Any recommendations on who I can get to help with my labs?

danadear

I finally talked my PCP into ordering my labs. He admittedly said he knew nothing about half the tests I was asking for. (I used Dr. Greenbaum's "yearly labs for the DS patient") I told him no problem, if anything was off I could seek a professionals' help( is it a Nutritionist that I need?). Well, everything come back within normal limits with the exception of my vitamin D, zinc and copper which were all low. Ok, I know enough that I should supplement however I still have 3 questions like how much?, How long? What type? I'm struggling to find someone who can help me find those answers. I read we shouldn't supplement zinc for more than 3 months because it can deplete copper.(Does that hold true for
Ds-ers?) and, what about if you are already deficient in copper?)
If there is anyone here that can help me sort these things out I would be beyond Grateful!!!

Please post your results and tell us what supplements you currently take.

(A nutritionist will likely know nothing about the unique needs of a DSer.)

We are not professionals but we can help here. We'll tell you what we would do. So cover person info and post them here in the vitamins and labs board.

@danadear I'll focus on the zinc and copper.

I've been taking zinc and copper since I was about a year and a half out due to problems and side effects of zinc deficiency. The trick is to take both; bc it's true. Zinc does interfere with the absorption of copper. So you must supplement both. You also must split them up bc they fight each other if taken together. Some people take them every other day. I haven't needed to do that but I do take them at least 1 hour apart and, of course, with food. You can take them with other things just not with each other.

I recently changed suppliers as I wanted to spend less $. I'm currently taking Puritan's Pride zinc gluconate (50mg. 250 caplets per bottle) and PipingRock chelated copper (2mg. 250 tablets per bottle). The amounts I take are based off my bloods so they wouldn't be right for you. I'd start small. Try 1 or 2 of each. Then retest in 3 months and see where you are. Are both too low, too high, is one too high and one too low or are they both good? It's a constant tweaking game.

Last edited:
most of the long time vets here know the lab stuff like the back of their hand. @Larra, @southernlady, @DSRIGGS and @DianaCox are just few few to start with. if you can scan your labs in and delete your personal information they can help you. Unfortunately I'm a dummy who just knows the basics.

Latest posts

Back