Bariactric Facts: Upgraded!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MsJacquiiC, Jan 23, 2018.

MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC Tech Admin | Designer Staff Member

Some of you may have noticed we had about 45 minutes of downtime earlier this afternoon. We've been working behind the scenes on a forum upgrade and are happy to announce that the upgrade has been a successful and smooth one. If you see any *quirks* in the updated software or any design flaws - please post your concerns in this thread and we will address them as time permits.

With this upgrade comes not only a myriad of back-end features that help site Administrators & Moderators better maintain the community, but functionality which will be noticed on the front-end for most all registered members. There has been an overall improvement of the design as well. A few of the more notable additions are listed below.

Much Better Mobile Navigation:
    The design has been streamlined to make it not only a cleaner experience on desktop - but also a truly cleaner mobile experience for those of you browsing on phone or tablet. You should notice the new off-canvas menu for easy access to all forum features, making for a cleaner navigation experience...
    bf-org_mobile.gif

Thread Tagging:
    Tags are a common method of adding keywords to content to aid in searching and content discovery, which will allow for a more cohesive database to aid us in our WLS endeavors. Thread tags apply to the thread itself (rather than individual posts), so they are displayed at the top of the thread view, independent of any post. Clicking any tag will take you to a page displaying all content that has that tag attached to it...
    tagging.png

Enhanced Media Embedding:
    We've added access to embed media from a slew of social media sites, including -- but not limited to -- ABC News, Amazon Product, audioBoom, Dailymotion, Democracy Now!, & GoFundMe to name only a few... Very intuitive as you can see below in...
    bbcode.gif

BBCode in Profile Posts:
    The past version of our forum software limited posts in profile pages to text-only. As a means of offering a more interactive experience, we've now made it possible to post BBCode in your profile posts -- Plus it just makes the pages & posts look a bit more interesting.

Simply use the text editor to post, as you would in any other posts. Smilies are back in town and can now be used instead of their...
    profile-bbcode.gif

There are a lot of other little goodies to be found. And we're thinking of adding a Post Ratings system that will allow a greater fluidity in rating posts, as opposed to a simple thumbs up icon. Let us know if you're interested.

And again - If you find any functionality or design issues with the upgrade - Please post them here and we will get them fixed.

Thanks for your patience and enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

Updated To Add New Functionality Upgrades.
    January 26, 2018 | 6:59AM

Completing the upgrade, we have added a couple of nice functionality enhancements which will make navigating the forum and posting new content a simple & intuitive process. I'll also edit the original post to reflect the updates.

QuickNav Added to the Navigation Menu:
    You'll notice the Quick Navigation menu is now shown on the main navigation menu and all site pages. It allows you to quickly and easily navigate the entire forum at a couple clicks of your mouse. The sitemap icon sits to the left of the main navigation menu's "Home" link:
    2018-01-26_7-03-11.png

Simply click it to show the entire forum list as well as important links like new posts, watched threads, the notable members list and more. Navigating the forum is now made...
    bf_quicknav.gif

Post New Thread from Any Forum Page:
    You now have the ability to post a new thread from all forum pages. Located in the upper right-hand corner of the User Control Panel -- next to the alerts and bookmarks -- is the new "Post New Thread" button:
    2018-01-26_7-05-11.png

It will appear on all pages, and once clicked - it will open a list of all available forums that you have permission to post in. Simply click on the forum title...
    bf_newthread.gif

Quoting Posts Simplified:
    The upgraded forum script allows for easy quoting of other members posts, either in their entirety or portions of posts. This enhanced functionality allows multiple messages across multiple pages to be selected and quoted in a single reply. It also allows members to quote snippets of messages by using their browser's text-selection tools. The example screen-capped below shows the quoting of snippets which is part of the newly enhanced...
    bf_multiquote.gif

That's it for now.
    Again, if you encounter any issues - please let us know so that we may address them with a fix. If you have any ideas on bettering the forum - we're happy to entertain all suggestions. Thanks for your attention and enjoy!

J.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    hilary1617 and JackieOnLine like this.
    MsJacquiiC

Updated To Add New Functionality Additions.
    January 29, 2018 | 11:22 PM

A few more extra functionality added. All quite intuitively designed and pretty much self-explanatory.

Enhanced UserCP Format:
    Easy access to Likes Received & Likes Given and more...
    2018-01-29_0-42-41.png

Create A Thread On Main Forum Index:
    Quick access to posting a thread directly from the main forum index page...
    2018-01-29_0-43-25.png

Live Update Display In Browser:
    For those of you who use tabbed browsing - this will be a welcome addition. Live Update polls the BF server more often to get current alerts and inbox conversations quicker. It shows an alert indicator in the browser favicon and/or your browser's tab title. It can be disabled as well and controlled by simply editing the "Live Update Display Options" portion of your Account Preferences...
    2018-01-29_1-20-35.png

Easily Mark Threads as Read:
    A 'Mark as Read' link will appear when hovering a thread -- in the same manner as the page navigation links -- on the forum list, watched threads, most recent posts, etc... pages. Simply clicking the link will mark the thread as read...
    2018-01-30_0-37-13.png

Conversation Enhancements:
    A collection of improvements have been added to the BF Conversation system. We've added conversation likes, which generate alerts and additions to your personal news feed. Also - there is now a robust functionality added to the search form. It allows for searching conversations...
    like.gif

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    k9ophile

k9ophile Well-Known Member

My own personal experience has left me with a dislike of rating posts. One forum I was on allowed something like 1 to 5 stars. When a feud was going on, one could boost one's own posts by rating it several times. If one did not know better, it looked like the poster had a lot of people liking the post when in reality, it was some loser boosting his own ego.

Just my opinion and if a system is implemented, I'll survive.

MsJacquiiC likes this.
    galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

I just wanted to thank the team for all the hard work and keeping the site up and improving it.

MsJacquiiC likes this.
    southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

I don’t like the post rating system either. Now a Thanks system might be useful.

k9ophile

k9ophile Well-Known Member

Ditto!

Munchkin

Munchkin Full of Fairy Dust

Thanks for your hard work!!!

MsJacquiiC likes this.
    JackieOnLine

JackieOnLine Moderator Staff Member

a big thank you to MsJacquiic and Liz; I'm still getting used to it but I appreciate the effort.

MsJacquiiC likes this.
    MsJacquiiC

Thanks you guys. And my apologies for the delayed reply. Been a bit busy the past couple days.

At anyrate - The design has been streamlined to make it not only a cleaner experience on desktop - but also a truly cleaner mobile experience for those of you browsing on phone or tablet. You should notice the new off-canvas menu for easy access to all forum features, making for a cleaner navigation experience. Example:

bf-org_mobile.gif

So ... I'm glad you guys like the upgrade result. There's been a lot of functionality enhancements which should make the overall browsing experience quite a bit better than before the upgrade.

As for post ratings...
    jpic-post-ratings.gif

There are unlimited options and the ability to create only positive post ratings.

Addressing the concern of members boosting their own post ratings ==> The particular system I use offers the option of members only being able to rate others members posts and not their own; Meaning there's no way for members to take advantage of the system. Any 'lop-sided' post ratings are obvious and the system offers the ability for Administrators and Moderators to undo ratings if the system is ever misused.

My experience with post ratings is that it boosts members' participation and offers a more interactive type of experience. It also can be a bit of friendly 'competitive' incentive/inspiration for members to appear a'top the Post Ratings leaderboard...
    2018-01-25_23-02-45.png

So when configured correctly - it could be used as a sort of "Thanks" system southernladysouthernlady.
    At anyrate - I appreciate the feedback. Have you guys found any quirks while browsing? If yes - Let me know please - so I can get them taken care of. Otherwise - The forum looks GREAT and has some enhanced functionality. Enjoy! :woohooo:

J.

JackieOnLine likes this.
    MsJacquiiC

Completing the upgrade, we have added a couple of nice functionality enhancements which will make navigating the forum and posting new content a simple & intuitive process. I'll also edit the original post to reflect the updates.

QuickNav Added to the Navigation Menu:
    You'll notice the Quick Navigation menu is now shown on the main navigation menu and all site pages. It allows you to quickly and easily navigate the entire forum at a couple clicks of your mouse. The sitemap icon sits to the left of the main navigation menu's "Home" link:
    [​IMG]

Simply click it to show the entire forum list as well as important links like new posts, watched threads, the notable members list and more. Navigating the forum is now made...
    [​IMG]

Post New Thread from Any Forum Page:

You now have the ability to post a new thread from all forum pages. Located in the upper right-hand corner of the User Control Panel -- next to the alerts and bookmarks -- is the new "Post New Thread" button:
    [​IMG]

It will appear on all pages, and once clicked - it will open a list of all available forums that you have permission to post in. Simply click on the forum title...
    [​IMG]

Quoting Posts Simplified:
    The upgraded forum script allows for easy quoting of other members posts, either in their entirety or portions of posts. This enhanced functionality allows multiple messages across multiple pages to be selected and quoted in a single reply. It also allows members to quote snippets of messages by using their browser's text-selection tools. The example screen-capped below shows the quoting of snippets which is part of the newly enhanced...
    [​IMG]

That's it for now.

Again, if you encounter any issues - please let us know so that we may address them with a fix. If you have any ideas on bettering the forum - we're happy to entertain all suggestions. Thanks for your attention and enjoy!

J.

hilary1617 likes this.
    southernlady

Mine is still wonky...I've rebooted, cleared everything I can think of and short of a new install of Windows 10 and wiping clean and reinstalling my iOS on my mobile devices, mine seems to be stuck on the old one (and funky looking on top of that).

MY last option before saying the hell with it and let it fix itself for me is to uninstall Firefox completely (just saving my bookmarks), reboot, and then reinstalling a fresh copy of Firefox. I still can't explain Opera and Vivaldi browsers since those were completely new installs after the upgrade.

IS it conceivable that it is stuck in my profile? I see the new ones before I sign in but once signed in, it goes back to the old copy. If so, not sure where I would fix that. I tried signing out and then signing back in...nothing changed.

MsJacquiiC

southernladysouthernlady - I think you've just answered your own question. And I hadn't even considered or even thought about it until you mentioned it. But the new theme is shown to all users, with the older themes deactivated. YOU as the owner and of the Administrators usergroup have access to see the older themes. And it IS likely a setting in your preferences. Go to http://bariatricfacts.org/account/preferences and select the 2017 theme:
    2018-01-26_9-09-44.png

Also - in the footer section you can select the Bariatric Facts 2017 theme.
    My apologies for not even having considered that. Such an easy fix and nothing to do with the browser cache.
    ARG... But yes! Just change the option and you'll see the new theme.

J.

southernlady

YES! That was it.

MsJacquiiC likes this.
    MsJacquiiC

Sweet! It was just an issue of Admin permissions LOL
    Such an easy fix and I hadn't even considered it until reading your post. ARG...
    I hope you like the enhancements anyway :geek:

J.

hilary1617

hilary1617 First time at the rodeo.

Thank you for making this such a wonderful and helpful forum. :)

MsJacquiiC and southernlady like this.