Big Sleeve DS

What I hope will be the final answer to this issue:

1) Sleeve size doesn't matter that much with the DS, UNLESS it's too small or has a stricture - then it's misery. THEY ALL STRETCH OUT EVENTUALLY.

2) It's not the size of the sleeve that determines whether you are hungry or not - and I cannot understand why, after all this time, and having been sleeved already for several years, you don't know that. The size of the sleeve determines HOW MUCH you can eat at one time, not whether you get hunger pangs. Once you put SOME food in your stomach, no matter what the size, actual and real hunger pangs go away.

3) Your perceived "hunger" is head hunger, acid stomach, or dehydration - or you are one of those who, when nauseated, feels the need to "put something on your stomach."

4) When you are healed, you will learn that DSers get EXTREMELY hungry, frequently. It doesn't take much to stave it off, but the ghrelin-fueled hunger is not that kind of hunger anyway - it is the gnawing uneasy feeling that you want to eat, even if you aren't sure what you want to eat, and you aren't ACTUALLY hungry, but that it is the only thing you can think about UNLESS you're thinking about something else kind of hunger. It is a biological URGE, and not an actual feeling of hunger.

Deal with it. Move on. Quit obsessing about something that is neither important or even relevant. And stop looking for someone to blame for what is primarily a problem in your own head.

What I hope will be the final answer to this issue:

1) Sleeve size doesn't matter that much with the DS, UNLESS it's too small or has a stricture - then it's misery. THEY ALL STRETCH OUT EVENTUALLY.

2) It's not the size of the sleeve that determines whether you are hungry or not - and I cannot understand why, after all this time, and having been sleeved already for several years, you don't know that. The size of the sleeve determines HOW MUCH you can eat at one time, not whether you get hunger pangs. Once you put SOME food in your stomach, no matter what the size, actual and real hunger pangs go away.

3) Your perceived "hunger" is head hunger, acid stomach, or dehydration - or you are one of those who, when nauseated, feels the need to "put something on your stomach."

4) When you are healed, you will learn that DSers get EXTREMELY hungry, frequently. It doesn't take much to stave it off, but the ghrelin-fueled hunger is not that kind of hunger anyway - it is the gnawing uneasy feeling that you want to eat, even if you aren't sure what you want to eat, and you aren't ACTUALLY hungry, but that it is the only thing you can think about UNLESS you're thinking about something else kind of hunger. It is a biological URGE, and not an actual feeling of hunger.

Deal with it. Move on. Quit obsessing about something that is neither important or even relevant. And stop looking for someone to blame for what is primarily a problem in your own head.

Thanks for the education. Glad I am still on your radar! {:>}

>>>>Here - worry about this instead: http://cdlinjurylaw.com/soldiers_vets_dying_after_taki/
"Soldiers, Vets Dying After Taking Seroquel/Paxi*/Klonopin Drug Cocktail"<<<<<

Yeah, have read this before, there are several referrals to substance abuse, additional sleeping pills, etc. in the study. It seems this got picked up through the Military Press. If you find anything recent, please share it. I would like to know! Lithium almost killed me, literally. My aunt died in a Charleston Naval hospital while trying to change medications many years ago. It's all a risk...

Yes, I gained 140 lbs on Remeron after my dad died, in a very short time. Lithium (no longer taking) and Seroquel also impact metabolism. I was thankful that I was able to lose after the Sleeve. I hope I can continue the Seroquel, which seems to be absorbing OK, and still lose. I try not to focus on weight, but there are so many variables, that it is hard to just eat less and exercise more and trust that. I am trying to be patient for this first month.

Last edited:
Surgeon agreed to resumption of Victoza, which slows the emptying of the Sleeve, and the hunger, which I experienced as the liquid just slid through, is gone.I can only "eat" half the soup or pudding I was able to before at one sitting. Much relieved...

I woke up from my sleeve in 2010 STARVING!!! seriously. Not head hunger, but must eat NOW hunger. That hasn't stopped. I was not re-sleeved either. I could probably out eat you any time lol, but ya know what? Im working with what I've got :) As I type this, I am STARVING lol, but I try to put eating off for a while and try to make peace with the hunger...it is almost time to eat though YAY!

You will get through this. Learn your body, learn than not all DSers are equal and do what YOU have to do for you to be a success :)

I woke up from my sleeve in 2010 STARVING!!! seriously. Not head hunger, but must eat NOW hunger. That hasn't stopped. I was not re-sleeved either. I could probably out eat you any time lol, but ya know what? Im working with what I've got :) As I type this, I am STARVING lol, but I try to put eating off for a while and try to make peace with the hunger...it is almost time to eat though YAY!

You will get through this. Learn your body, learn than not all DSers are equal and do what YOU have to do for you to be a success :)

Damn. :( That was one thing I was looking forward to most... eating very little and being satiated and not starving all the time. That's why diets always failed for me... I'm no good at dealing with starvation-level hunger. :( I actually very rarely let myself get to the "hunger pang" stage because (weirdly) hunger pangs make me seriously, seriously almost-throwing-up nauseated, and the only thing that stops the nausea is eating. It's been like that for me my entire life. Probably one of the main reasons I got this fat - because I don't ever want to let myself be that hungry. Every doctor I've ever told about the nausea has looked at me like I'm a wackjob. Heh. I probably am. :)

Damn. :( That was one thing I was looking forward to most... eating very little and being satiated and not starving all the time. That's why diets always failed for me... I'm no good at dealing with starvation-level hunger. :( I actually very rarely let myself get to the "hunger pang" stage because (weirdly) hunger pangs make me seriously, seriously almost-throwing-up nauseated, and the only thing that stops the nausea is eating. It's been like that for me my entire life. Probably one of the main reasons I got this fat - because I don't ever want to let myself be that hungry. Every doctor I've ever told about the nausea has looked at me like I'm a wackjob. Heh. I probably am. :)
I got that, too. It went away and has never come back. But I DO get hungry. It's a totally different experience now, though.

I think MANY of us had similar experiences pre-op. Being hungry for me was such an unpleasant experience that I did what I could to never be actually hungry.

But also, even when I was technically "full" or had eaten not long before, the feeling of satiety was essentially NEVER there - I always had the uncomfortable, uneasy feeling that I just needed to eat "a little something more" to feel "done" eating - somewhat similar to the unfulfilled feeling you get when you take a shit but you aren't "done." It is unpleasant, unsettling, and gnaws at you that something else needs to happen to be "done."

That misery is mostly over for me (the hungry part, not the incomplete poop part :))

Hi @more2adore,

I didn't mean to freak you out lol. My post was a nice nudge to the OP to "qwit yer beeeetchin" lol.

So pre-sleeve, I too had nauseating-cannot-think-of-anything-else-must eat NOW hunger. And when I did eat, it took A LOT to make me feel not hungry. I was never ever full. Add to that I was put on a big dose of Rispiridone (known to increase hunger and carb cravings) and BOOM!

Post sleeve, I still felt hungry but it wasn't as panicky and I was satisfied quite quickly. Your mind will be blown when you are full on ½ a pot of yogurt lol. I was "sick" a lot after sleeve. I use quote because it wasn't proper sick...it was just chewed food that wouldn't fit in as I didn't know when to stop. Having never felt the feeling of being full before, I didn't know when to stop....so I had a lot of "oops, one bite too many" issues in the beginning. Now, I eat slower and I get the hiccups if Im closing in on too full, but for the most part I know what being full feels like now. It's pretty amazing! :)

When I say I'm STARVING now....I'm being a bit dramatic lol....it is nothing...NOTHING like preop hunger. It is manageable. It's not awesome by any means lol but it is manageable. I was so disappointed as everyone went on and on about not being hungry post op. Well, I'm here to tell you that some of us do feel hunger....immediately. Oh well, such is life!

There are two things that worked to my disadvantage. 1) My sleeve was made bigger as a DS sleeve, but 2) my DS was not completed in the normal 12-18 months post VSG. Thus by the time I got my DS my sleeve was 3.5 years old and could/can hold a fair bit. Still not prep levels though! I can eat a normal meal, but I still can only eat ¼ what I did preop. It's all about perspective.

I have not written off a re-sleeve, but that I will have to save for....for a long time lol. There are also a crapload of risks being re-sleeved...so Im trying with all my might to get as far as I can before I go that route.

Diets always failed for me too. My VSG let me get my head around healthy eating without feeling nauseously hungry and now the DS is teaching me to eat the right things to keep my body healthy.

I'm not your typical WLS patient, but I refuse to give up anyhow, anyway! :D

ETA: Im on amitryptaline and have had no weight gain from it....but upon going on it my GP allowed me to have a 1 month trial with the agreement that if I gained even 5lbs I could come off of it. Rispiridone was WAY WAY worse for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back