Denis' post op journey

Denis Korb

I need some input, when can I have Cream of Wheat, Oatmeal, and or Farina? The diet my doctors gave me doesn't include it in the full liquid stage, however the UCLA DS Diet has it in stage 2, and so does some other diets that I have seen. Has anyone else eaten Cream of Wheat during their Stage 2 diet? This is a post op question my bad.

@Denis Korb well, personally I would avoid those cereals as they are all carbs. BUT the flip side of that, make it with half & half or heavy whipping cream and don't expect to eat more than a bite or two.

The reason for avoiding carbs is to use this as your best time to lose weight and carbs are NOT your friend.

And I am gonna split this off to a "sharing your Journey" thread since you are now post op.

the problem I'm having atm is I'm drinking my water, and I generally tolerate 1 protein shake, and some Popsicles, but then my wife makes dinner for everyone else and I sit and smell whatever it is she is cooking....I.E. Chicken in Sauce, Homemade Pizza, Tacos and the last three days all I want is a bowl of hot something to satiate me when she goes to cook dinner.

During full liquids I ate cream of wheat and oatmeal, both with heavy cream. It was pretty much the only nutrients I could get down so I didn't care if it was carbs or not. Granted, it was a very small amount but it helped to keep the nausea away and actually tasted good.

I had a heck of time with hydration because water, and every drink for that matter, tasted bad. Eventually I found sugar free grape cruch flavor packets and I use it to this day in my water. I still can only drink regular water if I am really thirsty.

Remember that your protein shake counts as liquid so if you can get those down you are getting a double whammy....some protein/nutrients and water.

Keep at it, it gets better....I promise

Denis, UCLA does not offer the DS. I suspect what you are seeing is a post-op stage 2 gastric bypass diet. It sounds just like the post-op stage 2 diet I was instructed in by the gastric bypass program that I ended up ditching in favor of the DS.

I would suggest instead soft foods that have some protein, if you can manage them, such as soft boiled or scrambled egg, shrimp, scallop, tuna with lots of mayo, that sort of thing. However, your main priority at this point is still water and staying hydrated, and a teeny bit of cereal probably won't hurt you, esp if you water it down a bit and go slowly. You could add some butter (remember we don't absorb much fat) or if you like what my family called peasant food, you could add a little cottage cheese. That's how we always ate it.

Glad I read this I try to eat cream of wheat often. It has a ton of iron in it. Guess when I go to the oncologist Wednesday I will be getting an iron infusion.

I made the mistake of listening to the NUT and trying that not far out from surgery. what a mistake. Painful, painful gas

@chevtow yea EVERYTHING gives me teribble gas.. but I keep wondering why I'm not loosing any weight things like this I'm sure thinking I'm doing something great and it's actually bad for me.

@chevtow yea EVERYTHING gives me teribble gas.. but I keep wondering why I'm not loosing any weight things like this I'm sure thinking I'm doing something great and it's actually bad for me.

Take everything the NUT says and throw it out the window. I eat MEAT with occasional fruit or veggie - mainly as a snack, and usually my snack is Jack Links beef steak sticks :) Don't forget though I'm a newbie

See if I could eat the steak and beef Jerkey right now I would MUCH prefer it to anything like cream of wheat guys, atm Im just looking for something hot...that will tide me over from here to there.

See if I could eat the steak and beef Jerkey right now I would MUCH prefer it to anything like cream of wheat guys, atm Im just looking for something hot...that will tide me over from here to there.

I am five weeks out. Cream of Wheat was on my Stage 2 diet sheet, but even the NUT cautioned me against it. I found some protein packed broth in the Bariatric store at my hospital and I ate that when I needed something hot on my stomach. After a while I found that I could get Hot and Sour soup from my favorite Chinese retaurant and strain it. There is so much flavor in that broth that it satisfied me completely.
At stage three I ate turkey chili. That was hot and satisfying as well. Lots of protein there, too.

You really have to experiment especially with the hot foods. I did a lot of broth and hot and sour soup (now I don't have to strain it).

Soup is a good option, both egg drop, as Munchkin suggested, and plain old broth. These will be more filling and satisfying than they sound. I also went through a tomato soup with melted grated cheese phase that was helpful, though you are probably a bit early out for that.

Latest posts

Back