Chivalry and Size

hilary1617

First time at the rodeo.
I was reminded that chivalry is by no means dead when I fainted at a Renaissance Faire yesterday.

No worries, it was a soft fall onto a dirt path. Next outing I will stay hydrated, keep closer tabs on blood sugar levels (darn missing half pancreas!), take it easier and stay in the shade!

It was surreal. I awoke to a concerned, costumed band of merry men with outstretched hands who, after being assured I was okay, inquired if I had the "vapors" and referred to me as m'lady. It involved a lot of phony accents and lovely thoughts.

I chose to stay seated until (1) Liam, my 11 year old, could summon my husband, Charles (who was down the path with Hannah, my 8 year old) and (2) I had enough sugary drink (which a lovely merchant woman immediately fetched for me) to be assured I would not fall again upon standing.

A few gentlemen sat on the ground in the middle of the dirt with me to keep an eye on my condition and so that others "would not take to staring" at me. Very chivalrous.

I am grateful to the gaggle of 20-something lords, knights, princes and peasants who offered assistance.

That said, the chivalry came in sharp contrast to a memory of another crowd's reaction to a fall with real injury I had years ago. Back then, I was SMO and while carrying a small child back to the car from a 4th of July fireworks show I fell and injured my knee (fracture) and ankle (chip sprain) in the middle of a hard paved road . In that instance, the crowd ignored us, parting like the Red Sea to walk around the fallen fat lady and her crying, bruised child.

It bothers me a bit that people treat me differently now that I am a "normal" size. Much as I appreciate the kindness, it makes me mourn the lack of it I experienced previously and discounted/excused at the time...

I have to agree with your sentiments @hilary1617 - I notice more doors opening for me, more men being nice to me, etc.

I think it's sort of like " aging pretty girl syndrome" in reverse. I have a friend who is stunningly gorgeous and (unfortunately) depends on the attraction of men for her self-esteem. As she's aging, she still gets attention but not quite as much. I can tell it bothers her as I don't think she *really* knew quite how much her looks played a part in her attractiveness. She has a great personality, too.

As an SMO, I was used to being invisible to people. But as I'm losing weight, contentious statement or not, I am becoming more attractive (there are some SMO people that are very attractive but I have a thick back and a thick belly and fat face, less so now but still there lol).

And human nature is to gravitate to the more attractive people. And society does not view obese as attractive.

But, I find it terrible that no-one helped you when you fell the last time, I know I would have. xo

Great story Hil...other than the fainting part. I LOVE the renfest. We go every year in the fall and sometimes camp overnight. We've found that over the years, It’s a great group of likeminded artistic people that really do live that lifestyle. A time when people respected each other and had civility and manners and put Women up on a pedestal where they belong ;). It also gives me renewed hope in some of our youth to see so many young people carrying those traditions on. I'll bet also that you would have been helped just the same if that 1st fall happened at a Renfest, even when SMO...at least I'd like to think you would. Its amazing though how F'd up people can be sometimes.

Glad you’re feeling better and do remember take care of yourself first always.

Last edited:
I am sorry you fainted and am glad someone at least sat with you. Your previous story is both heartbreaking and familiar.

Latest posts

Back