article on vitamin/mineral patches

Discussion in 'Vitamins & Labs' started by Larra, Apr 27, 2018.

Larra

Larra Well-Known Member

JackieOnLine likes this.
    Munchkin

Munchkin Full of Fairy Dust

• "The risk of nutrient deficiencies increases as you progress from surgery."
    Don't think I agree with this one. I know for absolute sure I absorb more now than I did 10 or 15 years ago!

JackieOnLine likes this.
    Larra

Larra Well-Known Member

Good point. My take on this is that some people start out great with their supplements and fall off over the years. No matter what bariatric operation anyone has, each of has to accept the personal responsibility for this lifetime commitment.

JackieOnLine likes this.
    Remingtonh

Remingtonh Well-Known Member

Munchkin

Whole groups of us on FB tried these patches because they are easy. But they did not work for us. Yes, I know transdermal delivery SOUNDS great for us, no malabsorbtion. But it didn't work at all. And no one had GOOD results.

southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

There was a patch DS group about two years back. They willing tested themselves...disbanded about a year ago for absolutely sucky results.

Remingtonh

Do most DSers take 50,000iu (or more) of D3 a day, or a week?

That's disappointing to hear about the patches...

southernlady

Yes. Each and every DAY. As always, you go by your own labs but D seems to be hard to get into high normal range of 30-100.

You also watch your PTH (no pill for it but it’s an important lab test, esp after a malabsorptive surgery that can easily lead to destruction of your bones).

I take 50,000 dry D3 M-F and 100,000 dry D3 on S & S. My hubby just had to go from a similar schedule as mine to 100,000 each day.

Remingtonh likes this.
    Munchkin

Believe me, I WANTED them to work. And I take 50K per day D.

hilary1617

hilary1617 First time at the rodeo.

I take 50k per day of D3 (cholecalciferol).

For those new to malabsorption, it is important to remember to take the dry (water miscible) forms of usually fat soluble vitamins A,D,E, and K (as needed based on labs). We cannot absorb enough from oil capsules. I've never needed to supplement E.

Remingtonh likes this.
    chevtow

chevtow Well-Known Member

I take 100k D3 and 125k A daily !

Remingtonh

Had my pre-op labs done a few weeks ago. Vitamin D was 26. I mentioned to my surgeon that many DSers take 50K or more per day. He said he would recommend I start at 5K/day after surgery. Does that seem appropriate?

chevtow

chevtow Well-Known Member

No. You need at least 50k with a D level that low. I take 100k daily. 5k will likely be totally insufficient. Don’t rely on doctors or nutritionists for vitamin info, they are typically clueless

JackieOnLine and Remingtonh like this.
    southernlady

Nope, not enough. ESP since the lab range is 30-100. You want it as close to 100 as possible.

Larra

Larra Well-Known Member

Not even close, and no wonder your surgeon's DS patients do poorly, if they are so foolish as to take his "advice". Your level is low now, with normal absorption of D. It's only going to drop to dangerous levels if you don't supplement aggressively when you don't absorb normally. I tried ADEK's at first (big mistake, not enough of anything to do the job), then went to 50,000/day of D, did better but still barely within normal limits, and now do 100,000 daily every single day just to stay mid-range. You may need a little more, or a little less, but for sure what he's recommending is going to get you into trouble.

JackieOnLine and RainCity like this.