Citracal Slow Release?

Clematis

Anyone have experience with Citracal SLOW RELEASE? It is a combo of (2 tablet dose) calcium CARBONATE and calcium CITRATE 1200mg total, D3 1000mg, Magnesium 80mg, Sodium 5mg.

It sounds like such a good idea: pop in two tablets in the morning and it slowly releases all day -- no need to worry if one is taking too much calcium at once to be absorbed. The price for 2 tabs a day (1200mg calcium) is the same as the price of Citracal Maximum 4 tabs a day (1260mg) via Amazon's Subscribe & Save.

Cons that I know of: It's mostly carbonate, not citrate, so has to be taken with food so stomach acid can break it down -- but taking a PPI, I have little to no stomach acid so I wonder if it will digest. The percentage of carbonate to citrate is not shown not the label. The tablets are reported to be quite large which wouldn't bother me much now, but for several months post DS surgery I couldn't swallow anything larger than a Skittle.

One Amazon reviewer said she called the company to find out the length of the time release and was told 8-10 hours. So it is not a 24 hour release. Therefore if I do take this, I plan to split the dose of two tablets and take one tab with breakfast and one with dinner.

Thoughts?

UPDATE:

Just got 18 months post DS labs back.

Since my DS, I have been taking two Citracal MAXIMUM twice a day (4 tabs a day @ 1260mg daily total) and my semi-annual labs have shown a PTH in the 30s.

Feb 1, I switched to taking only two Citracal MAXIMUM ONCE in the evening (2 tabs a day @ 630mg daily total) PLUS one Citracal SLOW RELEASE (600mg) in the morning. My PTH results from yesterday show my PTH has dropped to 19.

Does this low PTH level mean the slow release calcium is being absorbed better? I hope it also means my kidney stone production will ease!

Latest posts

Back