Bulletproof Coffee

Some of the FB groups are wild about this stuff. Some of them insist you have to use grass fed organic butter like Kerrygold. Me personally, not a huge fan. Tastes like greasy coffee to me. I do use HWC in my coffee and that adds enough fat for me. Not a huge fan of Kerrygold either(heresy). To me, it's salty!

Butter and coffee are two of my greatest loves, but I don't want them to meet. I put HWC in my coffee, and I also enjoy coconut "cream" in my coffee too, but have realized there are more coconut milk products than I realized, and don't like the greasy almost coconut oil stuff in my coffee, and don't like the watery stuff either. I like the stuff that is very white, and creamy.
I don't' battle constipation and don't have trouble finding a way to get fat into my diet, so I don't look for new ways to add fat. Not sure I'll ever try bullet proof coffee, and so far it's in a "coffee blasphemy" category for me.

The vets will correct me if I am much mistaken, but isn't there this school of thought circulating around that DSers actually absorb more of the fat content in coconut oil than in a more saturated fat like butter or other saturated oils? At any rate, if I were to go with the BPC, I would use butter, not coconut oil. I've tried BPC and it's okay, but like @Munchkin and the others here have mentioned, I use HWC and that adds enough fat to my coffee without making it greasy. That said, I eat metric tons of butter a week in my food. Do what works for you and don't bother eating or drinking anything you don't actually enjoy :)

The vets will correct me if I am much mistaken, but isn't there this school of thought circulating around that DSers actually absorb more of the fat content in coconut oil than in a more saturated fat like butter or other saturated oils? At any rate, if I were to go with the BPC, I would use butter, not coconut oil. I've tried BPC and it's okay, but like @Munchkin and the others here have mentioned, I use HWC and that adds enough fat to my coffee without making it greasy. That said, I eat metric tons of butter a week in my food. Do what works for you and don't bother eating or drinking anything you don't actually enjoy :)
Coconut oil is a medium train tryglecride which we supposedly do absorb much more of in our gut.
I avoided the coconut oil cause even tho I like the smell and flavor of coconut, I don’t want it in my coffee.

^^^ What SouthernLady said. Despite how much fat I eat, I still have issues with low cholesterol and my skin, hair and brain cells all feel better if I get some fat absorbed, but that IS a consideration if you aren't wanting to absorb more.

I do a heaping spoon of coconut oil every morning in my protein coffee shake. I mix a scoop of protein powder in hot water to blend it, then brew a cup of coffee with the coconut oil. Emulsify with a little hand frother and then add my protein mix. I used to use heavy cream and switched to coconut oil but am debating the switch back so that I’m not absorbing the fat. I haven’t noticed anything negative from the possible absorption of the coconut oil though.

No thank you. I use about 10% half and half plus two table spoons of the brown cane sugar in my coffee. I am not one who believes in eating a bunch of fat for several reasons but the biggest being, too much fat causes oil slicks for me. I don't avoid foods with fat as I eat things like fried chicken, fatty steak, butter and sour cream on my baked potato, heavy cream sauces etc but things like salami and pepperoni can be really rough on my system.

No thank you. I use about 10% half and half plus two table spoons of the brown cane sugar in my coffee. I am not one who believes in eating a bunch of fat for several reasons but the biggest being, too much fat causes oil slicks for me. I don't avoid foods with fat as I eat things like fried chicken, fatty steak, butter and sour cream on my baked potato, heavy cream sauces etc but things like salami and pepperoni can be really rough on my system.

This is one of those situations where I'm amused at how different we are. I have to get a LOT of fat to get an oil slick and the coconut oil in my coffee is just one tool I use to manage a smooth end-to-end flow ;)

I think this is a great option for those who do not get enough fat in their and/or may border on constipation. But it's def. a required taste.

Also, Scott, I'm totally jealous of your fat eating. I am married to a man who is fat sensitive so cooking separate meals to get things like cream sauce, is not happening so it doesn't get eaten in my house. His stomach tolerance appears to be about 1/2 cup of cream in a recipe for 4-6. Me, I like a 1/2 cup of cream in my coffee but ... :)

This is one of those situations where I'm amused at how different we are. I have to get a LOT of fat to get an oil slick and the coconut oil in my coffee is just one tool I use to manage a smooth end-to-end flow ;)

I think this is a great option for those who do not get enough fat in their and/or may border on constipation. But it's def. a required taste.

Also, Scott, I'm totally jealous of your fat eating. I am married to a man who is fat sensitive so cooking separate meals to get things like cream sauce, is not happening so it doesn't get eaten in my house. His stomach tolerance appears to be about 1/2 cup of cream in a recipe for 4-6. Me, I like a 1/2 cup of cream in my coffee but ... :)
Hi Tali - It has been too long since hearing from you. I am glad to see your post and hope life is going well for you.

Too funny on your hubby and his not fat tolerance vs yours....and I like a lot of cream in my coffee too and unfortunately sugar as well. :D

No doubt we are all different when it comes to what our systems needs as far as types of food eaten. That is one of the reasons I cringe when on a FB group or somewhere and new people are told to get X amount of fat daily, don't dare go over the magical 50 carbs a day number or their head will instantly explode and they will also instantly gain 49 pounds a day, and then finally calories don't matter. At the end of the day when it comes to weight control it is calories absorbed - calories expended. The way we absorb foods changed, but that basic human function did not change. I am a firm believer that just like our systems respond to different foods going in as to how it comes out (couldn't think of another good way to say that :D ) our systems also have different levels of absorption of different nutrients so one can eat more carbs than others. I am 100% convinced that I do not absorb any food at 100%, not a doughnut and not a steak. I get away with eating more carbs than others but I still suspect those who say they gain if they eat more than 50 carbs a day that they are also eating other sources of food that in totality put them at a caloric excess and that when they cut carbs to below the 50 number that throws them back in to deficit or equilibrium.

My suspicion is that a large contributor our calorie absorption is our total absorbing path length relative to our total SBL, but I also believe our small intestine make up/structure/villi density, etc also plays a large role. I had my Gallbladder out in 2010 or 11 (I honestly can't remember...how pathetic is that) and ever since then I have been IBS'y. That is without a doubt in my mind, a big reason why too much fat and from certain types of food, gives me slicks. I have always tried to control bowel motility by eating fibrous vegetables rather than fat and starting what Dr K refers to as the Crap Cycle (play on Krebs cycle). That doesn't come without issues either because some vegetables can cause gas and bloat,but Gas-x takes care of that unless I am eating eating totally stupidly. As Mom used to say, "life comes down to a series of trade offs". I think she was quite wise with that statement because it is very true. For instance I would be much better off financially if we had not had children, but then we would have missed out on our two boys who along with my wife worth living. For others the decision to not have children is a wonderful choice for them.

Anyway, I don't want to get in a long philosophical discussion.

Latest posts

Back