Do We Need Probiotics??

Pink Unicorn

Hello,

I read someone discussing probiotics in another post. While I understand and am preparing for the variety and timing of vitamin supplements, I have heard nothing about needing to take probiotics after the surgery. So I am asking you, do we need to take probiotics after the surgery? If so, why and when?

Thank you in advance for your time, knowledge, and energy.

Pink Unicorn

Many people swear by them but I do not take them.

I bought pricey probiotics in the weeks before DS but never opened the bottles. I believe I poop just fine -- nothing particularly foul and on the rare occasion it is, it's diet related. Gee I could send them to you, and then like a holiday fruitcake, you can give them unopened to someone else. :)

I am VERY prepared... the kind of person who buys a ton of stuff "just in case." I have a closet full of Miralax (which tastes like motor oil to me so I never used it), Imodium (only had diarrhea a handful of times and it was just a single episode so never took this either), Sundown Iron (it was on sale so I bought 3 bottles then realized this type gave me diarrhea), and of course all the expensive protein powders that tasted good before but not after DS. Be patient. DON'T BUY AHEAD! Everything is available at Walmart, a vitamin store or from Amazon where it will be delivered in 2 days.

Many people swear by them but I do not take them.

I bought pricey probiotics in the weeks before DS but never opened the bottles. I believe I poop just fine -- nothing particularly foul and on the rare occasion it is, it's diet related. Gee I could send them to you, and then like a holiday fruitcake, you can give them unopened to someone else. :)

I am VERY prepared... the kind of person who buys a ton of stuff "just in case." I have a closet full of Miralax (which tastes like motor oil to me so I never used it), Imodium (only had diarrhea a handful of times and it was just a single episode so never took this either), Sundown Iron (it was on sale so I bought 3 bottles then realized this type gave me diarrhea), and of course all the expensive protein powders that tasted good before but not after DS. Be patient. DON'T BUY AHEAD! Everything is available at Walmart, a vitamin store or from Amazon where it will be delivered in 2 days.

Thank you! I like to be prepared as well, so I will wait until after the surgery before I buy any probiotics. :)

I took them once because my dentist suggested/prescribed them. I was on antibiotics for a dental infection. Didn't seem to do much of anything for me so I figured I could do without it.

Some people swear by them though. They do the pills and eat live culture everything. I never have. I don't care for yogurt, reminds me of spoiled milk. I do eat some real sauerkraut every now and then but that's about it. I do believe there is much we don't know about the gut biome and it's quite possible studying these bugs could lead to some definitive information about why fat people are fat. Not too long ago they were talking about doing fecal transplants from thin people to heavy people to see if it made a difference. I would try it. My best guess is they would kill off your own intestinal flora with antibiotics and then replace with the good stuff. From the top down with pills and the bottom up, probably with a suppository. It would be an interesting experiment.

Hello,

I read someone discussing probiotics in another post. While I understand and am preparing for the variety and timing of vitamin supplements, I have heard nothing about needing to take probiotics after the surgery. So I am asking you, do we need to take probiotics after the surgery? If so, why and when?

Thank you in advance for your time, knowledge, and energy.

Pink Unicorn
I'm one that does take them, but didn't initially. I will say I started them by targeting strains for other things, like helping prevent c-diff, and kidney stones. I am nearly gas free, and my poop stinks less when I take them, but don't have a strict regime, as I take several different strains at a time, and sometimes mix and match brands. I've seen studies that like gut flora to a host of things, and think I'd take them regardless at this point, but do think my system is happier with them, especially if I've consistently been on them for a while.

I'm a proponent, to some extent. Some people swear by the expensive, shipped-on-dry-ice, has-to-be-kept-in-the-fridge stuff like VSL#3 - and I mean SWEAR by it - but that is way too much trouble for me - and you have to drink it. I'd barf. But I know my guts get messed up really easily - always have. I took probiotics before my DS, from Trader Joe's - but graduated to better stuff after my DS. I now take two kinds, which have different bugs, to maximize the chance I'm taking something I need - Primal Defense Ultra (which has Staphalococcus boulardii, which is supposed to help fight off C. diff) in the AM (buy it on the internet), and Culturelle (buy it at Costco when it's on sale) in the PM. My poop and gas are tolerable in odor, most of the time. When it gets out of control, as it does from time to time, I do a round of Flagyl, and repopulate with the same supplements.

I began to get a slight pain in my upper right abdomen at about 5 years out. Nothing terrible but it just wouldn't go away. Test and tests and it turned out a probiotic fixed it up. I'm now at 12 years out and take 1 Primal Defense Ultra each morning. I wish I'd begun it earlier.

I began to get a slight pain in my upper right abdomen at about 5 years out. Nothing terrible but it just wouldn't go away. Test and tests and it turned out a probiotic fixed it up. I'm now at 12 years out and take 1 Primal Defense Ultra each morning. I wish I'd begun it earlier.
Wow, this is good to know. I don't think I'll worry about the probiotics until I at least get through the post-surgery diet restrictions. But it's good to keep them in mind for problems afterwards.

Latest posts

Back