Any tips for surgical site complications?

Manapan

I had laparoscopic DS on 3/22/18. I developed an infection behind my largest incision and it ruptured while I was in the surgeon's office for my one week follow up. They had me keep it open and flush it with hydrogen peroxide three times a day for a week, then I had a recheck. It was looking good so I got reduced to flushing it once a day. A couple weeks of that and it began to close up on its own.

It had been closed for a few days when it reopened the night before my one month follow up. Because there was no fluid coming from it but blood and because it had stopped bleeding by the time of the appointment, they cleared me for activities and lifting over 10 pounds. The only problem? It's reopened twice since that appointment. Literally every weekend, while the office is closed. And do they call me back on Monday? Nope! I have no idea what to do now so I was hoping someone had an idea.

Be a very squeaky wheel. Every time it reopens, you are at risk for infection. It might need more help to stay closed (gluing, tape, hell even sutures). In the meantime, stay on your lifting restrictions til it has closed and STAYED close for several weeks.

Agree with the above, and also do the best you can with protein because you need protein for wound healing. Also take some vitamin C. We absorb it well, so the usual stuff from Costco or the drug store should work, and it's also needed for wound healing.

And squeak!

Thanks everyone! I was vocal enough to get an appointment today. They're not concerned with how it looks enough to close it but suggested I pick up some Tegaderm for a trip I have planned to a water park later this month. I'm back on lifting restrictions to try to keep it from reopening once it closes this time.

I've been doing 90+ grams of protein daily, but it's hard to get much higher at this point. There's just not enough room, though I finally found a shake solution to help. The iron I'm using up has vitamin C in it (waiting for my heme iron to get here) and so does my multi.

Latest posts

Back