Brutal constipation. Please help!

Wow @DianaCox, you're always spot on! I just googled the possibility of a thrombosed internal hemorrhoid and it is more consistent with my symptoms than a fissure. Particularly given the pain is worse/different than other hemorrhoids I've experienced, I just assumed bleeding with pretty hardcore stinging pain which ends after a few hours = fissure, with polyp/tumor a secondary possibility. Very interesting thought.

@ BabyZed , Ha! :)

@Marquis Mark , Good luck to both of us. Hopefully these will be distant memories soon!

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I've been having a similar issue. Well, not constipation, but a searing pain issue going on for hours after BM. That said I've got bleeding so am assuming it's a fissure. I'm on OTC recticare alternating with some preparation H cooling gel and ice packs. All I can say is yikes and you are not alone. No fun, no fun at all.

(P.S. I know with the bleeding for a few weeks and history of polyps / tumors I should probably get a colonoscopy and will do so in due course unless this spontaneously resolves. I have an MRI scheduled in aary couple of weeks and want to wait until after that so I don't have the possibility of metal bits like hemostatic clips or staples moving about during the MRI.)

I really hope you feel better soon. If it's not one thing, it's another. Hope the MRI turns up nothing bad. Sheesh, Hilary, get well.

My poor kids now know more about my bowel habits than they ever thought they would. The youngest is quite grossed out. The oldest finds it fascinating... she's weird that way :D

The oldest finds it fascinating? Congratulations. That's a sign of intelligence. You may have a doctor on your hands...:geek:

I wish both you you (@Marquis Mark and @hilary1617) all the luck in the world! Nothing like bunghole pain to make life miserable... had issues with that when I was much younger and acted like pooping was optional o_O

Thanks you for empathizing. When you're sitting on the bowl it feels like a test of your will. And, for a moment, death doesn't seem so bad...

Wow @DianaCox, you're always spot on! I just googled the possibility of a thrombosed internal hemorrhoid and it is more consistent with my symptoms than a fissure. Particularly given the pain is worse/different than other hemorrhoids I've experienced, I just assumed bleeding with pretty hardcore stinging pain which ends after a few hours = fissure, with polyp/tumor a secondary possibility. Very interesting thought.

@ BabyZed , Ha! :)

@Marquis Mark , Good luck to both of us. Hopefully these will be distant memories soon!
with my fissure I didn't have a spot of blood, but it was a constant pain. I didn't have the severe and horrible episodes some had but it was always very irritated and sore.

BTW, Dr K told me that really the only way to diagnose these properly is a rectal exam under sedation as the pain is too severe to adequately look when not sedated. My colorectal dude did a digital and I stopped going to him because I wasn't going to allow him to do it again. It actually felt like my fissure was healing and then he would go in and feel, wouldn't even look, and it is like he ripped it open more....Dr K ended up carterizing mine when I had my revision. It worked great other than the huge plug of gauze type material he stuck up my keetster. He told me there was something up there that I would just poop out or maybe pull it out after day or two....LOL I thought it was small and then I pulled it out because it felt like it was inhibiting going......when I pulled it out, I thought holy hell I would have needed 50,0000 PSI to blow that bastard out ...it was huge!

anyway, get that thing taken care of please! you deserve to feel better

I wear my honorary third doctoral degree in Asshology proudly. I earned my stripes the hard way.
Hahahahahahaha! That is funny on a couple of different levels! :p

I should have a doctorate in that area as well. My wife actually said to me one time, "you're an asshole and all your friends know it too"! My retort, "any you point is......" :D

I have been experimenting with two or three ounces of olive oil per day. Yep, I am just drinking the nasty stuff. I am not sure yet if I will make this part of the daily routine or not. I am also experimenting with when to have it. So far, seems like after dinner is best. I will try to remember to let you know how it works. So far, it has softened my stool. I want to know if it works better than the Miralax I am currently taking.

I've been doing 4 tablespoons a day. Since we struggle to get enough fat, I have to think it's a good thing. And Italians seem to live forever!

Ick. Can't you pour it on food or mix it with something? Several years ago I used to mix 1T olive oil in with a protein drink and didn't even notice it was there.
If your going to do that you might as well just mix in heavy cream. Pure fat. And tastes better.

Last edited:
I have always put at least 2 tablespoons of heavy cream in my Syntrax Nectar 1.5 scoops(I love the Strawberry Kiwi) for breakfast every morning. I also make sure to slather my bread with butter and use a lot with my eggs. I try to keep my fat up to 100g/day, but do it mostly with cream and butter. I have never suffered from constipation. Not sure if it's just me, or my fat intake. I hope you find relief soon, Mark.

I have always put at least 2 tablespoons of heavy cream in my Syntrax Nectar 1.5 scoops(I love the Strawberry Kiwi) for breakfast every morning. I also make sure to slather my bread with butter and use a lot with my eggs. I try to keep my fat up to 100g/day, but do it mostly with cream and butter. I have never suffered from constipation. Not sure if it's just me, or my fat intake. I hope you find relief soon, Mark.

Thanks, Pam. This is my first negative experience with the DS and it has not been fun. Still hurts like hell and I'm trying my best to figure out the right balance ASAP. As of now, I'm not taking laxatives anymore as those seem to force me into BMs, which hurt like hell during and for many hours after. I'm taking benefiber, magnesium oxide, stool softeners and upping the fat, water and fiber. The big problem is just that my normal 2-part morning BM has become a 4-5 part BM and I never feel like I'm completely emptied, which leaves uncomfortable pressure down there. There's no bleeding so Kaiser pretty much ruled out Hemorrhoids, it's just "tramautized" and needs some time to heal. The less BMs until then, the better.

Thanks again for all of your support...

Latest posts

Back