Anti anxiety drugs?

Megange1

Hi-

My doctor thinks my extreme nausea could be caused partially by depression/anxiety. I hate taking more drugs and have NOT had luck on these types of meds in the past. Has anyone tried one called buspirone? How did it work for you? Or other stories using similar things? I'm definitely more emotional since surgery.

No help with anti anxiety medications. I will say that almost every one of us is hit hard emotionally after surgery. It's like having a super bad case of PMS. Be kind to yourself and talk to someone, friend or professional but someone. Honestly my feelings were all over the place in the months afterwards.

I've not used it...but I'd want to make sure that I had the "several times a day" dosage instead if a single sustained-release or time-release capsule. Our rearranged guts are not the best match for those administrations.

I agree with others that talking with someone trained in dealing with anxiety and depression can make a big difference. And also that there are hormone shirts after this surgery that you could be experiencing, that will improve with time. But in the meantime, get whatever help you need - meds, therapy, both if needed. Take care of yourself!

@Megange1 I do not know your specific medication needs (obviously), but off hand prescribing anti-anxiety or anti-depressants for a woman who just had bariatric surgery and cannot keep food down sounds like a really sexist thing for a doctor to say. As in, "You a hysterical woman and need to calm down and take a chill pill." Bariatric surgery is very stressful, trying to figure out how to eat and which supplements to take, and how and when to take the supplements does cause anxiety early out. Your body is going through a lot right now. Anxiety, worry, fear, depression are all part of the recovery process to some degree.

You might start logging your food, look for patterns that cause they upset (for example lactose and whey protein drinks may be causing stomach upset) and just take a step backward and eat foods you know are safe. Chew really, really well. Eat something every 2 hours. Drink at least 64 ounces of water. If you are not already taking a PPI and/or anti nausea drugs ask your doc about those.

If you are anxious and depressed then use the WLS boards for informational support and try to find a mental health counselor to talk with. I say all of this without knowing the degree of your anxiety/depression, but medication tends to only fix one part of a problem, and counseling is needed to resolve emotional issues and learn new coping skills.

I am not a doctor so I don't have an opinion on the medication recommendation but things I have tried and that have worked for me for anxiety/depression are Mindfulness (focused attention with deep breathing), exercise, trying to control my thoughts (not going too far into the future or too deep into the weeds), therapy, music and art (or another activity you can "lose" yourself in, and EFT (you can watch YouTube videos on the technique which is surprisingly simple). I do not know your particular situation but I hope you are able to find some relief. All the best.

Latest posts

Back