Does size really matter?

DBmom23

had my preop visit today (Rabkin, DS 6/16) and asked what his plan was re gastric sleeve size and common channel length. He told me he plans to leave a 4-5 ounce stomach bc my BMI is not too high--"only" 75 pounds to lose. Common channel will be decided intraoperatively based on the length of my small intestine.
I trust him but also feel like that size stomach is bigger than what I've seen posted on this site. I feel like I really want to get my money's worth on this so I'm feeling a little disappointed and would appreciate your thoughts.
As an aside, when I did mention that my preference would be for smaller rather than larger, he said the only thing harder than losing weight is trying to gain it if you can't eat and become underweight. This is so beyond my experience ever in life having gained weight just looking at food it seems....

The misery of a too-small sleeve is not comparable to the bit more self-control you might need to exert with a slightly larger one. I'd ask him to stick to 4 oz and be happy with that - Rabkin is very knowledgeable about limb lengths and does not generally go for the long common channels.

had my preop visit today (Rabkin, DS 6/16) and asked what his plan was re gastric sleeve size and common channel length. He told me he plans to leave a 4-5 ounce stomach bc my BMI is not too high--"only" 75 pounds to lose. Common channel will be decided intraoperatively based on the length of my small intestine.
I trust him but also feel like that size stomach is bigger than what I've seen posted on this site. I feel like I really want to get my money's worth on this so I'm feeling a little disappointed and would appreciate your thoughts.
As an aside, when I did mention that my preference would be for smaller rather than larger, he said the only thing harder than losing weight is trying to gain it if you can't eat and become underweight. This is so beyond my experience ever in life having gained weight just looking at food it seems....
My surgeon "told" me I was given about a 4 oz sleeve...turns out he actually used a 32 bougie...I have a TINY sleeve. And you will do fine...there are advantages to a "4 oz" sleeve but you can ask what size bougie he plans on using. My husband had a 38 bougie and he also still has MANY tiny tummy days. We just eat OFTEN.

Welcome to the lightweights!!! And your surgery day is a special day for me...it's on MY birthday!

I'd kill to have a little bigger stomach. I love spicy food, but really can't eat it, because once your tiny little stomach is full of spicy chicken curry, for example, you'd really like to take a big drink of your beverage of choice, which will undoubtedly make you puke.

Latest posts

Back