Confession time! Need help getting back into Atkins

Oh @Parousia ! I'm in the same boat right now! I've been struggling with bad choices and the guilt over them making me make more bad choices. I haven't seen my therapist in a few months so I have an appointment next week. Hoping that will help!
I'm sorry you're struggling too, Lauren, but it is nice to know I'm not alone! You've done amazingly well with your weight loss, though! I just hope that I will be able to do as well as you've done! xo

Very possible...

As to the ICE maker, you may have said NICE but my brain READ ICE...I seriously did not even notice it til I went back and read that part three times.
I'm glad you didn't notice! I saw it immediately, lol! It wasn't the only error either :(. I usually pick up those kinds of things pretty quickly, but I think I was just getting tired and my post was getting rather long. I just wanted to publish it before I thought of more I wanted to say, lol.

I'm sorry you're struggling too, Lauren, but it is nice to know I'm not alone! You've done amazingly well with your weight loss, though! I just hope that I will be able to do as well as you've done! xo
Yes, I have, and that's also the response I get from lots of people when I talk about my struggle, but I don't want to end up putting all those pounds back on! It would, quite literally, destroy me in more ways than one :unsure:
But, yes, it absolutely helps to know I'm not alone!

And I am struggling finding interesting things to nibble on that are NOT crunchy...my jaw/teeth hate that right now. Things like jerky, nuts, etc would be great if my jaw liked them.

I roasted some pumpkin seeds yesterday...had a few but hated the way my teeth felt after...and since dh doesn't like pumpkin seeds, I gave them to a friend.

Yes, I have, and that's also the response I get from lots of people when I talk about my struggle, but I don't want to end up putting all those pounds back on! It would, quite literally, destroy me in more ways than one :unsure:
But, yes, it absolutely helps to know I'm not alone!
I totally get what you're saying, Lauren! I would feel the same way if I picked up weight again, after the long and difficult journey getting even as far as I have.

There is a psuedo-japanese snack called edamame made from soy beans that has a very nice crunch and not too many carbs. What carbs that are there are not the kind you have to worry about with a ds.

Pork Rinds are another option. I just tried them yesterday and I thought they were good. My husband thought they were vile, but he has access to other crunchy treats so perhaps this is one to save to try until you are desperate.

Broiled Kale with olive oil is not quite satisfying enough, but sometimes that close is enough.

I keep thinking there has to be something to be done with well broiled egg whites, but so far I have only created messes. Once I made myself Paleo crackers with flax and chia seeds and they were good enough to use a base for better foods.

http://www6.netrition.com/cgi/product_categories_display.cgi?categories=VLC,SNACK has all kinds of weird snacks. As a present to myself I ordered their low carb sample packs. Some of it isn't bad at all. Before my surgery I found that having a low carb protein bar every day was enough of a treat to keep me from cheating on my pre-diet.

Good luck!

@Parousia, you've had the DS. There's no reason for you to kill yourself to eat zero carbs, yeah? Perhaps switch some of your simple carbs to complex carbs (which you malabsorb some of)? Also, while quite a bit of what is available for low-carbers in the US is not available here, unfortunately, and I have yet to find any bread advertised as low-carb at Woolie's or Coles, it does exist here. There are stores like: http://lowcarbcentral.com.au/ if you Google. Also, Tip Top The One Wholemeal is quite tasty and two slices have 27g of carbs, but 7.2g of protein and 6.3g of dietary fibre. Not GREAT, but if you're going regular grocery store-bought, better than many others I've looked at here. So if you cut it down to one slice at breakfast, it's not going to add up to that many carbs. For lunch, I've personally taken to substituting Goodness Superfoods whole grain barley wraps I found at Cole's (http://shop.coles.com.au/online/nsw-metro-casula/goodness-wraps-barley-wholegrain ) - I throw them on the grill with ham and cheese and tomato and it's delicious.

So sorry you're struggling, but be patient - stalls happen to everyone, as you know, and the DS is very effective and your starting weight low compared to many. You'll make it. Hang in there. Just don't psych yourself out before you do. :)

Last edited:
@Parousia, you've had the DS. There's no reason for you to kill yourself to eat zero carbs, yeah? Perhaps switch some of your simple carbs to complex carbs (which you malabsorb some of)? Also, while quite a bit of what is available for low-carbers in the US is not available here, unfortunately, and I have yet to find any bread advertised as low-carb at Woolie's or Coles, it does exist here.
The problem with low carb PROCESSED food is that it is full of stuff most people really shouldn't eat.

@Parousia, you've had the DS. There's no reason for you to kill yourself to eat zero carbs, yeah? Perhaps switch some of your simple carbs to complex carbs (which you malabsorb some of)? Also, while quite a bit of what is available for low-carbers in the US is not available here, unfortunately, and I have yet to find any bread advertised as low-carb at Woolie's or Coles, it does exist here. There are stores like: http://lowcarbcentral.com.au/ if you Google. Also, Tip Top The One Wholemeal is quite tasty and two slices have 27g of carbs, but 7.2g of protein and 6.3g of dietary fibre. Not GREAT, but if you're going regular grocery store-bought, better than many others I've looked at here. So if you cut it down to one slice at breakfast, it's not going to add up to that many carbs. For lunch, I've personally taken to substituting Goodness Superfoods whole grain barley wraps I found at Cole's (http://shop.coles.com.au/online/nsw-metro-casula/goodness-wraps-barley-wholegrain ) - I throw them on the grill with ham and cheese and tomato and it's delicious.

So sorry you're struggling, but be patient - stalls happen to everyone, as you know, and the DS is very effective and your starting weight low compared to many. You'll make it. Hang in there. Just don't psych yourself out before you do. :)
Unfortunately, whole grain anything makes me gag. I presume because of my sensory issues. I cannot handle hard and soft textures together, eg. cake with nuts, soup with barley, etc. It's been a problem all my life.

Perhaps I need to give myself more time to get to goal. I'm just afraid of going past my weight loss window without getting to goal. But, tbh, it kinda feels like the window has closed already! But, yeah, could just be a stall. I'm not panicking yet :).

Not all whole grain foods are a combination of textures. The wholegrain wraps are just like any other wrap. There's no weird feeling to them. Anyway, whatever you decide is right for you, hang in there. You'll get there. :)

Latest posts

Back