Char Shu Pork?

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
Anyone know how to make this? I have been trying for ages and can't get it right. I believe the glaze is a sweet plum sauce.

I have a recipe saved from Americas test kitchen, I LOVE it and haven't been successful at making it myself yet, but they're always spot on so this is on my list of things to make...

This is not the one that they updated recently, I have on my dvr and I'll post it after I transcribe/make it :)
http://icooksheeats.com/2008/10/05/char-siu-pork/

Last edited:
The dish I'm talking about is very red in color. And it's the same sauce they often use for ribs. These look good but they don't appear to be the one I'm searching for.

@Munchkin - you can buy Chinese BBQ sauce for the red glazey part if you don't want to make it
You're in NY, right? You can buy anything! But you are probably right. There is a large Chinese/Asian community here and we have several groceries and I keep on buying stuff but I haven't found the right stuff yet. I do have some strange leftovers though.

You're in NY, right? You can buy anything! But you are probably right. There is a large Chinese/Asian community here and we have several groceries and I keep on buying stuff but I haven't found the right stuff yet. I do have some strange leftovers though.
Ha, true, maybe I'm taking that for granted, but it's feel like it's easily found in the Asian section in a large grocery store? I'm gonna look in publix tomorrow :)

They sell the mix here in the store (Walmart, Albertsons, Kroger/Fred Meyer) - and while it's somewhat of a decent substitute, the real stuff is cured and smoked. "BBQ pork and seeds" is how we order it here in the West. It's a Chinese restaurant staple around here - and awesome! I buy mine at Costco (Yangtze Pork) in the meat section, all vacuum packed, pork loin pieces that are ready to cut and eat with sides of sweet hot mustard and roasted sesame seeds.

Damn, it's at Costco? I will look there. And I bet the ingredients are on the package. I am also going to an Asian market to get the reddest looking plum sauce I can find.

@Munchkin ! I had to look for this thread because I couldn't remember who I was talking to about it, but I finally found the holy grail! I've made no fewer than 3 different recipes that I've found and this one tastes legit, with a few tweaks that I made after seeing a guy in Hawaii make char siu on a cooking show (he said the red color comes from food coloring)...

4 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c soy sauce
6 tbsp hoisin sauce
1/4 c dry sherry
1/4 ground white pepper
1 tsp five-spice powder
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c ketchup
1/3 c honey

Cut your pork shoulder in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4 strips. Trim away the hard fat, but leave a little to render when you’re cooking. Poke each strip with a fork 10 times per side then put in a Zip-Loc. In a bowl, mix everything together until smooth. Take 1/2 of the sauce and put into the Zip-Loc, then seal it up and throw it in the fridge overnight. Put the rest of the sauce into a saucepan and simmer until reduced and thick, and glazelike.

Preheat your oven to 300. Foil a baking sheet, put a rack on the sheet, then place the marinated pork on the rack. Add 1/4 c water to the bottom of the baking sheet, and cover the whole thing tightly with foil. Put in the oven for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 20 minutes. Take the pork out of the oven, turn on the broiler. Broil the pork 7-8 minutes until crispy, then brush with the glaze. Put it back under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, until the glaze turns deep brown (BE CAREFUL. You do not want this stuff to burn). Flip the pork and repeat the process on the other side.

Let it rest 10 minutes, then slice and serve with rice and stirfried veggies.

Instead of broiling the large pieces, I let it rest a few minutes, sliced it up and tossed it with the sauce and then put it under the broiler. I like it super charred and crispy, some places make it like that, some don't, personal preference. Enjoy! :)

@Munchkin ! I had to look for this thread because I couldn't remember who I was talking to about it, but I finally found the holy grail! I've made no fewer than 3 different recipes that I've found and this one tastes legit, with a few tweaks that I made after seeing a guy in Hawaii make char siu on a cooking show (he said the red color comes from food coloring)...

4 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c soy sauce
6 tbsp hoisin sauce
1/4 c dry sherry
1/4 ground white pepper
1 tsp five-spice powder
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c ketchup
1/3 c honey

Cut your pork shoulder in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4 strips. Trim away the hard fat, but leave a little to render when you’re cooking. Poke each strip with a fork 10 times per side then put in a Zip-Loc. In a bowl, mix everything together until smooth. Take 1/2 of the sauce and put into the Zip-Loc, then seal it up and throw it in the fridge overnight. Put the rest of the sauce into a saucepan and simmer until reduced and thick, and glazelike.

Preheat your oven to 300. Foil a baking sheet, put a rack on the sheet, then place the marinated pork on the rack. Add 1/4 c water to the bottom of the baking sheet, and cover the whole thing tightly with foil. Put in the oven for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 20 minutes. Take the pork out of the oven, turn on the broiler. Broil the pork 7-8 minutes until crispy, then brush with the glaze. Put it back under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, until the glaze turns deep brown (BE CAREFUL. You do not want this stuff to burn). Flip the pork and repeat the process on the other side.

Let it rest 10 minutes, then slice and serve with rice and stirfried veggies.

Instead of broiling the large pieces, I let it rest a few minutes, sliced it up and tossed it with the sauce and then put it under the broiler. I like it super charred and crispy, some places make it like that, some don't, personal preference. Enjoy! :)

I will try this!!!!! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back