Denis' post op journey

I'm going to give a different viewpoint and tell you that I ate mashed potatoes and cream of wheat in the full liquids phase. I will say that I only had one or the other once a day, not little bits all day long, and it was probably about 2 tablespoons worth before I was stuffed. Even with that, I was still under 30 carbs per day. I was also doing LOTS of soups during that phase, plus ricotta, yogurt and lactaid milk along with a protein shake per day. At that point, I hadn't eaten any solid food in 2 weeks or more and it was very satisfying to my head while being very easy on the freshly cut insides. Not everyone has the same opinion, but I believe it you're mindful about it, it's fine. It's when you start eating mashed potatoes all day long with increasing serving sizes, or making farina your breakfast, long term, instead of moving towards eggs and bacon and such that you'll encounter problems. Keep it for the full liquids phase and then leave it behind you.

I'm going to give a different viewpoint and tell you that I ate mashed potatoes and cream of wheat in the full liquids phase. I will say that I only had one or the other once a day, not little bits all day long, and it was probably about 2 tablespoons worth before I was stuffed. Even with that, I was still under 30 carbs per day. I was also doing LOTS of soups during that phase, plus ricotta, yogurt and lactaid milk along with a protein shake per day. At that point, I hadn't eaten any solid food in 2 weeks or more and it was very satisfying to my head while being very easy on the freshly cut insides. Not everyone has the same opinion, but I believe it you're mindful about it, it's fine. It's when you start eating mashed potatoes all day long with increasing serving sizes, or making farina your breakfast, long term, instead of moving towards eggs and bacon and such that you'll encounter problems. Keep it for the full liquids phase and then leave it behind you.
Agreed Lauren.

BTW and is this isn't addressed to you, I am just replying to your post, I didn't have the DS to never again eat carbs. Carbs are not evil, no food is evil. If it doesn't cause stomach pain then I say go for it. Protein is always going to be our predominant requirement, but having some foods that are higher in carbs provides that spice of life. 15-20 years ago I did atkins for about 6 months and the crash when I couldn't do it any longer was hard because we are human and completely eliminating complete food groups (and that is what keeping to under 50 carbs a day is doing) is not long term sustainable for most people. Again, nobody (DS or NON DS) should consume a huge portion of their daily caloric intake from carbs so as long as we aren't doing that DSrs are fine to have some carbs along with our protein.

JMO

Agreed Lauren.

BTW and is this isn't addressed to you, I am just replying to your post, I didn't have the DS to never again eat carbs. Carbs are not evil, no food is evil. If it doesn't cause stomach pain then I say go for it. Protein is always going to be our predominant requirement, but having some foods that are higher in carbs provides that spice of life. 15-20 years ago I did atkins for about 6 months and the crash when I couldn't do it any longer was hard because we are human and completely eliminating complete food groups (and that is what keeping to under 50 carbs a day is doing) is not long term sustainable for most people. Again, nobody (DS or NON DS) should consume a huge portion of their daily caloric intake from carbs so as long as we aren't doing that DSrs are fine to have some carbs along with our protein.

JMO

Unless you're like me and those carbs will cause regain.
I'm not saying I will NEVER have carby foods again in my whole life...but rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, fruit, etc can never be a part of my regular diet again if I'm going to keep the weight off. Hell, I'm not eat any of those things now and I'm barely losing.

The amount of carbs we each decide is our best amount is up to us (and our body). For some, it has to be a militant amount, others have more latitude.

My husband and I were told by his nut (who did have a clue) that the closer we ate to the animal, the better off we were. So if we did have oatmeal, make it with milk, etc. Mashed potatoes around here is the loaded kind...I add so much to it (cheese, sour cream, butter, bacon bits) that the actual amount of potato is just an afterthought.

During my losing phase, I personally kept carbs between 70-100 (counting ALL carbs) and in maintenance, it's between 120-150. Then there is Star who has to keep hers under 30 grams a day. EACH person is different. None of us are wrong, we just have found what is working for us.

But we do collectively know that eating too many carbs (and that is subjective) is the fast track to either not lose your weight to start with or to regain. And yes, DS'ers can regain. My husband was lax in his carb intake the last two years. (I am NOT the carb police) even tho I did have protein snacks for both of us. He had a wake up call in early Feb when he saw his blood pressure go back up and had packed on 30 lbs. So he cut his carbs back, added more fat and protein and while it is SLOW coming back off, it is. He's lost about 15 lbs of that 30 lb regain. He wants at least another 10 off. At his height, he looks scrawny at a normal BMI so he will always be a tad overweight BY choice, but he was bordering obese again and now he's back down.

Okay saw the doctor today, I lost 27 pounds since surgery on the 22nd, doing the math it means I burned better then 10,000 calories a day but my resting metabolism is 5100 calories, so the math on all of this is totally fubar.

After speaking to the doctor today, my plan for the next 2 weeks is wake up - Protein drink, 2 hours later, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 2 hours later a protein shake, 2 hours later homemade tomato bisque w/ricotta cheese, 2 hours later a snack( JELLO, pudding, whatever) 2 hours later soft egg salad. Don't need the hot cereal anymore...I did try it once but now that I know I can have my Tomato Bisque I'm golden for the 2 weeks until I can eat meat again.

Okay saw the doctor today, I lost 27 pounds since surgery on the 22nd, doing the math it means I burned better then 10,000 calories a day but my resting metabolism is 5100 calories, so the math on all of this is totally fubar.

As has been explained multiple times, "calories in, calories out" is total bullshit for DSers (and others as well, but that's another story):
  • The first ~10 lbs of weight loss when a drastic decrease in calories occurs is 2 lbs of glycogen, stored in your muscles, and the 8 lbs of water required to keep 2 lbs of glycogen in solution. IT'S MOSTLY WATER. You were on a low cal diet for so long pre-op, the glycogen and water had been redeposited prior to your surgery.
  • You of course are not absorbing a great deal of what you DID eat.
  • And the DS CHANGES YOUR METABOLISM! There of course is no way you are burning 10K calories/day. Your body now recognizes that it has too much fat, and it is dumping it in a variety of ways.

After speaking to the doctor today, my plan for the next 2 weeks is wake up - Protein drink, 2 hours later, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 2 hours later a protein shake, 2 hours later homemade tomato bisque w/ricotta cheese, 2 hours later a snack( JELLO, pudding, whatever) 2 hours later soft egg salad. Don't need the hot cereal anymore...I did try it once but now that I know I can have my Tomato Bisque I'm golden for the 2 weeks until I can eat meat again.

Glad you got it worked out.
I am not sure of this "math" that you speak of. That is too complicated for me.

THAT is way to regimented for me. I eat when I am hungry...and that is usually about every 2 hours but can be every hour. Since I focus on protein first, not an issue.

And that 1/2 cup of cottage cheese may be closer to 2-3 BITES. That's partly why I average eating 8-10 times a day.

THAT is way to regimented for me. I eat when I am hungry...and that is usually about every 2 hours but can be every hour. Since I focus on protein first, not an issue.

And that 1/2 cup of cottage cheese may be closer to 2-3 BITES. That's partly why I average eating 8-10 times a day.

This is what I do. I have thrown my "Schedule" out the window. I eat when I am hungry, I sip water and protein in between eating, and when I do eat, I eat protein first, veggies second, and fruit third. This is working really well for me.

I did notice that when I ate the cottage cheese I had to eat it over the entire hour, I ate more like a quarter cup at first noted I felt kinda full, but old habits die hard I left the bowl next to me until my stomach calmed and then ate a little at a time until it was done. I should have taken less then half a cup to begin with but this is my learning phase.

Denis, if you recall some of our rather “In depth” conversations, posts we had several months ago, I told you then to (do yourself a big favor) and lose the stinkin math it DOES NOT WORK FOR US SUPER ABSORBERS. I’m an Engineer dude, and believe me, I’ve lived it, tried quantifying it every way it can be done and there is no way to reconcile it except the way Diana explained it in her post, re-post…and several other posts as well. “Exhaled Pounds: How Fat Leaves the Body”

I did notice that when I ate the cottage cheese I had to eat it over the entire hour, I ate more like a quarter cup at first noted I felt kinda full, but old habits die hard I left the bowl next to me until my stomach calmed and then ate a little at a time until it was done. I should have taken less then half a cup to begin with but this is my learning phase.
I can't leave food next to me...I have piranhas (aka dogs and cats) who circle my food, LOL. If I don't eat it in one sitting without setting it down, it's back to the fridge or to the trash with it.

Eat when you are hungry is good advice. Eyes much bigger than stomach at this point so small portions and slowly.... One bite too many at this point can end up making you miserable and the food comes back up.

A good indicator to stop eating is the onset of a runny nose. That happens to me and from what I have heard many others, when I am full

Eat when you are hungry is good advice. Eyes much bigger than stomach at this point so small portions and slowly.... One bite too many at this point can end up making you miserable and the food comes back up.

A good indicator to stop eating is the onset of a runny nose. That happens to me and from what I have heard many others, when I am full
I sneeze when I am full. others hiccup. The runny nose is very common too!

Latest posts

Back