Constantly monitor your medical record for correct terminology!!!

The mind-numbing math questions that used to be asked. They were mocked in the Hepburn-Tracy Classic "Desk Set." They are freezing, eating lunch on top of the skyscraper where she works as a reference librarian and where he is about to install a computer. She will come to think that the computer is to replace her. In this scene, he's trying to figure out, I guess, how smart/logical she is.

Sumner (Tracy): Now, this is a little mathematical problem.

Bunny (Hepburn): Mm-hmm.

Sumner. [offering her a container] Celery and olives?

Bunny [looking inside] Four olives, three pieces of celery.

Sumner: Right. That doesn’t happen to be the question. Now. “A train started out at Grand Central… with 17 passengers aboard and a crew of nine. At 125th Street four got off and nine got on. At White Plains, three got off and one got on, At Chappaqua nine got off and four got on. And at each successive stop thereafter… nobody got off, nobody got on, till the train reached its next-to-the-last stop, where five people got off and one got on. Then it reached the terminal.”

Bunny: Well, that’s easy. Eleven passengers and a crew of nine.

Sumner: Eh…that’s not the question.

Bunny: I’m sorry.

Sumner: How many people got off at…Chappaqua?

Bunny: Nine

Sumner [taken aback]: That’s correct.

Bunny: Yes, I know.

Sumner: Uh, would you mind telling me how you arrived at that conclusion?

Bunny: Spooky, isn’t it? Did you notice that there are also nine letters in “Chappaqua”?

Sumner: Are you in the habit of associating words…you know, with the number of letters in them?

Bunny: I associate many things with many things.

And so on...

I've had some of this identical conversation, multiple times.
There were a few times that the current issue (like back surgery or a kidney stone) was painful, and I decided it wasn't imperative that I make them clarify the record right then, but I should have. If I wan't up to the task, I should have had hubby do it on my behalf. I have insisted a few times they get it right, and did end up with "argumentative" in my record, which really pisses me off.
Particularly in the medical industry, I've learned we usually get what we allow and tolerate, and we need to demand competence, or we don't get it.

Latest posts

Back