Celebrations galore! How do you deal with a month like this, one to two months post-op?

Parousia

Over the coming month, I have one celebration after another, which my husband and I must hold for various family members, including myself! They are:

30 March: 3rd birthday party for my youngest son
07 April: 70th birthday tea for my mother-in-law
14 April: my birthday
20 April: 21st birthday party for my oldest son

Any suggestions as to what I could eat at these occasions. I don't like the idea of being on the sidelines just watching everyone else eat. But it's still quite early out for me, so I am pretty limited. For the 21st we will probably go to a restaurant - still trying to get my son to make a decision!

Last edited:
Just thinking off the top of my head here at what I've done the past few weeks...but I was 3 weeks out for my birthday and I had a beautiful lobster dinner with family. For my brother's birthday last week we had low carb cheesecake (I had mine plain while the rest of the family had their choice of fruit compotes). I took cubed watermelon to a ladies social and was happy with that. Hopefully that helps with some ideas!

I was sooooo nervous about going to parties and social gatherings in the beginning. I was petrified of drawing unwanted attention to myself and my surgery being the topic if all conversations. I really worked myself up for nothing. The people who knew about my surgery asked how I was doing and whatnot and that was fine, plus I made sure to have a disguised protein shake handy and munch on cheese cubes, the insides of sandwiches, and nuts (those kinds of things are usually at simple at-home parties). If they are fancier occasions or you're at a restaurant, get some seafood! It's great on the tummy and won't make you feel too different.

I'm thinking of going to a Chinese restaurant for my birthday. I'll be almost 8 weeks out. Am I likely to be able to eat that kind of food by then?

I just went out the other night for my first Chinese food experience post-op. I ordered a stir fried shrimp and beef dish. My son happily took the fried rice, hubby the veggies that came along with it, and I was very satified with the meat! I just ate slowly and enjoyed each bite so I didn't fill up too quickly!

I should think since I was then 6 weeks out, you should be somewhat similar at 8! Best wishes to you! :)

Christmas was 3 weeks postop for me. I ate one jumbo shrimp with cocktail sauce, a couple bites of turkey with gravy, one nibble of dressing, and a crumb of.....what's that fabulous crunchy Polish pastry? It was a delightful celebration with cherished friends, and that's what counted.

6 weeks out I nibbled my way through a skewer of grilled shrimp at a restaurant, couple ounces total. That was a fun gathering, as well.

My first postop Chinese food was somewhere around 6-8 weeks out and was some shrimp and "scallops" (unsure whether they were true scallops or just shaped soft white fish) picked out of a light sauce. I'd been doing egg drop soup for many weeks and hot/sour soup for a couple of weeks by then.

Parousia- if you do go out for Chinese, egg drop soup is always good, hot and sour (I asked for it not spicy in the beginning) has even more protein and I almost always get egg foo young. Plus you can get any of the shrimp dishes and just eat the best part! I've also gotten dumplings and just eaten the insides dipped in the yummy sauce. It's totally doable :)
P.S. That's only what I ate in the beginning, I have lots more variety now!

Over the coming month, I have one celebration after another, which my husband and I must hold for various family members, including myself! They are:

30 March: 3rd birthday party for my youngest son
07 April: 70th birthday tea for my mother-in-law
14 April: my birthday
20 April: 21st birthday party for my oldest son

Any suggestions as to what I could eat at these occasions. I don't like the idea of being on the sidelines just watching everyone else eat. But it's still quite early out for me, so I am pretty limited. For the 21st we will probably go to a restaurant - still trying to get my son to make a decision!
I used to stash a lot of cream cheese pancakes in my handbag early out, wrapped in cling film. The recipe's here http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html

Eggs are a very absorbable form of protein so they're a great choice.

Thanks for all the feedback! There are some great suggestions here :). Not sure that I could take my own food into a restaurant, but @huneypie I'm going to have to try those pancakes sometime!

I don't think that Chinese restaurants here do egg drop soup, unfortunately. I've never seen it on a menu. In fact, I'd never heard of it before coming on here and PB. I will look out for it, though, just in case. It sounds pretty good! My MIL has decided that she wants to take us out to a Chinese restaurant for her birthday, so I'm going to have to think of something else for mine!

I'm thinking of going to a Chinese restaurant for my birthday. I'll be almost 8 weeks out. Am I likely to be able to eat that kind of food by then?

If you pick the meat out of things and stick to that. I'm still not doing well with veg and I had a weak moment yesterday and cheated a bit and omg it was the BEST thing I EVER did. I hated life for about 20 hours. Constant crapping, cramping, sweating and ass burning cos it crapped so much it hurt to sit. Seriously. I'm a boundary pusher and I pushed a bit too hard and I am 100% happy I did it cos it has me running scared from anything that doesn't come from things with legs!!!! Be careful! And if you do experiment, be close, VERY CLOSE TO THE LOO, with lots of loo roll on hand! :)

Enjoy your celebrations :)

Thanks, everyone. I guess it comes down to eating slowly and carefully, chewing well, and sticking with meat as far as possible (to avoid any loo emergencies!)

Parousia- if you do go out for Chinese, egg drop soup is always good, hot and sour (I asked for it not spicy in the beginning) has even more protein and I almost always get egg foo young. Plus you can get any of the shrimp dishes and just eat the best part! I've also gotten dumplings and just eaten the insides dipped in the yummy sauce. It's totally doable :)
P.S. That's only what I ate in the beginning, I have lots more variety now!
I love egg foo yong, but I don't think I could manage it yet. I'm still on super-soft (barely cooked) scrambled eggs. Some great ideas, though. Thanks :).

Latest posts

Back