California, Plastics and Insurance

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
Not all that long ago I believe Diana found a way to get plastics covered by insurance for those in California. I don't remember the specifics of it and I am hoping she will post that information. Or perhaps the loophole has been closed and no longer exists.

Thanks!

Not all that long ago I believe Diana found a way to get plastics covered by insurance for those in California. I don't remember the specifics of it and I am hoping she will post that information. Or perhaps the loophole has been closed and no longer exists.

Thanks!

Can't speak for Diana, but I have read a bit on this topic.

Way back, California insurers decided to pay for plastic surgery that was medically necessary. ONLY if it was medically necessary.

But then came a California law that requires insurers to cover reconstructive plastic surgery...such as rebuilding a post-mastectomy breast or creating an external ear when one was missing at birth or destroyed in an accident. Essentially, they must pay to make body structures appear and function as close to normal as possible, particularly when the "not normal appearance" is the result of a congenital defect, or an accident or disease...and maybe even by previous surgery, but I'm not sure on that.

Anyway, insurance companies folded and started paying for (some...and you often had to argue about it) reconstructive surgeries, after mastectomies, for example.

And then one day, when no insurance company stockholders were paying attention...morbid obesity was classified as a disease. Ut-oh.

Soooo....if you were morbidly obese (a disease) and that made you funny looking, especially when your MO was "cured," you are a candidate for reconstructive plastic surgery to try to make you look as normal as possible and get rid of your funny-looking-ness which was the result of that disease.

Of course...now you have to find a couple of doctors to say you are funny-looking and that you are funny-looking because of your disease and THEN...this is really tough...find a plastic surgeon who wants to perform the surgery for insurance reimbursement rates as opposed to what he can get you to write a check for.

At least, that was my take-away on the information.

Well, it came down a little differently - more like this - but the general idea was right:

In 1999, Cal. Health & Safety Code 1367.63 went into effect (http://www.dmhc.ca.gov/library/stat...ebhelp/___1367.63._Reconstructive_surgery.htm) It requires that medical insurance plans in California that are fully-funded (subject to CA Dept. of Insurance/DMHC regulation) pay for reconstructive surgery when the patient needs
"surgery performed to correct or repair abnormal structures of the body caused by congenital defects, developmental abnormalities, trauma, infection, tumors, or disease to do either of the following(1) To improve function.
(2) To create a normal appearance, to the extent possible." [NO MEDICAL NECESSITY REQUIREMENT]

This law was prompted by a case where a young boy who was born without ears and deaf (permanently) was denied recon surgery to give him [medically unnecessary, because he'd still be deaf] outer ears to make him at least look a little more normal.

By 2007, when I applied for recon surgery, nobody had ever (to my knowledge) used this provision to try to get post-bariatric skin removal covered.

I was denied by HealthNet, appealed my denial, and it went to the DMHC. And they ruled in my favor, and ordered HealthNet to cover my surgeries. And HealthNet refused to comply. An action against HealthNet was instituted by the DMHC, but it was going to take a long time.

So I found a class action lawyer and convinced them to take the case. It took a few years (in fact, the issue that turned the tide was the DMHC finally getting HealthNet to consent and concede they should not have denied as not medically necessary), but the class action/multiparty case was settled, to my satisfaction. The issue in the case was whether morbid obesity was a disease that qualified under the statute (the actual issue, for the lawyers, was insurance bad faith failure to pay a claim). Take a look at what HealthNet agreed to in the DMHC portion of the case:

Following the survey, the Plan acknowledged that surgical procedures to remove redundant skin
following weight loss from bariatric surgery may qualify for coverage as “reconstructive
surgery” under Health and Safety Code section 1367.63 if the redundant skin constitutes
abnormal structures of the body caused by congenital defects, developmental abnormalities,
trauma, infection, tumor or disease and the procedure is to either improve function or create a
normal appearance, to the extent possible. The Plan also acknowledged that it will not deny
authorization for such skin reduction procedures on the basis that morbid obesity is not a disease
within the meaning of Section 1367.63.​

HOWEVER: Unfortunately, based on the recently issued follow up survey, HealthNet just got better at papering their denials: http://www.dmhc.ca.gov/library/reports/med_survey/surveys/300fsnr111113.pdf But - at least they are arguably applying the law, even if they are making subjective determinations all against the patient.

While I was working with the law firm on my case, they wanted to go after another insurance company. I checked around with my DS friends and found them a lead plaintiff for that case. It turned out to be MUCH bigger, and the results are publicly available: http://gilardi.com/bluecrosslitigation/pdf/CourtOrderandJudgmentreFinalApproval.pdf ($3.2M settlement).

And there is a case against Kaiser which was just certified as a class action:
http://apps.alameda.courts.ca.gov/d...mgviewer.html&rofadt=12/23/13&Action=29640525
http://apps.alameda.courts.ca.gov/d...action.html&CaseNbr=RG12616206&CurrBatchNbr=1

The lawyers in the cases are:
http://www.gmlawyers.com/Health-Insurance-Claims/Reconstructive-Surgery-Claims.aspx

If you're in CA and would like to take a case against your insurance company, give them a call! Tell them I sent you - though I don't get anything for it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back