Day 6 after Surgery...questions!

Iheartbacon

I am day 6 after surgery. First day I feel more human like! I have been off all pain meds
for 4 days now (had complications so had to stop those). I have mastered the hydrating hydrating hydrating! I haven't eaten much. Since coming home last friday I have had a jello cup, an applesauce cup, 1 packet of oatmeal, couple sips of chicken broth and about 8 crackers. Yesterday I did eat
1 egg at lunch and 1 at dinner and they both stayed put! I still have diarrhea though. How long does that last? And/or anything I can do to help it stop? I'm supposed to try and get 80 grams of protein in...my next goal, but I'd like to tackle the diarrhea first...is that possible? Since dairy (like cheese) is not allowed for protein or "drinking" my protein...what are all your guys' go to's when you first started out eating more protein?

I am day 6 after surgery. First day I feel more human like! I have been off all pain meds
for 4 days now (had complications so had to stop those). I have mastered the hydrating hydrating hydrating! I haven't eaten much. Since coming home last friday I have had a jello cup, an applesauce cup, 1 packet of oatmeal, couple sips of chicken broth and about 8 crackers. Yesterday I did eat
1 egg at lunch and 1 at dinner and they both stayed put! I still have diarrhea though. How long does that last? And/or anything I can do to help it stop? I'm supposed to try and get 80 grams of protein in...my next goal, but I'd like to tackle the diarrhea first...is that possible? Since dairy (like cheese) is not allowed for protein or "drinking" my protein...what are all your guys' go to's when you first started out eating more protein?

As far as poop issues, applesauce and oatmeal will not help (assuming you had the DS). So if you want to tackle that before you move onto protein things....ya need to ditch the apple sauce an oatmeal and crackers. All of those will do it as well as your body being pissed off at you. Why can't you drink your protein...some of your protein?

Newly post op I lived on greek yogurt but you stated you aren't allowed dairy for some reason. You got to eat way before I did so in no time you will be able to eat lunchmeats and things like that. But cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt and protein shakes are very frequent in my life. Without them I wouldn't make my protein goals.

I did have DS and my Dr. said he wanted to me start getting protein in and to not make it protein shakes. I mean i can have one but it can't be my staple protein. I can't remember why the no dairy but had to do with Lactoise or something?? I will get some greek yogurt. If I can have cheese that would be great! Besides the diarrhea being my main issue right now, I know I need to eat more but I don't feel hungry and/or full when I eat so I'm not sure how to address that? I know an egg for breakfast/lunch/dinner isn't gonna cut it! lol

I did have DS and my Dr. said he wanted to me start getting protein in and to not make it protein shakes. I mean i can have one but it can't be my staple protein. I can't remember why the no dairy but had to do with Lactoise or something?? I will get some greek yogurt. If I can have cheese that would be great! Besides the diarrhea being my main issue right now, I know I need to eat more but I don't feel hungry and/or full when I eat so I'm not sure how to address that? I know an egg for breakfast/lunch/dinner isn't gonna cut it! lol

Some do become lactose intolerant post op. The DS cured my lifelong lactose intolerance lol. Not feeling hungry is so normal, its ok. The goals are 30g of protein a day by 30 days post op, 60g by 60 days, 90g by 90 days and so on. Some surgeons can be weight about protein shakes, mine was, until he realised I NEEDED them. This early out, if you can find one you like, its ok to supplement a little. You wanna be healthy and heal :)

So I never had a lactose issue so if I can tolerate cheese, cottage cheese, etc should I try and incorporate it?

So I never had a lactose issue so if I can tolerate cheese, cottage cheese, etc should I try and incorporate it?

Hard cheeses don't have lactose so if you eat it and tolerate it, go for it :) The only way to know if you tolerate things is to eat them and see. Go slow. Try one new food a day to see how it hits your guts :) You will learn your body inside and out and you will learn there are no 2 DSers the same :)

I had the runs about 5 to 10 times a day for 30 days. It gets better. In terms of food, this is what I did. I was on liquid - shakes - for three weeks. Here is the food that worked for me when I got to solids.

- fresh mozzarella mashed up with olive oil and vinegar
- Greek yogurt
- frozen pops
- Moradella
- Shrimp
- cheese - lots and lots of cheese. I would melt it and just eat it melted. Pizaa without the bread
- Eggs - though I don't like them much
- Creamy soups
- I still do lots of shakes. I use this protein pudding. It tastes much better than other stuff out there. Much more like dessert. THey taste a lot like the little pudding snack packs. I use this brand and it's not to outrageously priced, but not cheap either. Here are the flavors I like and I still eat three packets for breakfast everyday.

https://dietonsale.com/mocha-pudding-and-shake-mix/
https://dietonsale.com/marshmallow-chocolate-chip-pudding/
https://dietonsale.com/dulce-de-leche-caramel-pudding/
https://dietonsale.com/tangy-lemon-pudding-with-fiber/

Chicken and steak took 6 months to be able to eat. Seafood is easier. Pork is much easier too.

Good luck.

I'm sorry you're having poop problems, have they gotten better since you made the thread?

Protein is important, but your body has stores to get your through the first few rough weeks. Just do the best you can. Egg - soft boiled or scrambled, tuna with lots of mayo, shrimp, etc. Your real focus at this point is on staying hydrated and walking short amounts frequently. If you can manage that much, you're doing fine.

Latest posts

Back