Anyone Heard of This? pur-Absorb Iron

My gut-level reaction is that is just another "homeopathic" (which, to me means "unscientific") crock of big boy cow poo poo...aka bullshit.

The whole "we get this special water out of the ground and do nothing to it, but trust us, this will be GREAT" approach just sets off my Hinkey Meters.

What little info they give you says that even their miracle product has only a 40% absorption rate. And OF COURSE it is more gentle on your stomach,...it's a packet of WATER. I don't think that TAKING IT will hurt much more than wallets, but if you think you need iron, take real iron.

Since you asked.

Okay, here...

Missouri Bariatric Services
October 11, 2011 ·
Have you seen the commercials for Spatone's Pur Absorb iron and wondering what's the scoop? Here's our dietitian's review:

Spatone Pure Absorb is a mineral water from a spring in Wales, UK. The type of iron that is actually in the water is ferrous sulfate. The companies claim is that it is absorbed better than traditional tablet ferrous sulfate and that it has fewer side effects. Note that at the bottom of their health care professionals page they have a notation of "Spatone is not being suggested as a blanket replacement for other Ferrous Sulphate preparations."

So is it absorbed better? If you base it on their research claiming that 40% of the supplement is absorbed, then yes. Do you get more iron from the Spatone than from other over-the-counter iron supplements? No. Here's the breakdown. The human body (not accounting of any type of weight loss surgery) needs to absorb 1 to 1.5 mg of iron each day (fnic.nal.usda.gov). Traditional iron supplements, such as ferrous fumarate and ferrous sulfate, are typically taken in a dose of approximately 60 mg per day when anemic because only about 3% of the iron is absorbed, which comes out to about 2 mg. Absorption improves if the iron is taken with a source of vitamin C or if you are anemic. Spatone claims that 40% of it's iron is absorbed. 1 packet of Spatone Pur Absorb iron has 5 mg of total iron, but only about 2 mg are absorbed. BOTTOM LINE: you aren't getting any more iron from the Spatone than you would a traditional tablet.

At baseline nutritional status, band patients are recommended to take approximately 18 mg of iron daily, with about 0.5 mg being absorbed, while gastric bypass and sleeve patients need approximately 36 mg of iron daily, with about 1 mg being absorb. Needs increase if you have a history of poor iron levels. If you are anemic or been instructed to take extra iron, you would need to take 1 packet of Spatone Pur Absorb iron for every 60 mg of traditional iron you have been recommended. At $19.99 for 28 packets, this could get pretty pricey compared to traditional supplements which can run about $7.50 for 100 tablets (cvs.com). I would recommend the iron that you can be most compliant with if you are trying to overcome an iron deficiency anemia.

Okay, here...

Missouri Bariatric Services
October 11, 2011 ·
Have you seen the commercials for Spatone's Pur Absorb iron and wondering what's the scoop? Here's our dietitian's review:

Spatone Pure Absorb is a mineral water from a spring in Wales, UK. The type of iron that is actually in the water is ferrous sulfate. The companies claim is that it is absorbed better than traditional tablet ferrous sulfate and that it has fewer side effects. Note that at the bottom of their health care professionals page they have a notation of "Spatone is not being suggested as a blanket replacement for other Ferrous Sulphate preparations."

So is it absorbed better? If you base it on their research claiming that 40% of the supplement is absorbed, then yes. Do you get more iron from the Spatone than from other over-the-counter iron supplements? No. Here's the breakdown. The human body (not accounting of any type of weight loss surgery) needs to absorb 1 to 1.5 mg of iron each day (fnic.nal.usda.gov). Traditional iron supplements, such as ferrous fumarate and ferrous sulfate, are typically taken in a dose of approximately 60 mg per day when anemic because only about 3% of the iron is absorbed, which comes out to about 2 mg. Absorption improves if the iron is taken with a source of vitamin C or if you are anemic. Spatone claims that 40% of it's iron is absorbed. 1 packet of Spatone Pur Absorb iron has 5 mg of total iron, but only about 2 mg are absorbed. BOTTOM LINE: you aren't getting any more iron from the Spatone than you would a traditional tablet.

At baseline nutritional status, band patients are recommended to take approximately 18 mg of iron daily, with about 0.5 mg being absorbed, while gastric bypass and sleeve patients need approximately 36 mg of iron daily, with about 1 mg being absorb. Needs increase if you have a history of poor iron levels. If you are anemic or been instructed to take extra iron, you would need to take 1 packet of Spatone Pur Absorb iron for every 60 mg of traditional iron you have been recommended. At $19.99 for 28 packets, this could get pretty pricey compared to traditional supplements which can run about $7.50 for 100 tablets (cvs.com). I would recommend the iron that you can be most compliant with if you are trying to overcome an iron deficiency anemia.

Dagumn Spiky, How'd you find all that? I looked all over and couldnt find shit! Youz the "Cruz Queen"!!! :DYeah, gues most of its bunk, but, it only cost me 10 bucks and will do me a couple weeks until I can get the real thing, not in a huge hurry, still healing and just wanted a little insurance.

Yup...my hematologist says that it makes no difference what KIND OF iron I swallow...it could be a 1954 Studebaker President, for all he cares...my gut will not absorb it.

That is F&*^ing funny as shit!! If your gut could absorb a 1954 Studebaker, (or even a 52), I'd be really worried!

That is F&*^ing funny as shit!! If your gut could absorb a 1954 Studebaker, (or even a 52), I'd be really worried!

We had them all..Champion, Commander...right up to the Lark! And then Mercedes and even the Avanti, both of which Studebaker distributed in the U.S. My father was an Exec and we had "company cars"...a new one every year. (My father was their last West-of-the-Mississippi employee when they went under. :( If you ever see a Studebaker moving in the background of a Mr. Ed show, guess whose father was behind the wheel.)

Latest posts

Back