Beef Heart, EN Style

Jo777

Aug 2017
Making beef heart in the handy crock pot for tomorrows dinner.. cleaned the thing, cut out all the tough bits and fed 2 of our three cats a nice share of raw beef heart trimmings.. the other one didn't have any interest.

I also took a few scraps for myself and quick seared it and nibbled on it- just to see what it tasted like as the recipes I had went either towards the high & fast & rare, or the cook the snot out of it till it's tender. I didn't mind the taste or texture, but overall, I think I'll prefer it stewed with plenty of onions & garlic.

We bought a 1/4 beef.. and I asked for as much of the organ meats as I could get.. so I have a few more bits which any suggestions on how to prepare (recipe wise) would be appreciated, lest I go to the all-knowing google like I normally do, and riff off what I find there..

I have: tongue, brain, multiple packs of liver (made some before- from another persons share. I like liver in small doses, so always looking for new ways to make it) and I also have a pack of oxtail from elsewhere.. and some bones..

I am very curious about cooking the brain, figured I'd ease into it with the heart first though.

Reminds me of a book I had many years ago which I believe was called "Confessions of a Sneaky Organic Cook". She sneaked ground organ meats into her ground chuck and said that the neighborhood kids thought she made the best hamburgers. There was also a story where she was cooking a brain in a stock pot (making stock I guess) and her teenager came into the kitchen, lifted up the pot lid and asked, "Who are we having for dinner tonight?"

My mom snuck calves brain and scrambled eggs on me when I was a kid....Pardon my language, but it tasted like ass....Sorry I can't help you!

The heart wasn't bad at all, though I think I'd prefer it seared and sliced very, very thin.
I have yet to venture onto the other parts, but I will share when I do, maybe even with pics :)

I do like liver, and make bone broth with carcasses.. and feet. I have a 10lb sack of turkey feet in the deep freeze waiting on my next soup making adventure.

You could make brain sandwiches. They are a big deal here. Usually make with pig brains now due an outbreak of mad cow disease a few years ago. I have never had one but they sure look good.

There's a place fairly nearish to me that does brain sammies and burgoo with squirrel.. I think it's actually gotten some mention on various food show/books/articles. I'm not a timid eater.. I may not like all the funky bits, but I'm game to try just about anything. Squirrel is not bad at all, though I prefer game birds/rabbits over them. Actually from what I read about fried calves brains, they are supposed to be really good..

I am not much on the organs but can pretty much eat any other part of any animal. I grew up in the country so everybody, guys and girls, hunted. I'm good at skinnin' them too. The best summer sausage I have ever had was made with deer meat.

Latest posts

Back