Constantly monitor your medical record for correct terminology!!!

Clematis

We all know the confusion caused by the term Duodenal Switch being applied to a variety of different WLS procedures such as the SADI, SIPS, Loop-DS and a DS with an unacceptably long common channel. But it's not over once you get the surgery. Once you have a DS you'll battle medical personnel calling what you had a "gastric bypass" and when you say you didn't have that they'll say "ok, roux-en-y" and you have to say, uh no not that.

Well I just had an endoscopy and on all the reports, discharge instructions, etc it says I have a VERTICAL BANDED GASTROPLASTY with a POUCH, despite a long discussion with the gastroenterologist and my providing a ream of diagrams, operative reports and data to show what I did have. Four photos of my stomach are labeled "evidence of vertical banded gastroplexy." (And what an idiot that makes him look like! BTW he has never scoped a VSG or a VBG so doesn't know shit about the appearance of either.)

When I objected, the gastro shrugged and said the software didn't have a vertical sleeve gastrectomy option so he picked something "close". (It only shared the same first word, for crissakes.) I was livid and pointed out that another physician would likely believe the report of another physician than my description of what I knew I had. In an emergency abdominal surgery situation, especially when I was unconscious, a surgeon might spend hours looking for the "missing" band that I never had in the first place. Worse, would I wake up from said surgery WITH a damned band that the surgeon thought had been misplaced??? Seriously, if the software didn't have the option for "ovary" would it be labeled "testicle, undescended" just because it was sorta in the same ballpark? "Sorta" does not work in medicine.

Already my PCP has contacted me to say I must have been given the wrong surgery in that third world Mexican hospital... without considering that the fancy-branded Cleveland Clinic physician was flat out wrong.

We are currently battling this out and I may seek legal options if it is not resolved in the next week.

This problem is rampant. Last year I had a stomach x-ray at University Hospitals where the radiologist (also unfamiliar with VSG or DS) said I had a RNY with a stoma.

Don't let incorrect medical notation put you in grave danger. Demand -- IN WRITING -- that medical professionals amend your file to reflect your actual condition. And follow up.

(THIS errant and dangerous nomenclature is what ASMBS should be addressing.)

@OldBroad

My sister just had an abdominal CT and the report says she has a gastric bypass. I pointed out the error after reading the report, but didn’t suggest that she needed to get the doctor to correct the medical record. She does.

Again, complicating matters is that a duodenal switch is technically a form of roux-en-y, just not THE roux-en-Y. It is technically a gastric bypass, just not THE gastric bypass.

The terminology must must MUST be standardized!!! What entity oversees this? ASMBS? Each friggin' hospital system? What can we do to make this happen??

BTW, the gastro is not saying he "saw" that I had a vertical banded gastroplasty nor does he believe that I had one, only that there wasn't an appropriate option on the drop down of choices on the software. Forcing physicians to choose from an incomplete drop down has already resulted in numerous lawsuits. The Cleveland Clinic legal department swears they no longer do this... yeah, right. I have proof otherwise.

No, @Clematis the DS is NOT "a" gastric bypass rather than "the" gastric bypass. Your stomach has not been bypassed at all. Part of it was REMOVED, which is very different from bypassed.
OTOH, part of your small intestine IS bypassed, but gastric refers only to the stomach, not the small intestine.

But setting that aside, I completely agree that the use of incorrect medical terms just because they are in a limited drop down easy to click on menu is bad medical care and potentially could lead to mistakes in the future, and needs to be corrected, and I am confident that you are just the person to get the high falutin' Cleveland Clinic to fix it...in your chart, but probably no one else's.

Of course, you're correct @Larra Although I did have a doc insist that it WAS "gastric bypass." (He probably didn't know or grasp that part of my stomach was not in situ but excised.) Almost impossible for a layman to overcome that wall.

I'm confident this will be resolved, for me at least. This is not exclusively a WLS problem. Medical software at CCF is supposed to have an "Other" field with the ability to enter unique information. (Ha perhaps its more a BILLING problem as they need to connect it to the appropriate billing code.) I do have connections in CCF's legal department but I wouldn't want those attorneys to know of my personal WLS, so I don't know how far I will pursue this.

I'm positive you'd be amazed at how little they would care or spend time thinking about your WLS. It would be a big no-no to tell anyone else so I'd do what was needed to get things straightened out! Go get 'em Clematis!

Medical software at CCF is supposed to have an "Other" field with the ability to enter unique information.
I know the software they use where we lived did have the "other" field. This particular hospital uses Epic.
Back when I saw the hematologist, they added my multi as "geritol" since there wasn't a field for multivitamin. (raising eyebrows for snark). When I saw it in my file online, I made a point of having them change it and I watched them enter it. Their excuse was :well, it's the closest we have as an option". I said but it is NOT what I take. Please correct it. And then hovered while they did.

Recently, I was a 30-something male with a BMI of 19.3.

And when I finish lunch I will post something similar re lab work.

I will get to labs later, but...

I JUST got a call from the City of Hope surgical oncology scheduler...to, you know, schedule my breast surgery.

Only...I do see a hematologist there...and nobody else...and I haven't had cancer, that I know of, for 40 years...I did have a breast biopsy at the original City of Hope about 38 years ago. And while I am due for a mammogram, last one was fine.

Thing is, I'm old and dippy...if I were just a little bit older and a little bit dippier, who knows if I'd have scheduled tbe damned surgery...

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE "CARING" FOR US ?!?

Last edited:
WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE "CARING" FOR US ?!?

that is exactly what I think when I hear somebody say (or, more likely, see someone post somewhere) "why should I have to pay for a school system: I don't have any kids!" - hey, what kind of dumb country do you want to live in when you're old?

and helpless, I also think, because people seem to envision themselves as either 100% independent OR dead without grasping all the space in between those two extremes. like those who tell me "I would NEVER go in a nursing home, I'll kill myself first" as if some things aren't involuntary.

Latest posts

Back