Dipping into the Probiotic Pool

One of the manufacturers of fecal transplant material is Open Biome. They are turning poop into gold at $600/ dose. they won't sell capsules to individuals, but they provide contact with clinicians in your area that will prescribe poop. C dificile is the only diagnosis officially used; obesity is only treated in clinical trials for now. I don't know if the donors of the material in their available capsules are all of lifelong normal weight, but I am sure the donors don't have diabetes or a viral infection.

There are some do-it-yourselfers out there, but picking the right "donor" can be tricky, I would guess. It doesn't have to be ingested through the upper GI tract by swallowing capsules. Samples can be introduced through the lower GI tract by enema. Once you get past the yuck factor, it is very interesting. You'd be more likely to get potent, live probiotics through this route than through manufactured pills. If anyone is brave enough to try it, I hope they share their experience here. If you are about to get a colonoscopy, it would be interesting if the doctor would agree to do the transplant while he was in there. One theory of obesity is that we live in environments where food is too clean and we stopped living with or near big animals. Processed food is devoid of any of nature's dirt and therefore any of nature's helpful organisms. http://www.openbiome.org

It wouldn't be hard to do. Just take a full course of antibiotics to kill what's already in there. Then insert suppository for maybe 5 days or so and you should be good to go. The tricky part would be finding the donor. I would want one of those lucky people who have to eat like crazy to avoid being underweight. Come to think of it...poop from someone like that could be worth more than gold!

I agree the rear entrance would be the way to go. And I would do a pre-recolonization diet of psyllium husks and granny smith apples. They theorize these bugs thrive on butyric acid and that's how you make your own.

Another idea would be to culture these specific organisms and then use the same delivery mechanism. I don't think that would be all that hard. And much cleaner than the poop enema or suppository.

@KathrynK @Munchkin

-The testing for donors is extensive...if you need/want an FMT and have your own donor, it takes a month or more to do all the required testing and it is not cheap.

-I was part of a clinical trial at Mayo for the enema delivered product. Imho...worthless.

-I had two FMTs, one probably "almost"a colonosopy-type approach, the other more extensive, all the way to the cecum.

-The former worked for less than two weeks, the latter worked.

-It's been over three years. The "product" was about $500 for one procedure, the delivery was about $500 for enough for up to (I don't remember exactly now) five or ten patients. There were also charges for the procedure room/equipment/etc...but there was no radiology rpt and only one or two photos, so it didn't "count" as a colonosopy.

-The original weight gain patient was a normal BMI mom whose obese daughter was the donor. Mom got healthy, but gained a bunch of weight.

-I'm hoping something that easy will fix what I've got going.

Last edited:
As I have posted before, I have been taking VSL#3 DS for years now, it's day and night for me.

Latest posts

Back