Any reason to KEEP gallbladder?

I had mine removed in an emergency surgery when I was 23; but my surgeon said if I had still one, he'd take it out! He said he never leaves one behind.
I know nothing about kidney stones (and I have no desire to learn!) but I can tell you that gall bladder attacks are intense. There were times I had the most insane abdominal pain that was indescribable, which made emergency room doctors treat me like I was a pill seeking addict. I didn't have insurance back then, so they didn't bother testing me for anything other than pregnancy. One night, I felt like I was having a heart attack. I went to ER, and they finally put all the pieces to the puzzle together.
Anyways, if you're practically guaranteed to have issues later, I would avoid that pain and the second surgery in a heartbeat! Just my opinion!

With a DS, the gallbladder serves no purpose any longer - even if a bolus of bile were to be stored and released in response to a fatty meal, it would just trickle down the biliopancreatic limb and join up with the alimentary tract (and food) much much later, and not in a concentrated bolus anyway.

And not having to rule out gallstones as a (likely*) source of severe abdominal pain makes diagnosis of a problem with our complicated guts easier (as does removing the appendix).
* we can still get a stone formed and stuck in the common bile duct, but it is MUCH less likely.

I had mine removed in an emergency surgery when I was 23; but my surgeon said if I had still one, he'd take it out! He said he never leaves one behind.
I know nothing about kidney stones (and I have no desire to learn!) but I can tell you that gall bladder attacks are intense. There were times I had the most insane abdominal pain that was indescribable, which made emergency room doctors treat me like I was a pill seeking addict. I didn't have insurance back then, so they didn't bother testing me for anything other than pregnancy. One night, I felt like I was having a heart attack. I went to ER, and they finally put all the pieces to the puzzle together.
Anyways, if you're practically guaranteed to have issues later, I would avoid that pain and the second surgery in a heartbeat! Just my opinion!

agree

Having my ventral hernia/tummy tuck in 9 days. Had an ultrasound. I DO have a couple of gallstones, but no symptoms, pain, or anything. Doctor said it's up to me regarding removing the GB at the same time. I probably will take it out.

BUT what will life be like AFTER I have the GB removed? Will I have more gas, be unable to eat fat, have sudden urges to go to the bathroom? Or does none of that apply to DSers?

Will it aggravate my recovery?

I know the overwhelming consensus here is to take it out. I just want to know what to expect when I do.

Thank you...

Having my ventral hernia/tummy tuck in 9 days. Had an ultrasound. I DO have a couple of gallstones, but no symptoms, pain, or anything. Doctor said it's up to me regarding removing the GB at the same time. I probably will take it out.

BUT what will life be like AFTER I have the GB removed? Will I have more gas, be unable to eat fat, have sudden urges to go to the bathroom? Or does none of that apply to DSers?

Will it aggravate my recovery?

I know the overwhelming consensus here is to take it out. I just want to know what to expect when I do.

Thank you...
You probably won't be able to tell the difference. Glad you are getting it out. Especially since you already have stones. It's a problem waiting to happen!

I had mine removed at 6 months out. The nut told me I would have to limit fat the rest of my life...good thing she doesn't see how much I eat daily.

So there was no difference after your GB was removed?
One difference...apparently my GB had been marginal most of my life cause the fat content in egg yolks made me sick. I honestly thought I was allergic to egg yolks, starting about age 14. AFTER my gall bladder was removed, I happened across an article in Medscape or Medline or some place like that that mentioned sensitivity to egg yolks as a symptom of gall bladder issues. So one weekend I decided to see how I did with a real egg and not the fake egg whites. I made sure it was a weekend where I would be at home if needed. Turns out, I no longer have an issue with egg yolks. Hard boiled, deviled are all my friends now.

So yes, there WAS a difference but a positive one.

Good to know nothing but positive side efects. Thanks (and congrats on making friends with eggs :))!

Anyone else?

I suppose this makes me the board test subject. My surgeon left mine in and prescribed Ursodiol for 3 months. The NP who discussed this with me at my pre-op told me that there are "studies" that indicate that bariatric patients who retain the gallbladder without Ursodial have something like an 80% chance of needing the organ removed at a later date, but the risk is brought down to 2% in patients who take the 3 month course of Ursodiol.

I don't know whether to believe this or not. Dr. Boyce told me that he would examine my gallbladder in the OR and if there was any sign of stones, he would remove it.

Guess we get to use me as the guinea pig to see if this works or it's bullshit.

I suppose this makes me the board test subject. My surgeon left mine in and prescribed Ursodiol for 3 months. The NP who discussed this with me at my pre-op told me that there are "studies" that indicate that bariatric patients who retain the gallbladder without Ursodial have something like an 80% chance of needing the organ removed at a later date, but the risk is brought down to 2% in patients who take the 3 month course of Ursodiol.

I don't know whether to believe this or not. Dr. Boyce told me that he would examine my gallbladder in the OR and if there was any sign of stones, he would remove it.

Guess we get to use me as the guinea pig to see if this works or it's bullshit.
That doesn't account for sluggish gallbladder or one irritated by fat intake pre-op but not showing stones.

No stones in mine but given my history, it's been marginal since I was 14.

What Diana says make sense: with a DS, we no longer have any use for one. So its only function now is to cause trouble (or not).

In addition to the cost of Ursodiol, it also has these side effects: Stomach upset, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, back pain, hair loss, or cough may occur. And you may STILL need GB removed. It must be taken during weight loss... and we lose rapidly well beyond three months.

Latest posts

Back