Dietitian contradicts everything I've read here...

We will have a pissing contest later. Promise.

Don't buy a metric tonne(Kirmy's influence) of crap now. You will find your tastes change after surgery and the protein you thought was good is now rank. Don't go crazy on the vites either. It takes some time for most people to work up to full load. And here's a tip, many people find the iron nauseates them...add that in last. And the calcium is binding, add that in ASAP because many have diarrhea in the beginning. And Imodium is your friend. BUY some of that.

You are most likely not going to walk out of the OR and just start eating 100gr of protein and all the vites. It just won't happen. The first thing to do is stay hydrated. Sip all day long. Just keep your drink with you all the time. A general rule of thumb is 30gr of protein per day at 30 days, 60 at 60, and so on. Some rely on protein shakes and others don't. Personally, I hate them. The smell makes me heave. Read the label on your protein. Is it a supplement or a meal replacement? If it's a supplement, you need to add salts to maintain your electrolyte balance. Think SF Gatorade type stuff.

One thing you can start doing now is taking a multi, D, and calcium now. Then you can go into surgery with a bit more stored up. BTW, did you know most people are D deficient?

The stomach causes most of the post op issues and yours is already done. I don't think you will have a bad time of it! Try not to worry too much. Time passes and it all becomes automatic. Just part of regular life.

The nutritionist comments about low-fat foods can be resolved with a simple question: "why would I be at risk of deficiencies in fat-soluable vitamins if I absorbed most of the fat in my diet?"

About the cost of vitamins, don't forget you may have your income rise, because you may be seen as more valuable in the workplace and given jobs or promotions because you are thinner. Sad but true for me.

You can't screw this up if you commit to the daily protein requirements and daily vitamin requirements and annual blood tests for the rest of your life. You've been given great advice here about what you really need.

It's funny, because I've read over and over that you should be required to have a higher IQ in order to qualify for a DS.

And I have repeatedly thought that one wouldn't NEED a superior IQ if the MEDICAL STAFF PROVIDED PROPER NUTRITIONAL ADVICE. This is the real tragedy. Think how many could be helped if the DS was more available AND there were counselors (nutritionists) who could manage their supplements and labs! Trully, what a shame! I know there are docs who are getting away from DS because they think there are bad outcomes from the malabsorption without realizing that the bad outcome is from bad advice, as well as so many docs only perform(ed) DS on the SSMO who were already a more fragile group, health wise. Of course it makes the DS look bad through no fault of the surgery itself.

There should be a BIG headline grabbing medical malpractice lawsuit against a big name doctor at a big name hospital system for inadequate/improper nutritional advice regarding the DS. If anyone hears of someone contemplating a suit for damage caused by poor nutritional advice, let me know, because I will hit up all media contacts to have this covered by 60 minutes to 20/20. Only then will doctors and nutritionists LEARN.

Don't buy a metric tonne(Kirmy's influence) of crap now. You will find your tastes change after surgery and the protein you thought was good is now rank. Don't go crazy on the vites either. It takes some time for most people to work up to full load. And here's a tip, many people find the iron nauseates them...add that in last. And the calcium is binding, add that in ASAP because many have diarrhea in the beginning. And Imodium is your friend. BUY some of that.

You are most likely not going to walk out of the OR and just start eating 100gr of protein and all the vites. It just won't happen. The first thing to do is stay hydrated. Sip all day long. Just keep your drink with you all the time. A general rule of thumb is 30gr of protein per day at 30 days, 60 at 60, and so on. Some rely on protein shakes and others don't. Personally, I hate them. The smell makes me heave. Read the label on your protein. Is it a supplement or a meal replacement? If it's a supplement, you need to add salts to maintain your electrolyte balance. Think SF Gatorade type stuff.

One thing you can start doing now is taking a multi, D, and calcium now. Then you can go into surgery with a bit more stored up. BTW, did you know most people are D deficient?

The stomach causes most of the post op issues and yours is already done. I don't think you will have a bad time of it! Try not to worry too much. Time passes and it all becomes automatic. Just part of regular life.
What an excellent post, says it all!

It's funny, because I've read over and over that you should be required to have a higher IQ in order to qualify for a DS. I used to think that I was bright enough to grasp it all, but lately, I feel so overstimulated and overwhelmed.

Of course you feel that way. This is not an appendix removal where you can go on your merry way after a week or two. I felt the same way and I would reckon most WLS patients feel the same way. That's why it's important to stay connected to a place where you can get the facts and support and/or ass kicking when needed. I will admit there are several sites where you can get information. But for connecting with those who have been there and done that. THIS IS THE BEST PLACE. Some of the most valuable people here are unwelcome at other sites because they don't shoot rainbows up the administrators ass. There are too many Colonel Jessup's running other sites and their "truth" is laughable if not outright dangerous.

You are bright enough to have found this and become active. That says a lot.

Take a look at Puritan's Pride. I've recently begun buying from them as they often have less expensive prices. They also send me % coupons off and ones for free shipping.

Some of the most valuable people here are unwelcome at other sites because they don't shoot rainbows up the administrators ass. There are too many Colonel Jessup's running other sites and their "truth" is laughable if not outright dangerous.
It also helps that the admin here is also a DSer who hates having rainbows up her butt.

Hahaha... Looking forward to it!!
Thanks so much for all the tips! I've been on Vitamin D for a while now, and they recently had me increase my intake for the preparation of surgery. Calcium... Check. Miss Diana mentioned that, too.
The protein shakes don't bother me so far, but I'm so intrigued by people's tastes and preferences changing after surgery!
You really are so helpful, and I really appreciate you taking the time to get me straight!

It's funny, because I've read over and over that you should be required to have a higher IQ in order to qualify for a DS. I used to think that I was bright enough to grasp it all, but lately, I feel so overstimulated and overwhelmed.

Of course you feel that way. This is not an appendix removal where you can go on your merry way after a week or two. I felt the same way and I would reckon most WLS patients feel the same way. That's why it's important to stay connected to a place where you can get the facts and support and/or ass kicking when needed. I will admit there are several sites where you can get information. But for connecting with those who have been there and done that. THIS IS THE BEST PLACE. Some of the most valuable people here are unwelcome at other sites because they don't shoot rainbows up the administrators ass. There are too many Colonel Jessup's running other sites and their "truth" is laughable if not outright dangerous.

You are bright enough to have found this and become active. That says a lot.

Thank you so much! I agree, in finding this site, I definitely stumbled upon a few doozies!! Someone here found me at another site and redirected me, and I'm super grateful!
It has really bothered me, that although this surgery seems like an incredible tool to literally change my entire life, I cannot believe how much bad/dangerous information is out there. I am reading this stuff, yelling at my screen, and I haven't even been through it, yet!

Take a look at Puritan's Pride. I've recently begun buying from them as they often have less expensive prices. They also send me % coupons off and ones for free shipping.
I have been using Puritan for decades. Pre DS even. They do have good prices and they are a good company. If you shop there wait for the BIG(buy 2 get 4 free) sales and stock up. Here's another interesting tit bit. Assuming you set up an account there, go in and put all the stuff you want in your cart. Go away and just leave it there. Chances are they will email you a coupon in 24 to 48 hours. Sort of an incentive to check out. And if they ever screw up something they will more than make it right.

OH...and beware of the FB groups. Read all you want but verify, verify, verify.

Always remember the most important thing about supplements is just take the pills. You can drive yourself batty with all the 'rules' about what does or doesn't go with what. There are very few of us who actually NEED to worry about it that much.

And I have repeatedly thought that one wouldn't NEED a superior IQ if the MEDICAL STAFF PROVIDED PROPER NUTRITIONAL ADVICE. This is the real tragedy. Think how many could be helped if the DS was more available AND there were counselors (nutritionists) who could manage their supplements and labs! Trully, what a shame! I know there are docs who are getting away from DS because they think there are bad outcomes from the malabsorption without realizing that the bad outcome is from bad advice, as well as so many docs only perform(ed) DS on the SSMO who were already a more fragile group, health wise. Of course it makes the DS look bad through no fault of the surgery itself.

There should be a BIG headline grabbing medical malpractice lawsuit against a big name doctor at a big name hospital system for inadequate/improper nutritional advice regarding the DS. If anyone hears of someone contemplating a suit for damage caused by poor nutritional advice, let me know, because I will hit up all media contacts to have this covered by 60 minutes to 20/20. Only then will doctors and nutritionists LEARN.

This is also true for the RNY.

Not me. I'm never unnecessarily nice.

Be careful with the "chews." I believe they have sugar alcohols...things than end in "itol"...which can cause problems.
https://breakingmuscle.com/fuel/what-you-need-to-know-about-sugar-alcohols

Oh, great warning, @Spiky Bugger. I am one of those rare souls who is allergic to sugar alcohols. They give me a horrible neurological response that makes my entire body shake. First time it happened I was on Nutrisystem (which is loaded with sugar alcohols). My doctor freaked out when I could not control the shaking in my hands and sent me directly from her office to a neurologist for an emergency eval. I thought, surely, this is Parkinson's disease. The neurologist was awesome, looked over my chart, and asked "I see you're on Nutrisystem, is that correct?" Then he told me about this neurological response that some people can have to sugar alcohols and that it is like an allergy, but continued ingestion of the sugar alcohols for someone with this "allergy" can result in a massive neurological breakdown. I'm so glad you mentioned that we should be careful of the chews in case I get a nutritionist who recommends them.

@Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine I am going to be scheduled to meet with the pre-op nutritionist fairly soon. I'll let you know how it goes, but I suspect is will be much along the lines of how yours went. I have heard from patients of my surgeon that the NUT info is all geared toward RnY and there is little recognition that the DSers have different needs. It's like @Larra said, most nutritionists cannot fathom that fat is a necessary part of the diet for DSers because they believe fat to be dangerous; they cannot wrap their minds around the idea that fat is harmless to those who don't absorb it. I think I'll treat my NUT appointments like a fun little game where I listen and then ignore much of the advice while smiling and nodding in the affirmative the whole time. It's just easier that way.

Oh, great warning, @Spiky Bugger.
@Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine ...there is little recognition that the DSers have different needs. It's like @Larra said, most nutritionists cannot fathom that fat is a necessary part of the diet for DSers because they believe fat to be dangerous; they cannot wrap their minds around the idea that fat is harmless to those who don't absorb it. I think I'll treat my NUT appointments like a fun little game where I listen and then ignore much of the advice while smiling and nodding in the affirmative the whole time. It's just easier that way.

A shame, huh?

They don't seem to realize that EVERY bit of info they hand out is geared to a normal anatomy and available, for free, online. ERGO, the only people who might actually need legit advice--and pay for it--are those of us to whom the free advice does not apply.

And really, they figure out that because of malabsorption we lack sufficient Vit A, D, E and K, but think the fat/oil calories are absorbed?

Latest posts

Back