Chia Seeds

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
These little buggers are expensive. Here's the secret to buying them cheap. The Hispanic grocery store! Usually in the bulk food bins. Turns out these little seeds have been a food staple for Central and South American folks for eons. So you can pay a bunch at the regular or healthfood store or go to the Hispanic grocery and pay less than half what the other places charge.

Facebook made me do it. Yes, I had heard about these from DSers but there was this recipe. All you needed was chia seeds and coconut milk. NOT LOW CARB. But it sounded really good. All you had to do was measure out 3T of chia and add 1/2 can of coconut milk. Shake. Let it sit for a while, and eat. Looked sort of like tapioca pudding in the picture.

I tasted the coconut milk and it wasn't really sweet so I added a package of Splenda. Dumped everything in a small jar and shook it up for a couple minutes. The seeds expand really fast and it thickened up and did look like tapioca. It tasted OK. Had a little soapy aftertaste from the coconut milk. It was sort of like tapioca with a little crunch. It was good but if I was going to eat carbs, I would still like tapioca better. I think it would be pretty disgusting made with plain water.

So are the seeds GOOD for me? 3T of chia seeds are 186 calories, 16.5 gr fat, 9 gr fiber(all the carbs are fiber), and 9 gr protein. 9 gr protein in 3T is pretty impressive. I tried eating some plain and they taste like vaguely plantey nothing. But they are crunchy. Wonder if there is a way to make crackers with them?

What does everyone else do with these?

I "drink" 3 T per day to get extra fiber. I add them to my protein shake in the morning and to my Miralax dose at night.

I have made some pretty good "oatmeal" with them. http://holisticallyengineered.com/2013/05/instant-cinnamon-oatmeal-low-carb.html

I haven't tried this one yet but, it looks pretty good. I use cauliflower "rice' a lot for meals. I like it.
http://holisticallyengineered.com/2014/05/cinnamon-rice-breakfast-pudding.html

I have made crackers with them too. I haven't found any that I like yet though. Most have a bad texture or have flax seeds added. I like flax seeds except they can be really bitter when you cook with them. I am continuing to experiment.

If I ever find a decent cracker recipe, I will let you know.

I "drink" 3 T per day to get extra fiber. I add them to my protein shake in the morning and to my Miralax dose at night.

I have made some pretty good "oatmeal" with them. http://holisticallyengineered.com/2013/05/instant-cinnamon-oatmeal-low-carb.html

I haven't tried this one yet but, it looks pretty good. I use cauliflower "rice' a lot for meals. I like it.
http://holisticallyengineered.com/2014/05/cinnamon-rice-breakfast-pudding.html

I have made crackers with them too. I haven't found any that I like yet though. Most have a bad texture or have flax seeds added. I like flax seeds except they can be really bitter when you cook with them. I am continuing to experiment.

If I ever find a decent cracker recipe, I will let you know.

I knew as soon as I seen that title that the "Chia Queen" would reply :D Her posts always talks about those. I need to try them, I never have, and...being as far "down south"...as I am, there's plenty of hispanic stores, so thxs for the tip!

My blood pressure has always run low except when I was morbidly obese. I have zero trouble with my chia seed intake. I have been to my doctor twice in the last two weeks (non DS related) and it was unaffected.

They are touted as lowering blood pressure but all supplements and "super foods" are touted as having many great benefits. I think the benefits for all vary per individual and per dosage.

They also are purported to lower blood sugar and help you lose weight.

Last edited:
Still waiting for someone to post a chiapet. However I have heard the plants are good to eat too. Maybe I will try sprouting some and see what happens. If these will help me lose weight I will buy and eat them by the bucket.

I am using my less than acceptable Spanish reading skills for this but it looks like these are usually put in some kind of drink.

I sometimes put a couple teaspoons in a cup of tea. They don't dissolve so it's a little weird, but they are tasteless (to me) and a great source of fiber.

When you guys say "3T"...is that teaspoon? or tablespoons? Also, is $11.99 for 2 lbs a good or bad price? Amazon has them for that price.

I got a huge order from Chia Seeds Direct online.. now I need to start using them again! I grind them up and use them as filler/binder in meatballs, make chia-seed "oatmeal".. make a chia seed drink with water/lemon/sweetener (something fun to drink besides plain old water).. trying to recall other things. They pretty much can be used where flax seeds can be- ground or whole. Not really sure on the whole "they can be digested whole" thing that you read on the internet. I know from my exp., they went in and came out looking about the same last time I was eating them often.

@Jo777 how do you grind them? I love the idea of using them in meatballs. Can I have your hopefully simple recipe??

@robs477 I measure them for the tea by generous teaspoons, not tablespoons, but I'm only speaking for myself.

I have a coffee grinder specifically for food things, and for making powdered "sugar"- erythritol granular, whizzed up with some inulin powder (2parts E to 1 I, makes a cheap substitute for Swerve.) Erythritol is the only sugar alcohol that is out there, that shouldn't (and doesn't for me) cause gut issues because of how it's metabolized.

I use a couple/three tablespoons of chia seeds per lb of meat.. grind them up and sprinkle them over the meat, add spices, egg or whatnot.. I never use a recipe :) Good and bad, as I ever can totally re-create something! They aren't noticeable, and though they don't keep the meatballs AS tender as milk/bread does- they do work. There's a few recipes out there- but I def would grind them vs whole.. not fond of meatballs with crunch?

Also- if you grind them, add cream & milk, cinn, vanilla etc plus another spoon of whole ones to a simmer pot and simmer over low- they thicken to a really interesting and tasty (to me) warm cereal.. thin out as needed or else you may have something akin to spackle.

Oh, and ALWAYS check your teeth after eating/drinking these buggers. They stick, horribly.. worse than poppy seeds and broccoli.

Latest posts

Back