Chia Seeds

I love the meatball idea! I've been struggling all this time to find something similar in texture to the wet bread my great grandmother taught is all to use!
@Munchkin what was not low carb about your "tapioca" pudding? The chia seeds are all protien & fiber and coconut milk is usually pretty low carb too, maybe sub out heavy cream?
Anyway, I use them in my low carb granola since they have a big protein bang for a tiny amount, they're pretty much tasteless and all the soluble fiber helps to act like a "glue" to bind all the nuts and seeds together :)

I made these crackers yesterday, they are better than most I have tried. I did add a tablespoon and a half of toasted sesame seeds for extra flavor. I made mine big too. I like to be able to put a slice of cheese and some salami on a cracker. This recipe makes tiny crackers, the size of cheese nips. She made 48 crackers or more and I only made 19.

I also made some coconut chocolate chip cookies, OMG! They are too good!

I made these crackers yesterday, they are better than most I have tried. I did add a tablespoon and a half of toasted sesame seeds for extra flavor. I made mine big too. I like to be able to put a slice of cheese and some salami on a cracker. This recipe makes tiny crackers, the size of cheese nips. She made 48 crackers or more and I only made 19.

I also made some coconut chocolate chip cookies, OMG! They are too good!
Cookie recipe please!

Admittedly, I am a bit biased after seeing a tv-program recently here in the Netherlands. 5 years ago you would only be have been able to buy chia seed here in a pet store as bird seed (you still can). Prices have since at least doubled to about 16 dollars per kilogram. But now hearing that they contain a lot of protein.... maybe it's time to try them after all!

I love the meatball idea! I've been struggling all this time to find something similar in texture to the wet bread my great grandmother taught is all to use!
@Munchkin what was not low carb about your "tapioca" pudding? The chia seeds are all protien & fiber and coconut milk is usually pretty low carb too, maybe sub out heavy cream?
Anyway, I use them in my low carb granola since they have a big protein bang for a tiny amount, they're pretty much tasteless and all the soluble fiber helps to act like a "glue" to bind all the nuts and seeds together :)
The can has gone out in the trash so I can't check for sure but if I remember it did have more than a few carbs.

Admittedly, I am a bit biased after seeing a tv-program recently here in the Netherlands. 5 years ago you would only be have been able to buy chia seed here in a pet store as bird seed (you still can). Prices have since at least doubled to about 16 dollars per kilogram. But now hearing that they contain a lot of protein.... maybe it's time to try them after all!
Now that's great.... We are chowing down on birdseed. I need something to quack about.

The can has gone out in the trash so I can't check for sure but if I remember it did have more than a few carbs.
Hmm, was it possibly coconut cream? That has a ton of sugar. I have found some variance between brands, but the kinds in the carton (silk, trader joe) usually have very few carbs.

Hmm, was it possibly coconut cream? That has a ton of sugar. I have found some variance between brands, but the kinds in the carton (silk, trader joe) usually have very few carbs.
I guess it could have been. But I didn't think it was sweet at all. I added Splenda. And if it had more sugar, I'm sure I would have liked it more!

@Munchkin, my original link works- for some reason it's not working in the quote. Re-linked below!

I just made the dough for them tonight, used more parm than called for by a bit, and another T or so of chia.. and I make it with blanched almond flour (I weighed it, not measured in cups, as 110g was quite a bit less than a cup measured!) I also added some onion & garlic powder.. it's sitting in the fridge to be baked tomorrow- but I test baked a couple- tasty!!

http://www.theironyou.com/2013/09/cheesy-chia-seed-crackers-gluten-free.html

I have never really experimented with crackers. But I'm getting the general idea. I do have some coconut flour in the pantry. OHHH and a whole bunch of roasted pumpkin too. I think I will try with cheese, coconut flour, pumpkin, eggs, and chia seeds. And I have to use the oven anyway to turn the rest of the pumpkin into crustless pumpkin pie.

I have never really experimented with crackers. But I'm getting the general idea. I do have some coconut flour in the pantry. OHHH and a whole bunch of roasted pumpkin too. I think I will try with cheese, coconut flour, pumpkin, eggs, and chia seeds. And I have to use the oven anyway to turn the rest of the pumpkin into crustless pumpkin pie.

I think it would be impossible to use only coconut flour as your base, it is just too dry. Do you have some almond flour? I would use 1 1/2 cups almond flour to a 1/4 cup coconut flour otherwise your crackers will be more like sawdust cakes.

Latest posts

Back