Do lightweights typically need plastics?

Onelastshot

Just curious if lightweights typically need plastics. I am assuming they still do bc of the speed of the weight loss with DS not giving the skin time to bounce back, and bc 100 lbs is still a lot to lose. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi @Onelastshot, My highest measured weight was 344, but I probably reached a bit over 350. I had a panniculectomy between c-sections, while near that weight, but before DS. I didn't have any PS after DS - I honestly don't think any is needed, but I do intentionally keep to a certain weight to keep curves matching my skin. (My chest deflates beyond a certain weight and perks up above the line. I don't really tend to have loose skin elsewhere even when I get to be a skinny Minnie.)

FWIW, I don't think the speed of weight loss is really a factor - I think skin resilience has more to do with age, genetics and duration/extent of being stretched. I was overweight for a decade, so that's a lot of stress on the skin.

All the best!

Last edited:
Hi @Onelastshot, My highest measured weight was 344, but I probably reached a bit over 350. I had a panniculectomy between c-sections, while near that weight, but before DS. I didn't have any PS after DS - I honestly don't think any is needed, but I do intentionally keep to a certain weight to keep (smaller) curves matching my skin. (My chest deflates beyond a certain weight and perks up above the line. I don' really tend to have loose skin elsewhere even when I get to be a skinny Minnie.)

FWIW, I don't think the speed of weight loss is really a factor - I think skin resilience has more to do with age, genetics and duration/extent of being stretched. I was overweight for a decade, so that's a lot of stress on the skin.

All the best!

Thanks, Hilary. I have steadily been gaining for 5 years and am currently at 256. I'm 36 years old and while the BMI chart says under 150 is "normal" for me, I think I start to look sickly under 155ish. That's likely bc at that weight about 75 lbs of that is still in my Texas-sized ass, but you know, we all have our curves in different places. LOL. I'm just trying to financially plan things out and try to guesstimate the likelihood I would need plastics.

Last edited:
Almost nobody "needs" plastic surgery unless you have medical issues from the hanging pannus. Are you going to WANT it? Only you can answer that.

Plan to save for it, and put the money somewhere you can't get at it. Then you'll have it if you need it, and if you decide you don't, put it away for retirement.

Well, I lost 117 pounds at 15 years ago and I could have used plastics on my tummy rest of me was fine. Now, and I carried the weight for about 5 years longer, I feel like I'm not firming up as well in my arms and legs, but to be honest, I'm more focused on it this time and I do remember, it took a little while to firm up last time but I did firm up. I'm hoping that happens this time.

I don't think speed is a factor as @hilary1617 said.

Everyone has genetically determined skin elasticity and so inflates and deflates differently. Those who never developed stretch marks on the way up the scale may have better skin elasticity so skin may shrink better on the way down the scale. Those who only went up and down in weight once in their life do better. The young do better. (None of these categories fit me. PS here I come!)

So it all depends on your personal skin elasticity and what you can tolerate appearance-wise. Just 100# (that's around what I lost) and you won't have islands of skin that impede movement and cause ulcerations, but it is likely you will at least have loose skin, probably wrinkly in ass and thighs and belly and inside upper arms, maybe flapping bat wings, folded over belly skin above pubis (panni), sagging swaying skin of thighs/ass. Pancake flat breasts are also a possibility. (BTW I had a TX sized ass and thighs too but no more. Flat as a pancake. Something about the DS as I never had this happen when I lost 100# on my own.)

Everyone is unique. You can't possibly know what you will be dealing with until you are to goal.

Are you ok wearing shorts with wrinkly thighs? Sleeveless with flapping arms? I am not. Either a thigh lift only in thigh crease -- no scar down the leg -- will fix it or I will never wear shorts or a swim suit. My bat wings are minimal -- I have naturally thin arms -- but the wrinkly skin of my inside upper arm has to be eliminated with a mini-lift with only an armpit scar or I won't wear even short sleeves. But that's just me and my insecurities.

Age, genetics, how morbidly obese you were all factor in.

Wrinkly skin doesn't bother me as much as the remaining fat that has settled in my midsection.

I go sleeveless if it's hot enough. Too old to give a fuck what others think about my wings. Wrinkly knees and thighs, I wear shorts anyway.

Even with all my weight loss, even a panni wasn't gonna be approved by insurance. Not enough overlap.

How fast you lose weight has nothing to do with excess skin. However skin does continue to shrink slowly for about 2 years after massive weightloss. What that tells you is don't run screaming to the PS after you drop half the weight. Some of the issues will resolve on their own as your skin shrinks as much as it can.

Very few people NEED plastics but many want plastics. And always remember you are replacing the fugly bits with scars!

Thanks, everyone! Surgery is scheduled for Feb 22nd and I am just trying to mentally prepare myself for the life ahead of me. So excited!

Latest posts

Back