Copper

I have been getting monthly labs since September of 14 I found out how malnourished I was. Yes that amount to keep me in range has a DS patient you have to supplement based on your lab results and can't wait for a doctor to help you do so. Frankly they would advise you to take way too little because 99% of them don't understand our needs.

And no problem on questions feel free to ask I don't mind

Thank you, I really appreciate it!! Once a month? Holy cow!! There's no way I can get my doctor to order the test for me that often. Are you just getting labs drawn of just the ones that were out of range the month before? I know everyone says we have to take charge and not wait on doctors but don't we need them to run the test for us? I can't even begin to imagine the cost associated with all the lab testing. I will just have to do the best I can I suppose.:(

@Marquis Mark 2 things to bring up copper: ensure you take it at least 1 hour apart from the zinc. If that doesn't work or you've already tried it, then take zinc and copper on alternate days.

@Marquis Mark 2 things to bring up copper: ensure you take it at least 1 hour apart from the zinc. If that doesn't work or you've already tried it, then take zinc and copper on alternate days.

I always took them several hours apart, but that didn't help. Now I'm taking 10 mg of copper twice a day (20 total) and 25 mg of Zinc every other day. My zinc level has never been a problem.

Do you have an opinion about which form of copper works best for you? Chelated? Glycinate? Gluconate?

@Marquis Mark So you're taking 20mg. copper every day and and 25 mg. of zinc every other. Hmm...I currently take 18mg. copper everyday and 300mg. zinc everyday as well. The only thing I see really different between us is my copper comes in 2 mg. doses. Not 10mg. I've used both chelated and gluconate. Both do the job. But it took a lot of tweaking to get my copper to low normal.

@Marquis Mark So you're taking 20mg. copper every day and and 25 mg. of zinc every other. Hmm...I currently take 18mg. copper everyday and 300mg. zinc everyday as well. The only thing I see really different between us is my copper comes in 2 mg. doses. Not 10mg. I've used both chelated and gluconate. Both do the job. But it took a lot of tweaking to get my copper to low normal.

Oops. I take 10 X 2 mg pills for a total of 20/day. My cerruloplasmin is down to 10 and my copper down to 53. No ill effects yet, but the trend is concerning, especially since I don't really tale all that much zinc anymore. I wonder if the three issues I have (high PTH, low iron and low copper) are somehow related as I they're all mostly absorbed in the duodenum....

@Marquis Mark That's an interesting thought. You may just be a person who has to supplement more and more till you reach a good level.

Many years ago when I began having side effects from low zinc, my DS nutrit. and I began my supplementation. We started low and had to keep going higher and higher. She was a bit concerned as she'd never had anyone go higher than 150mg. but we decided to see how it went. Eventually, we topped out at 350mg. (We recently lowered it to 300mg. as my zinc was high). I guess we all just have to seek our own levels.

@Marquis Mark That's an interesting thought. You may just be a person who has to supplement more and more till you reach a good level.

Many years ago when I began having side effects from low zinc, my DS nutrit. and I began my supplementation. We started low and had to keep going higher and higher. She was a bit concerned as she'd never had anyone go higher than 150mg. but we decided to see how it went. Eventually, we topped out at 350mg. (We recently lowered it to 300mg. as my zinc was high). I guess we all just have to seek our own levels.

350? Wow! Good thing zinc and copper are relatively cheap! Thanks for your input. I may be the guy that sets the new copper record as I'm already up to 10 X the normal dose.

@Marquis Mark it was explained to me that I'm pooping out a lot more zinc than I did preop. That's why I had to supplement. And to get the side effects I had from low zinc to go I had to keep adding and adding.

@Marquis Mark it was explained to me that I'm pooping out a lot more zinc than I did preop. That's why I had to supplement. And to get the side effects I had from low zinc to go I had to keep adding and adding.

So no danger of taking too much copper, zinc or other metal? We're just harmlessly pooping out whatever we don't absorb?

Latest posts

Back