a couple of very happy Spiegel DSers on the Facebook group DS Patients. I wouldn't trust anything else in his office, especially the diet and supplement advice--to an even higher degree than the "usual" warnings along those lines--but if you can manage to get through all the other bullshit, he appears to be a competent cutter.

Have you looked up the license/sanction records on all three of these surgeons? That would be my next step. I *did* that once upon a time, but can't remember what I found.

If you are not yet on that Facebook group, come over and ask those questions there.

If you are not yet on that Facebook group, come over and ask those questions there.

Yes...what Elizabeth said. I posted a reply on your other post on the OH website also. I just joined that FB group and went to a meeting 12 days ago and got a LOT of info! I am probably going to go with Dr, Spiegel. I seen him 3 days ago and was VERY impressed with his experience, AND his bedside manner. He was awesome to talk with and ASSURED me he would do the DS in ONE operation, not as in the (bait and switch) ones propose. He IS a true DS surgeon and has done over 160. Dr. Scarborough is the other option, but he is not in my insurance plan. There was about 11 people in this meeting and at least 4 of them had Spiegel for the DS and about 4 had Scarborough. BOTH Surgeons were highly recommended by all. As Elizabeth said...THE most important part is the surgeons skills. To use their words exactly...."He is a great cutter"...lol. I could give a rats ass about the front office or even the bedside manner, but, I was really impressed by all 3 and given what I've been through here in Houston, that's hard to do! The ONLY other DS surgeon in Houston is Dr. Eric Wilson. I am seeing him next wed just to say I did it (already had appointment scheduled), BUT, pretty much have my mind made up with Dr. Spiegel. Email me if you want to join the FB group and I will send you the info. Rgds, Rob

Interesting - Spiegel claims no malpractice suits on his medical license information with the Texas Medical Board:

Malpractice Information
Section 154.006(b)(16) of the Act requires that: a physician profile display a description of any medical malpractice claim against the physician, not including a description of any offers by the physician to settle the claim, for which the physician was found liable, a jury awarded monetary damages to the claimant, and the award has been determined to be final and not subject to further appeal. The physician has the following reportable claims.
Description: NONE
and yet in the Houston TX Municipal Court (Harris County: http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/edocs/public/search.aspx) roster alone, I found these:

VFC PARTNERS 33 LLC vs. UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL SYSTEMS LLP8/29/2014151CivilCONTRACT
201449786- 7
Active - CivilPARKER, KAKIE vs.
SPIEGEL, FELIX (M D)
8/29/2014151CivilMALPRACTICE (MEDICAL)
201442430- 7
Active - CivilBESHAY, AMIRA vs. V SPIEGEL SPA LLC7/24/2014164CivilMALPRACTICE (MEDICAL)
201143621- 7
Disposed (Final)TEXAS COMMUNITY BANK N A vs.
UNIVERSITY GENERAL HOSPITAL L P (TEXAS LIMITED PAR
7/25/2011125CivilCONTRACT
201120090- 7
Disposed (Final)RELATIONAL LLC vs. UNIVERSITY GENERAL HOSPITAL LLP3/31/2011165CivilBREACH OF CONTRACT
201022329- 7
Disposed (Final)CAMBRIDGE PROPERTIES vs.
NEZAMI, KAMRAN
4/8/2010157CivilOTHER CIVIL
201008164- 7
Disposed (Final)RELATIONAL LLC (DELAWARE LIMITED LIABILI vs. UNIVERSITY GENERAL HOSPITAL LLP2/8/2010165CivilBREACH OF CONTRACT
200961589- 7
Disposed (Final)BOKF EQUIPMENT FINANCE INC vs.
UNIVERSITY GENERAL HOSPITAL LP
9/24/2009125CivilCONTRACT
200956279- 7
Disposed (Final)KUYKENDALL, KURT (DBA K&K MEDIA PRODUCTIONS) vs. SPIEGEL, FELIX (M D)9/1/2009333CivilDAMAGES (OTHER)
200836807- 7
Disposed (Final)STEWART, GLENDA vs.
SPIEGEL, FELIX M D
6/16/2008270CivilMALPRACTICE (MEDICAL)
200824806- 7
Disposed (Final)CAMBRIDGE PROPERTIES vs. NEZAMI, KAMRAN4/22/2008157CivilBREACH OF CONTRACT

At least one of those is final.

Interesting - Spiegel claims no malpractice suits on his medical license information with the Texas Medical Board:

and yet in the Houston TX Municipal Court (Harris County: http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/edocs/public/search.aspx) roster alone, I found these:

VFC PARTNERS 33 LLC vs. UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL SYSTEMS LLP8/29/2014151CivilCONTRACT
201449786- 7
Active - CivilPARKER, KAKIE vs.
SPIEGEL, FELIX (M D)
8/29/2014151CivilMALPRACTICE (MEDICAL)
201442430- 7
Active - CivilBESHAY, AMIRA vs. V SPIEGEL SPA LLC7/24/2014164CivilMALPRACTICE (MEDICAL)
201143621- 7
Disposed (Final)TEXAS COMMUNITY BANK N A vs.
UNIVERSITY GENERAL HOSPITAL L P (TEXAS LIMITED PAR
7/25/2011125CivilCONTRACT
201120090- 7
Disposed (Final)RELATIONAL LLC vs. UNIVERSITY GENERAL HOSPITAL LLP3/31/2011165CivilBREACH OF CONTRACT
201022329- 7
Disposed (Final)CAMBRIDGE PROPERTIES vs.
NEZAMI, KAMRAN
4/8/2010157CivilOTHER CIVIL
201008164- 7
Disposed (Final)RELATIONAL LLC (DELAWARE LIMITED LIABILI vs. UNIVERSITY GENERAL HOSPITAL LLP2/8/2010165CivilBREACH OF CONTRACT
200961589- 7
Disposed (Final)BOKF EQUIPMENT FINANCE INC vs.
UNIVERSITY GENERAL HOSPITAL LP
9/24/2009125CivilCONTRACT
200956279- 7
Disposed (Final)KUYKENDALL, KURT (DBA K&K MEDIA PRODUCTIONS) vs. SPIEGEL, FELIX (M D)9/1/2009333CivilDAMAGES (OTHER)
200836807- 7
Disposed (Final)STEWART, GLENDA vs.
SPIEGEL, FELIX M D
6/16/2008270CivilMALPRACTICE (MEDICAL)
200824806- 7
Disposed (Final)CAMBRIDGE PROPERTIES vs. NEZAMI, KAMRAN4/22/2008157CivilBREACH OF CONTRACT

At least one of those is final.
Yup...laws protect the offenders.

The seller's broker on the house we just bought has a clean license per the state's Real Estate Board website. But if you Google her name AND the word FRAUD, you find a 2010 publication of that same board showing that she was found to be conducting business in a manner that constituted fraud and they fined her ten grand!! But you won't find that with their website search.

That is interesting huh? I seen some of those doing my google thing previously, but never seen all those. I will have to go in to each one when I have time later and see what there all about. Thxs a bunch for the info!

Allow me to amend:

Surgical skills are FAR more important than office stuff, diet, supplement, followup..... But focusing on cutting skills and ignoring malpractice claims is an excellent way to get yourself into deep, deep shit. K?

Allow me to amend:

Surgical skills are FAR more important than office stuff, diet, supplement, followup..... But focusing on cutting skills and ignoring malpractice claims is an excellent way to get yourself into deep, deep shit. K?

I agree, for sure. That's why I said I need to take a look at both malpractice claims ( I already knew about one previously). 2 malpractice claims in over 7,000 bariatric procedures doesn't alarm me per se, (percentage = 0.028%), but, yes, it is a part of the equation for sure. And also the other claims which I read about some of them too, mostly his TV commercials contracts, Hospital contracts etc. claims. They can either speak volumes about character or just a bad business man, usually the former.

I agree, for sure. That's why I said I need to take a look at both malpractice claims ( I already knew about one previously). 2 malpractice claims in over 7,000 bariatric procedures doesn't alarm me per se, (percentage = 0.028%), but, yes, it is a part of the equation for sure. And also the other claims which I read about some of them too, mostly his TV commercials contracts, Hospital contracts etc. claims. They can either speak volumes about character or just a bad business man, usually the former.

You know...when you add the high pressure spa bit, with civil claims, he just seems too slimy for me to want to be in the same building with him...not even factoring trusting him with my life--or car keys.

Now...a malpractice case? If humans make mistakes, I think we can count on that. But when they...like another surgeon we discussed here not long ago...start rewriting surgical reports and lying to family members...then it's the cover-up that makes them bad guys.

On Spiegel, check Louisiana, too.

@DianaCox ...what can you see on Basco v Spiegel, Louisiana, circa 2008

Last edited:
Some of the documents can be found here:
http://dockets.justia.com/docket/louisiana/lawdce/2:2008cv00468/107179/

http://la.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.20080930_0000283.WLA.htm/qx

I have PACER, so I reviewed some of the documents. He lost - the judgment was as follows:

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
WESTERN DIVISION OF LOUISIANA
LAKE CHARLES DIVISION
JOSHUA L. BASCO CIVIL ACTION NO. 08-00468
VERSUS MAGISTRATE JUDGE METHVIN
DR. FELIX SPIEGEL BY CONSENT OF THE PARTIES
JUDGMENT
In accord with the jury verdict rendered on the October 7, 2009;
IT IS ORDERED that judgment be entered in favor of the plaintiff, Joshua L. Basco,
against defendant Dr. Felix Spiegel, for damages in the sum $85,000, consisting of $10,000 in
general damages and $75,000 in medical expenses;
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that plaintiff is awarded legal interest as allowed by law;
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that defendant Dr. Felix Spiegel is taxed with costs
pursuant to Rule 54(d)(1) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
Signed at Lafayette, Louisiana, on October 30, 2009.

But I can't read the jury verdict, which is not publicly accessible. They later settled the case (I assume for some portion of the costs, which undoubtedly exceeded the judgment itself).

I'm new here and started my research into a surgeon. Before I go any further, travelling to Denton, Waco or DFW to see Dr Ayoola is not an option.

I'm many years out from a failed crap band and am looking at a revision to a DS. My insurance will pay for it, or so it appears. I'm looking for a Houston area surgeon and from what I've seen I have very limited options here. Dr. Bonnor is a bait and switch (not an option). The other options I see are Dr Wilson and Dr Spiegle (really have questions about him).

Of the two, I'm leaning toward Dr Wilson and I'm curious if anyone can lend any insight into him.

Thanks!

WTF?? I (and everyone else), took the time to respond to your post to try to help you (On BOTH websites), and you dont even have the courtesy to reply??

WTF?? I (and everyone else), took the time to respond to your post to try to help you (On BOTH websites), and you dont even have the courtesy to reply??
I'm kind of glued to my laptop...maybe you are, too...but not everyone is. And today, because I'm having a bathroom gutted and rebuilt, electricity was off several times today, which meant no modem.

Tell ya what...let's give her a few more days. THEN we can get her...lol.

And Rob...I've noticed that when we really want to help someone, we want to know if our efforts did make a difference. But sometimes...people get what they need and just go away.

Apparently, I've committed the graven sin of not having the time to compose a solid response, not to mention being overwhelmed with what I've seen in terms of malpractice and civil suits.

As far as my time goes, I've just gotten for the evening after a totally frantic couple of days at work for preparation for a business trip while I'm dealing with new kittens and family matters, including an aunt who had a heart attack.

So, please forgive me for not jumping at your replies.

Latest posts

Back