Diana is out of surgery

Having to fight nurses for Demerol - they keep trying to step me down to Percosets. I think my chart doesn’t include the abdominal muscle plication and they think I shouldn’t need it.

I’ve eaten a little and took Colace - tomorrow should be an adventure. For now, I have a catheter, but that goes tomorrow as well. I’ll begging for heroin when I have to get out of bed.

Having to fight nurses for Demerol - they keep trying to step me down to Percosets. I think my chart doesn’t include the abdominal muscle plication and they think I shouldn’t need it.

I’ve eaten a little and took Colace - tomorrow should be an adventure. For now, I have a catheter, but that goes tomorrow as well. I’ll begging for heroin when I have to get out of bed.
Glad to see you posting. Now keep advocating for pain meds. And keep drinking, it will help lube the passage of food.

I was tempted to tell you not to even try posting too soon, just rest, sip, etc, but I knew I couldn't stop you, so I didn't. Take it easy there, and maybe something not quite so drastic as heroin (I doubt it's in the hospital formulary).

Last night was pretty awful. I’m exhausted from being in pain and anxious about it. The gave me more Demerol this morning. I’m trying to get them to help me out of bed to walk while it is still working.

When the surgeon came to talk to me yesterday evening, he said that the anesthesiologist had to give me a lot of anesthesia to keep my pain under control DURING surgery. I didn’t know that we needed pain control during surgery - I thought that anesthesia works by making you unconscious!

I’ve got a slight fever so they are pushing me to use the incentive spirometer to keep my lungs clear. Coughing is unspeakably painful.

After the Demerol was on board, I was helped out of bed. Stood up - ok. Tried to take a few steps - even better. Took a long stroll up and down the hall and around the nurses’ station. I’m pleased that although my abdomen is pretty flat, he didn’t pull it too tight - I could almost stand up straight.

Came back to the room, got help putting on an undershirt under the binder. I’m sitting in a chair eating bacon with coffee, in a tolerable amount of pain.

I’ve still got the catheter in, and I’m NOT looking forward to the first poop though. In particular, I’m afraid the first time I pass gas, it’s not going to only be gas. Oh well - I guess they’re used to that.

In particular, I’m afraid the first time I pass gas, it’s not going to only be gas. Oh well - I guess they’re used to that.
That's gonna cause you to stress and make it worse. You need to relax and NOT think about it (if even possible). I remember when I had my back surgery and could not push, finding enough fat to make it an easy passage versus pooping myself was hard to balance.

Latest posts

Back