Anyone had an issue with MSG?

harrietvane

I am feeling pretty great on the food front. I know that I still can't stand eggs and dairy can be hit or miss. I am wondering, though, if anyone has had any reaction to MSG?

I feel fine post-meal except (usually lunch) when I eat out at, because of where I live, mostly Asian eateries. I'm wondering if MSG is the common thread of my post-lunch 'blah'?

I have never noticed anything with MSG but many Asian places in the states are MSG free anymore. When you say blah, is that as in just tired feeling sluggish after eating or is it making you nauseous and bloated? Nausea and feeling like I could throw up is my reaction to a food that doesn't agree with me.

BTW, on the eggs. You will eventually be able to eat them again. Egg was the first real food I tried after surgery and the bite or two I took of the scrambled egg did not stay down. I was miserable and didn't try again for a long while. Several months later I started eating very lightly poached eggs (very runny yolks) or sunny side up eggs because a scrambled egg or omelet felt like a 400 pound brick. About six months after that I could eat scrambled/omelets. Today I have four eggs with cheese and meat scrambled in, every morning (note I add the meat and shredded cheese the same time as the eggs and I cook them very lightly making them creamy - A good easy 50 grams of protein). About every 5-7 days I will have sunny side up instead of scrambled. Eggs are a huge part of my diet because they taste so good and are pure protein

I have had an intolerance to eggs for a few years now, so I'm not too hopeful about introducing them anytime soon. I used to do hardcore Paleo eating and 'overdosed' on them, woke up one day and was unable to eat them without nausea. I tried them again post surgery and even the smell and one bite was enough for my body to give a strong 'no thanks' to the idea.

Reaction at lunch is sluggish/sleepy feeling as well as feeling like my stomach is churning/nausea. I don't get the reaction with food I cook for myself.

I have had an intolerance to eggs for a few years now, so I'm not too hopeful about introducing them anytime soon. I used to do hardcore Paleo eating and 'overdosed' on them, woke up one day and was unable to eat them without nausea. I tried them again post surgery and even the smell and one bite was enough for my body to give a strong 'no thanks' to the idea.
Did you get your gallbladder removed as part of your DS?

Reason I ask: as a baby, I was allergic to eggs...out grew it, then when I was 14, the allergy returned. Eating an egg made me painfully nauseous...for about 24 hours until I threw up (and pooped numerous times). So I stayed away from them for decades, thinking I was allergic...even the smell of cooking eggs was enough to turn my stomach...and yet, I did cook them occasionally for my husband.

Then I tried Egg Beaters and was okay so I figured it was the egg yolk...which is an uncommon allergy but possible.

In 2011 along came my DS, (and because my surgeon doesn't automatically remove the gall bladder) ended up having the gall bladder removed 6 months later.

I still avoided eggs.

I'm not sure why I was doing some Dr. Googling one day on the signs of gall bladder issues and found a link between the fat in eggs and the gall bladder. Well, most of the fat in eggs is in the yolk. SSSSSoooooo, I decided to try one more time...Got some eggs and then picked a time when I wasn't planning on going anywhere and could afford to be miserable for 24 hours. Turns out, my allergy was my gall bladder going bad for DECADES. Not bad enough to give me issues until my DS but still going.

Been eating eggs all the time now, scrambled (altho after decades of egg beaters, that is not my favorite way), over medium, hard boiled, and deviled...not a single issue.

Nope, still have my gall bladder! This weekend I have a three-day weekend, so I plan to experiment on yolks v whites, and see which (or both) make me ill.

Nope, still have my gall bladder! This weekend I have a three-day weekend, so I plan to experiment on yolks v whites, and see which (or both) make me ill.
IF it is the egg yolk, it might be gall bladder related.

Honestly most egg allergies are egg white related which is why mine was so odd.

There isn't any data to support the existence of MSG allergies, despite my annoying drama-queen brother loudly announcing to every Asian waiter that he is deathly allergic. Rather the culprit in a reaction is often the astonishingly high sodium content of Asian food. I thought I had developed some sort of allergy to Chinese food because whenever I ate it I felt bad and developed severe pitting edema where I could bury my finger past the first knuckle in my ankle and the impression would remain for a half hour -- I was so freaked out the first time I went to the ER, they kept me overnight, ran every test imaginable before saying the sodium in soy sauce was gonna kill me. (Low sodium soy sauce has close to 600mg of sodium per serving. Regular soy sauce is double that.) Perhaps you feel ok when you make food because you don;t use as much soy sauce?

Latest posts

Back