Brain control of conversion of white fat to brown

DianaCox

Bad Cop
http://news.yale.edu/2014/10/09/hun...m_medium=email&utm_campaign=ynalumni-10-14-14
Hunger Games: How the brain 'browns' fat to aid weight loss
By Karen N. Peart
October 9, 2014

Researchers at Yale School of Medicine have uncovered a molecular process in the brain known to control eating that transforms white fat into brown fat. This process impacts how much energy we burn and how much weight we can lose. The results are published in the Oct. 9 issue of the journal Cell.

Obesity is a rising global epidemic. Excess fatty tissue is a major risk factor for type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, neurological disorders, and cancer. People become overweight and obese when energy intake exceeds energy expenditure, and excess calories are stored in the adipose tissues. The adipose organ is made up of both white and brown fat. While white fat primarily stores energy as triglycerides, brown fat dissipates chemical energy as heat. The more brown fat you have, the more weight you can lose.

It has previously been shown that energy-storing white fat has the capacity to transform into energy-burning “brown-like” fat. In this new study, researchers from the Yale Program in Integrative Cell Signaling and Neurobiology of Metabolism, demonstrate that neurons controlling hunger and appetite in the brain control the “browning” of white fat.

The publication can be found here (well, the abstract anyway - the whole article requires payment):
Cell. 2014 Oct 9;159(2):306-17. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2014.09.010.
O-GlcNAc Transferase Enables AgRP Neurons to Suppress Browning of White Fat.
Ruan HB1, Dietrich MO2, Liu ZW1, Zimmer MR3, Li MD4, Singh JP1, Zhang K4, Yin R1, Wu J1, Horvath TL5, Yang X6.
Author information

Abstract
Induction of beige cells causes the browning of white fat and improves energy metabolism. However, the central mechanism that controls adipose tissue browning and its physiological relevance are largely unknown. Here, we demonstrate that fasting and chemical-genetic activation of orexigenic AgRP neurons in the hypothalamus suppress the browning of white fat. O-linked β-N-acetylglucosamine (O-GlcNAc) modification of cytoplasmic and nuclear proteins regulates fundamental cellular processes. The levels of O-GlcNAc transferase (OGT) and O-GlcNAc modification are enriched in AgRP neurons and are elevated by fasting. Genetic ablation of OGT in AgRP neurons inhibits neuronal excitability through the voltage-dependent potassium channel, promotes white adipose tissue browning, and protects mice against diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance. These data reveal adipose tissue browning as a highly dynamic physiological process under central control, in which O-GlcNAc signaling in AgRP neurons is essential for suppressing thermogenesis to conserve energy in response to fasting.

Ever since I learned about the difference between brown and white fat in grad school, I have hypothesized that a mechanism that increased my brown fat (which "wastes" fat to produce heat, and thus is important to keep babies and hibernating animals alive) would result my being warm and thin, rather than fat and cold (white fat stores and vigorously hangs on to fat to protect us from starvation). If it is possible to convert white fat to brown, this would be fantastic! Of course, and unfortunately, any means of doing so is a very very long way off .... but this research is a start - by understanding the pathway, perhaps rational drug design might be able to develop a medication that replicates the normal process.

I'm actually excited to read this as someone who started fasting by age 12 to keep weight under control.

I'm certain it was a viscous cycle, as the more I fasted, the more efficient I got. I know I logged many calorie days (before I finally got my DS) down around 800 calories a day, after 30 years of this and other disordered eating. I then felt I had to fast most days not to lose, but just to maintain.

There are a lot of unanswered questions left. I know I was my own useless study of 1, but this is certainly something I want to follow, even if any help that comes of this, if ever, will be too late for me.

In this new study, researchers from the Yale Program in Integrative Cell Signaling and Neurobiology of Metabolism, demonstrate that neurons controlling hunger and appetite in the brain control the “browning” of white fat.

I wonder what effect the absence of Ghrelin will have on these neurons if we aren't feeling hunger. Or less hunger.

I'm actually excited to read this as someone who started fasting by age 12 to keep weight under control.

I'm certain it was a viscous cycle, as the more I fasted, the more efficient I got. I know I logged many calorie days (before I finally got my DS) down around 800 calories a day, after 30 years of this and other disordered eating. I then felt I had to fast most days not to lose, but just to maintain.

There are a lot of unanswered questions left. I know I was my own useless study of 1, but this is certainly something I want to follow, even if any help that comes of this, if ever, will be too late for me.

OMG...you sound just like me. I gained a lot of weight at the onset of puberty and starting hiding food in cups (between my legs) at the dinner table, (fasting/starving) at 14 so that I wouldn't be fat going in to high school. After high school and after the military, I gained 150 lbs the 1st yr and have been that way for 35 yrs. IF I go over 800-1000 calories a day..TOPS...I will gain weight. I trained my body at an early age to be a super absorber and cannot do anything to change it. So, I have asked EVERY Dr. and scientist I've meet for 30 yrs, to please explain to me where the energy comes from to sustain my 6' 350 lb body? If 3500 calories = approx. 1 lb, gained or loss, then at my size and given my intake, I should lose 3-4 lbs per week. Of course NO FLIPPIN Dr.'s believe me, especially endocrines, because it violates the basic laws of thermal dynamics. I have no reason to lie and it really has sucked ass living like this!!

I did a food log (along with my dh) for an entire month in Oct 2010 (prior to the DS for either of us).

My average was 1100 calories a day, only hit 1300 a day or two. At that rate and at my weight then, I should have easily lost 3-5 lbs. I GAINED 3 lbs that month. And most of what I ate was protein/fat cause I was watching carbs like a hawk even then cause of my insulin pump. My dh, OTOH lost 3 lbs that month...his average was 1200 with only a few days above 1300...as in about 1400-1500. He didn't watch carbs as closely.

The nut we saw was an independent cause I was between surgeons at that time, trying to get in with the one dh had actually do his DS. And his nut was in NYC, we were in TN. She stated that I was not eating enough calories and esp needed to up the amount of carbs.

I have been dieting since I was 12...taught myself to be a super absorber apparently. I DID get down to almost normal in my late 20's to get in the military...but it didn't last. It took the DS to get me back to "normal".

Latest posts

Back