Chevtow, do you know how this works?

Spiky Bugger

@chevtow

When we moved here...not too far from the rich folks...almost a year ago, the cops warned us that there had been several daytime burglaries in the area. And, as Christmas approached, tv news kept showing us bad guys who followed the letter carriers and delivery trucks around, stealing everything that had just been delivered.

So, when we have an option, we opt for "signature required" on most stuff...especially Mr. Sue's $2500+ meds. With no option, we have to trust the tracking info.

This week, we had three deliveries due...none requiring signatures. Per tracking info, they would be arriving Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Per the tracking info, the Wednesday package (several of my supplements) sat on the front porch for about six hours yesterday. This afternoon, I saw the Thursday package (underwear!) after it had been there only two hours. I have no idea when the rest of my supplements and a couple of books will show up.

So...what's my best chance of knowing when to check the porch? Do drivers/delivery companies get bonuses or brownie points for delivering AHEAD of schedule? If I check tracking...say at 8:00 or 9:00 am tomorrow...will the status show "out for delivery" if delivery has been moved to tomorrow and is actually on a truck?

Hmmm...I think I need a cage or something so that packages can be left securely. Do such things exist?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Go to your online UPS and USPS accounts and check notification settings. I get UPS and USPS emails saying packages will be delivered "tomorrow", then "today" (it just says "out for delivery by 1:00pm", no specific time), then "your package was delivered at 11:42am" This last bings in seconds after it lands on my porch and they scan the code.

Well for FedEx at least, they should knock or ring the bell when they deliver. You could leave a note asking to please knock loudly so you know the stuff is there. I do have some customers that have a box that packages are left in, that way they are out of sight. Other customers have given us garage door codes so we can put the stuff inside. When I get Amazon orders I get an email as soon as the package is left.

One other thing to try is calling FedEx/UPS and ask them to put a note in the scanner so the driver knows to Knock/Ring. When we scan the package it will pop up "Customer Request - (whatever you want)".

OR have everything delivered to a FedEx office/UPS store/Mailbox store. Which is a monthly fee I believe, but some people swear by them.

I forgot to mention that FedEx does this too. The second the driver scans the code on delivery, an email/text is sent to you. As long as you have your phone, you'll know exactly when it arrives. (I think USPS only sends the "your package will be delivered today by 8pm" emails. I don;t think it sends "it was just delivered now" notices as I don;t think the carriers have the sophisticated scanners as do FedEx and UPS.)

My beef now is that I have a 36' covered porch and yet one new driver sets my packages on the lip of the porch step -- only in the pouring rain -- so they are soaked if I don;t notice the "delivered" email. (There's some passive/aggressive stuff going on because the packages would be dry one foot towards the door.)

Well for FedEx at least, they should knock or ring the bell when they deliver. You could leave a note asking to please knock loudly so you know the stuff is there. I do have some customers that have a box that packages are left in, that way they are out of sight. Other customers have given us garage door codes so we can put the stuff inside. When I get Amazon orders I get an email as soon as the package is left.

One other thing to try is calling FedEx/UPS and ask them to put a note in the scanner so the driver knows to Knock/Ring. When we scan the package it will pop up "Customer Request - (whatever you want)".

OR have everything delivered to a FedEx office/UPS store/Mailbox store. Which is a monthly fee I believe, but some people swear by them.

I read this, learned a lot, but forgot to thank you. So...:ty:

I forgot to mention that FedEx does this too. The second the driver scans the code on delivery, an email/text is sent to you. As long as you have your phone, you'll know exactly when it arrives. (I think USPS only sends the "your package will be delivered today by 8pm" emails. I don;t think it sends "it was just delivered now" notices as I don;t think the carriers have the sophisticated scanners as do FedEx and UPS.)

My beef now is that I have a 36' covered porch and yet one new driver sets my packages on the lip of the porch step -- only in the pouring rain -- so they are soaked if I don;t notice the "delivered" email. (There's some passive/aggressive stuff going on because the packages would be dry one foot towards the door.)

Thankk you, too. I am trying to NOT be told that it WAS delivered, but that they really mean Tuesday when they say Tuesday. Gotta figure out a box for deliveries...

Google "package delivery boxes". I saw a few places. Or get a yappy dog. I use that method. It works, 98% of the time.
We had to fire ours yesterday...one box of our tile arrived...was set outside the front door...we were home and ours did NOT let us know.

We had to fire ours yesterday...one box of our tile arrived...was set outside the front door...we were home and ours did NOT let us know.
Well, actually this method isn't all that reliable with a mostly deaf husband. I heard the knock, then the bell, and the dogs were going nuts. I was in bed so I got up to see what was going on. I asked DH why he didn't respond. He said he didn't hear the knock or bell and the dogs are always barking.

Well, actually this method isn't all that reliable with a mostly deaf husband. I heard the knock, then the bell, and the dogs were going nuts. I was in bed so I got up to see what was going on. I asked DH why he didn't respond. He said he didn't hear the knock or bell and the dogs are always barking.
Thankfully ours aren't always barking. But they managed to get fired again yesterday. (the rest of our floor tile arrived).

Latest posts

Back