Decisions...Greenbaum or Boyce

SJB41976

I am still learning/researching/deciding on DS, but I move closer every day to knowing that in order to lose at least 50-75% of my weight and keep it off, I'm going to need a metabolic/malabsorption procedure. Sigh. I am a VSG to DS revision.

I was considering Dr. Greenbaum in NJ because I am self-pay. However, Dr. Stephen Boyce is less than 2.5 hours away and is also vetted.

My question is (and I realize I may find this out through Dr. Boyce's office) but:

Is it a requirement to sign up (and pay) for maintenance program?

I've read his wife is the CEO of some bariatric vitamin powders which they push in his office...I've read they are crappy. Is this also a requirement?

I've read that educating myself on my labs and vitamin/supplement needs and doing it with my PCP would be best.

My question is am I going to be paying for a follow-up/ maintenance program that is useless or can I decline it.

Any other info you have about Greenbaum or Boyce (good or bad) let me know!

Thanks!
Susan

My question is (and I realize I may find this out through Dr. Boyce's office) but:

Is it a requirement to sign up (and pay) for maintenance program?

I've read his wife is the CEO of some bariatric vitamin powders which they push in his office...I've read they are crappy. Is this also a requirement?

I've read that educating myself on my labs and vitamin/supplement needs and doing it with my PCP would be best.

My question is am I going to be paying for a follow-up/ maintenance program that is useless or can I decline it.
Yes, their follow up is required and it is a separate payment. Even if you don't go, you've still paid for it.

Yes, his wife IS the CEO of BariLife which is the vitamin line and pre/post-op meal plan they push in the office. https://www.facebook.com/courtney.j.boyce?pnref=lhc (I am not friends with her so that info is public knowledge).

YES, educating yourself and getting your PCP on board is the best way but work with whatever doctor will help...maybe an ob/gyn or an endo, etc.

Declining his follow up program is not an option.

Package Pricing for Bariatric Pre-Pay Patients
We have been very fortunate to partner with the area hospital systems so that we can offer you a package price for bariatric surgery. This price includes the following for an uncomplicated case:

• Surgeon Fees
  • The hospital stay
  • The anesthesia for the surgery
  • For patients with adjustable gastric banding the first adjustment is included.
  • Twelve months follow up with our multidisciplinary team

Many of the surgeons have some type of "pocket" fee. It is a charge to the patients for some "service" that is not covered by insurance. It is a way for the surgeon to make extra money. My surgeon's office charged $500 for a class filled with misinformation and a worthless binder filled with more misinformation. I feel somewhat lucky to have gotten away for only $500. It is outrageous that they are allowed to do this but, there it is.

@southernlady YUCK! That's what I thought. Does all of their stuff suck and how do we know it sucks??? Even though they "push" the stuff on you and you pay the fee do you *have* to purchase those products??

I have a great doctor situation. The facility that I go to that specializes in Eating Disorders has a psychiatrist (it's his office), therapist's and he is also an Internist and see's patients there. They do labs there (or send you somewhere, IDK) I know that I could get all my follow up stuff from him. I have not talked to him about bariatric surgery/follow-up/supplements because I am still in the research stage, however, I'm sure it would be a great set up. I have seen him as a psychiatrist for anxiety.

Thanks!

@southernlady YUCK! That's what I thought. Does all of their stuff suck and how do we know it sucks??? Even though they "push" the stuff on you and you pay the fee do you *have* to purchase those products??

I have a great doctor situation. The facility that I go to that specializes in Eating Disorders has a psychiatrist (it's his office), therapist's and he is also an Internist and see's patients there. They do labs there (or send you somewhere, IDK) I know that I could get all my follow up stuff from him. I have not talked to him about bariatric surgery/follow-up/supplements because I am still in the research stage, however, I'm sure it would be a great set up. I have seen him as a psychiatrist for anxiety.

Thanks!
We know it sucks cause
1) I TRIED it and
2) I've compared the labels to the ones suggested by Vitalady.
3) It is FOUL tasting!
Thread with label and discussion here: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/barilife-vitamins-wrong-for-dsers.2578/

They are TRYING to get everyone on an All in One...and we are all too different to do that. Even with Vitalady, it's only suggested TIL you get your post op labs and can tweak them for YOU.

If there was an all in one that did work, don't you think we would be shouting it from the rooftops and telling everyone to get on it? But we don't!

Boyce is more expensive, but I wouldn't have to travel. So, I'm looking beyond price, I guess.

Hey there SJB, Boyce is my doc and I am self pay. I live near Knoxville and know the rep he has so chose him for my band to DS revision. The price quoted to you includes the pre op class and follow up classes. if you are insurance that cost is 1800 - I just had the pre-op education class this week. Post op you meet with the Nut and exercise philologist, not sure how good that will be - The pre-op edu class was 4 hours long the - Nut did her part - and yes she called it a pouch - there were DS'ers, VSG, and RNY people in the class, then the nurse did her part. I did come away with what their expectations are pre and post op. As for the Barilife supplements and vits - I am taking them pre-op - bought them before reading recommendations here. I bought them because the meet the ASMBS requirements - post op I intend to follow Vita Lady's recommendations. I had my preop labs and all my levels are WNL so glad about that. They do not require the Barilife anything - altho the pre-op VLCD they "strongly" recommended the Barilife supplements - however, they will work with you in identifying other options if you request. I chose to use some of them - using the protein bars and other 'solid' foods. I am using Unjury - my fav protein for the liquid parts of the VLCD. Hopefully that helps answer your questions. if you have other Boyce questions, maybe I can answer them - I am 3 weeks pre - op now.

Latest posts

Back