Do you ask for DS food accommodations?

Settledownnow

I went to a work-related conference today. I did not bring high protein snacks with me because I thought there were be plenty of high protein food choices available. Plus, I paid enough money for the conference to expect decent food. WRONG. So, at the morning break, I ate a pastry because I have no self-control. Other choices were banana bread, apple, and bananas. At lunch time we were served sandwiches and homemade potato chips. Really? I ate the meat/cheese from the sandwich. At snack time, we were served Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, and chocolate chip cookies (guess what I ate?). I am really paying for the pastry and cookie now.

I did not ask for meal accommodations because I did not want to bring attention to myself and have to explain why I was eating a different food than the others. I had to explain anyway because I put the bread to the side, "My gut cannot handle bread" I said. The person seated next to me: "Gluten?" Me: "Um, yeah, gluten".

Question - when you go somewhere new to eat for work do you ask for food accommodations? Do you ask in advance about the menu? Now I know to put nuts, cheese, and a protein bar in my purse when going eating somewhere else.

If they ask, I ask for a low-carb option. Otherwise, I just control myself (mostly). Or I bring my own. Nowadays, everyone is on some weirdo diet.

If they ask, I ask for a low-carb option. Otherwise, I just control myself (mostly). Or I bring my own. Nowadays, everyone is on some weirdo diet.

Usually, there are healthy options like yogurt, water, cheese at a professional conference. It just threw me for a loop.

Well, the nice thing about the DS Is it's forgiving. :) (says the woman who had ice cream twice on Saturday.)

I've never thought about a DS meal, but I guess you could ask for an Atkins meal.

Well, the nice thing about the DS Is it's forgiving. :) (says the woman who had ice cream twice on Saturday.)

I've never thought about a DS meal, but I guess you could ask for an Atkins meal.

I did not mean literally asking for a "DS meal" but rather high protein and low carb. The conference was another one of those learning situations. I do need to pack high protein snack foods for a conference to that I can stay away from sugary snack foods. Lunch was manageable, but snacks at break really through me. I have also been thrown by retirement parties, birthdays, etc., and learned if I eat a high protein snack at my desk before the party I am better able to skip sugary desserts. Some days are easier than others when it comes to eating!

Taking your own will be best but if you can, a heads up to the planners that offering options other than carbs/veggies/fruit and adding water to the fluid options would be wise in this day and age when so many are watching what they eat.

I find people roll their eyes if you ask for special foods... unless you say you're diabetic. That's the only disease for which they'll go out of their way to help. "I'm diabetic and need high protein, low carb food, please." And still I've heard a server ask "well aren't you on insulin or something?" as if insulin is like wearing a food condom.

Whatever you say, don't say gluten intolerant because that one always gets snickers.

The funniest video ever on food preferences:

I always carry zip locks! I bring cheese and nuts in my bag and pick at whatever they serve. If it is great food, like at some weddings, I take the day off from the DS diet. Flying is the worst. I have a big meat meal at the airport and bring leftovers in my ziplock for the plane. Fried chicken can make seatmates jealous!

I went to a meeting recently that did not have any protein. Seriously they catered from Tomato's. I got in my car and went to the Taco Shop down the street. I also shamelessly brought it back and ate it in front of everyone. No one said a word. I did get some envious looks though.

I just say I need high protein, low carb. There are so many weird and wonderful reasons people ask for dietary accommodations, so I don't feel bad asking.
Wow Hariet you are looking very good in your Avatar. It certainly shows great progress. Congrats.

Latest posts

Back