Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

newanatomy

Makes 24 good sized cookies Or more if you go smaller! Just remember to adjust your baking time if you make them a different size.

Ingredients

2/3c almond flour
1 cup sweetener (I used Splenda)
3 eggs
8oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbs butter, softened
1/4 t salt
1/4 t vanilla
1/2 t xanthan gum
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 c coconut shreds (I used unsweetened)
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 tablespoon cashew butter (I used almond butter)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips of choice (I used Nestle)

Directions:

Cream together butter, cream cheese, cashew butter and sweetener.
Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well in between each.
Add remaining dry ingredients (except chocolate chips and coconut) and mix well
Add in chocolate chips and coconut pop the mix in the freezer to harden up a bit (10 minutes or so, roughly as long as it takes to heat the oven)
Preheat oven to 350
Spoon cookies onto lined baking sheet (about 1 tablespoon sized cookies) and bake for 20 minutes or until the top of the cookie is no longer moist and begins to brown on the raised parts.
UPDATE - One of my wonderful IG followers anmy amazing IG followers have tried this recipe with walnuts and cocoa nibs. I have yet to try the variation but I think it's going to be amazing!

http://blondiespaleojourney.weebly.com/my-blog/coconut-chocolate-chip-cookies-keto-and-lactopaleo

These cookies do not spread so I squished mine a little with a fork before baking. I only cooked mine for about 17 1/2 minutes. They were really good!

Ooooh. I have everything on hand, save cashew butter. I do have home-made macnut butter, and 6 diff flavors of protein-y almond butters..
.. I must make soon!

I made mine with maple almond butter. You can use any nut butter. I had to freeze half of the batch. They are seriously delicious. Not low fat or low calorie but they are low carb. So great for me but, not so much for my hubby and youngest son.

Both my husband and I live pretty low carb/high fat- so these are right up our alley! Are they at all chewy? That's the one thing I miss with baking w/o real sugars- that crisp edge, chewy center thing.

Both my husband and I live pretty low carb/high fat- so these are right up our alley! Are they at all chewy? That's the one thing I miss with baking w/o real sugars- that crisp edge, chewy center thing.

I so wish these were like a Nestle Toll House cookie! They are cake like in texture. I miss that chewy crispness of cookies and brownies too. These do scratch an itch though, promise. :devilish:

Yeah there's just some things you can't get w/o sugar or gluten, unfortunately.

Yeah there's just some things you can't get w/o sugar or gluten, unfortunately.
Speaking of which, have any of you experimented with vital wheat gluten? In my head, all the low carb stuff has such a different texture because of it lacking gluten to really hold it all together. I bought a box the other day, but haven't tried anything yet. This recipe might be my first experiment...
http://findingradiance.com/2011/02/24/magic-rolls-eades-low-carb-comfort-foods/
From a few of the things I read, you do need a little bit of wheat flour for the gluten to do its thing, but far less than regular baked goods would have.

I used to use in my pizza crusts- with wheat flour. I've never tried it with lower-carb recipes. It was essential for that chew with the high protein bread flour though. I would still be making my own, but we have a couple awesome pizza places in town now that come close enough that the time/effort is not worth the treat! I'd be curious to know how it works.

I also know I could use some malitol to get that sugar crust/chew in baked things.. but imo it's not worth it for the reduced overall carb count/GI, not to mention poss side effects if I opt to overindulge. I have had malitol candies- Judy's candies, which I cannot tell a diff at all btwn the real thing..

Speaking of which, have any of you experimented with vital wheat gluten? In my head, all the low carb stuff has such a different texture because of it lacking gluten to really hold it all together. I bought a box the other day, but haven't tried anything yet. This recipe might be my first experiment...
http://findingradiance.com/2011/02/24/magic-rolls-eades-low-carb-comfort-foods/
From a few of the things I read, you do need a little bit of wheat flour for the gluten to do its thing, but far less than regular baked goods would have.

Those look scary good!

Latest posts

Back