Desperate and hopeless

Again, I don't know much about Tricare, but to my mind, having a lap band REMOVED is not a bariatric procedure. It could be presented as treatment of a complication of a bariatric surgery that never worked right, in the context of increasing evidence of the high rate of lap band failing and requiring removal, with or without revision (there is another thread in the "news" forum where I linked to an article on this very subject).
Regarding situational depression, I'm glad you're getting treatment for this, because even when someone has excellent reason to be depressed, treatment still helps.
and regarding your grandma, and the family's general attitude of judgement and lack of understanding, sometimes you just have to forge ahead despite this, gather up your courage, and ask. If the price you pay is judgement, but you get the money, it's more than worth it. Remember this isn't cosmetic surgery, it's medically necessary care. Family is important, but even with family I learned a long time ago not to let their opinions and/or judgement get in my way.
Agreed on all counts! I think I have the courage to ask now. I'm going to wait for the official denial first though. Who knows, maybe my story will be different than every other person out there with Tricare and they will approve me for a revision to DS even though I got the band out of the country and don't have medical reasons for needing it removed. And they rarely cover the DS. Maybe I'll get someone on an off day who is just feeling generous.

Oh this is good! And I adore that woman! Is she on here?

She has popped in once in a while. I have not seen her lately, but you can PM her. She is @SmilinsShrinking. I PMed her once and she reponded. She also went to Mexico, so she might be a good person to show your Grandma. She might talk to your Grandma too. She seems so very nice.

The other person I really liked is this person, but I'm not sure I she is a good for a Grandma, but she made me laugh and cry. I watched her right after my surgery. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmYCxFMFgYOdozHezq2DCw

I do think since had the band, you might also focus on that study. Good luck.

There came a day for all of us when we were just DONE with being fat. Tired of being unable to control the size of our bodies. Tired of being tired. Tired of all the anger and self hatred. Just tired.

Sometimes the best way to fight an insurance company is to use their own policies against them. I am all about logic and here is a medical definition of bariatric surgery. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=23436 I would ask Tricare if they agree with this definition. BTW look at their definition too. If you can get them to yes, you have them. Removal of a band is NOT included in their definition of bariatric surgery, therefore, it should be covered as a medical procedure. Period.

You have a right to feel every single thing you are feeling. I am sorry that you're going through this. I wish I had wise words, but you got plenty of those and some great advice from the veterans who've posted above. Have you considered trying to run a GoFundMe campaign to crowd source the money for your surgery? That would require a certain amount of owning up to how you're feeling with family and friends, which may not be an option for you, but you might be surprised by how supportive people can be when they see someone they care about struggling.

Also, take a personal inventory: What can you sell? Garage sales? Any old electronics laying about: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/five-web-sites-that-turn-your-used-electronics-into-money/

Can you make anything to sell? Or do you have any skillset that you can monetize? I know a friend who paid for a wedding and her honeymoon by having bake sales. I have another friend who literally sold a zillion homemade "friendship pot holders" that she made herself--like these: http://www.nancysnotions.com/category/video+demos/simple+potholder.do

She got everyone to buy them, including me!

Take that inventory and see if doing some of those things can help you (Sell things you no longer use, have a garage sale, get rid of the old electronics, see if there is anything that you can easily make and then sell). You might not make all the money you need doing this sort of stuff, but you can start building a fund toward your goal.

Finally, is there a payment you make on "something" every month that you can stop buying and instead use the money to pay yourself every month? I'm talking subscriptions and ancillary expenses and such. Or, if you belong to a credit union, see if they have a "Christmas Club" where you can deposit money now and get back out at Christmas. Instead of using it for Christmas, use it for yourself.

I hope you get the support from family and friends that you deserve--something about a grandma who could help? But, if not, try to think outside of the immediate problem to diversify your approach toward a solution.

Story time. And this one is true. Years ago there was a woman living on the West Coast who was wheelchair bound because of her morbid obesity, weighing over 600 pounds. She was also quite religious and active in her church. Finally the day came when she was told by her doc that she needed to get her affairs in order because she wasn't going to live much longer. She was shaken to the core and confided in her pastor. He set all kinds of wheels in motion and the church set up a fundraiser for her surgery.

The day before the fundraiser she called the bank to make sure everything was set up correctly so people could donate and all the money was there. Everything she needed to go to Spain to Dr. Baltasar. She never found out who gave her the money and this happened over 15 years ago. So she has spent the last 15 years being a very active participant in the WLS community sort of as a payback to the kind individual who saved her life.

Sometimes good things happen. Keep your eyes open to the possibilities!

I'm sorry I didn't see your previous post. Because I've experienced such debilitating depression, I react strongly when I see it affecting someone else. Maybe your whole thread will help somebody who is lurking?

I know it's often hard to believe strangers care about you, but we do.
Thank you. That means a lot.

Story time. And this one is true. Years ago there was a woman living on the West Coast who was wheelchair bound because of her morbid obesity, weighing over 600 pounds. She was also quite religious and active in her church. Finally the day came when she was told by her doc that she needed to get her affairs in order because she wasn't going to live much longer. She was shaken to the core and confided in her pastor. He set all kinds of wheels in motion and the church set up a fundraiser for her surgery.

The day before the fundraiser she called the bank to make sure everything was set up correctly so people could donate and all the money was there. Everything she needed to go to Spain to Dr. Baltasar. She never found out who gave her the money and this happened over 15 years ago. So she has spent the last 15 years being a very active participant in the WLS community sort of as a payback to the kind individual who saved her life.

Sometimes good things happen. Keep your eyes open to the possibilities!
Wow! Was this you?

Just read your post. Please do not give up. For many years, I could have been you -- and I mean many -- 10 years. Then finally, I broke thru. While I was taking meds for depression, I had forgot other things. Went to Dr K and somehow he managed to get thru to me. My problem was vitamins. I didn't realize that being low on your vitamin levels could literally take the wind out of your sails. He got me going again. Haven't been this good in years.
As for the heat -- seems hotter this year than last year and I am no doing well in it either.

I am late to this, but I want you to know that you are not alone in how you feel. It is just so hard to do anything sometimes, things as simple as getting a shower or trimming toenails. But you are enough - good enough, kind enough, worthy enough. Even if it feels otherwise, remember that people here care about you.

I am late to this, but I want you to know that you are not alone in how you feel. It is just so hard to do anything sometimes, things as simple as getting a shower or trimming toenails. But you are enough - good enough, kind enough, worthy enough. Even if it feels otherwise, remember that people here care about you.
Thank you

Latest posts

Back