1. Please review your surgery details found under your profile.
  2. We have many with MIA Avatars. If you are missing yours, please reload it. Use a browser you normally do not use to check. List is in Announcements: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/missing-avatars.5131/

Bowel Issues FYI

Discussion in 'Duodenal Switch' started by SHales, Jan 15, 2014.

Charris

Charris Well-Known Member

After the DS we generally don't need any help getting cleaned out. LOL

OrganicLife likes this.
    OrganicLife

OrganicLife Well-Known Member

Oh, I know. However, someone said that they are constipated. So the coconut water and ginger root tea was a suggestion.

Charris likes this.
    DSRIGGS

DSRIGGS Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon

Actually lots of people with the DS fight constipation primarily because iron and calcium can be very constipating. Drinking a great deal of fluid is required as well as a good balance of fat.

I don't get constipation in the fact that I can't go, but this redundant colon for which I was recently diagnosed leaves with a lot of crap in my colon. I feel like I am constipated even though I go several times a day and a large volume. Stuff gets caught in the xtra folds and kinks so I will have several days of large and softly formed movements, and then every 5 to 7 days I haver liquid and diarrhea like stools. Those clean out days as I call them are a blessing and a curse. I feel better with stomach discomfort when it is loose and I get fir the most part cleaned out, but it makes me incredibly run down and weak. At 178-180 on some days, when clean out day happens I can lose up to 10 pounds in 8 hours.

Spiky Bugger

Spiky Bugger Well-Known Member

FWIW...there are apparently two medical definitions of diarrhea.

REASONABLE doctors go with the consistency-urgency type definition and the lazy ones are SURE that if you have three or more BMs per day, you have diarrhea, a condition which needs treatment.

Many DS people have three or more BMs per day. It is their new normal and not a diseased state in need of treatment. I found the cutest little Italian gastroenterologist...but he was a lazy definition guy. So he was...dismissed.

Jbandmmomma likes this.
    DSRIGGS

DSRIGGS Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon

Sargent Sue - don't ever change, please. You slay me!

Yeah I am a 2-5/6 per day dude aND rarely is it diarrhea. Yes on clean out days I get some but most the time it is not loose.

I never had to fire a short Italian dude.
    How did he take it?

Spiky Bugger likes this.
    Spiky Bugger

Spiky Bugger Well-Known Member

He "tolerated" my comments, because I'm old. But also because I'm old, he probably that I was senile.

Charris likes this.