BETTER LATE THAN NEVER: 15 years postop, finally reached normal BMI

2000DuodenalSwitch

I had my DS almost 15 years ago, October 11 2000, just a few months from age 50. Dr Dennis Smith performed my DS in Marietta GA.

Things were much different 15 years ago. We were just told "protein first" but I obviously needed more info than that. I never quite got to my goal postop. My postop loss stopped when I hit 218 lbs which was a size 16/18 for me. Over the years, I gained 20 pounds back which put me at 238.

Several years ago, I eliminated gluten so as to address my gas/diarrhea and noticed as a surprise side effect that my scales were slowly moving downward. I lost my 20 lb regain plus 18 more over the next few years.

In November 2014, I discovered Facebook DS groups. I learned so much about desired food macros and supplementation. I met Elizabeth T Ramsey in the groups who was instrumental in my success.

In January 2015, I downloaded MyFitnessPal and started tracking my macros with my targets at 100g protein, 50 carbs, 100 fat. And started walking. I adjusted my supplementation to improve my labs (bodies lose better when labs are great). I've lost nearly 40 lbs more since January and finally hit normal BMI. (Holy moly, I just did the math, that's a total of close to 80 more lbs lost since I cut the gluten...many years after my loss stopped postop). I'm nearly 65.

Susan.jpg

(Liz note: The middle one was taken just this last month)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations--you look younger now than you did in the preDS photos. Keep up the good work!

That is a great story that demonstrates the need for better patient education regarding our real nutritional and supplement needs. Good for you to reaching out and figuring this out on your own, but shame on the industry that you didn't know that before you came upon it yourself.

This illustrates the need for the industry to better educate patients...it is extremely lacking now.

BTW, congratulations and you do look awesomely happy. I had my DS two years ago and turn 50 this year. I hope to look as good as you in 15.5 years.

Latest posts

Back