Another protein question....or two

BigGeekGirl

Two questions:

How quickly can protein deficiency occur?

Studies on the best type of protein for us?

I've seen relatively recent post ops concerned but I think to so many people who fad diet and eat nothing but potatoes or drink juice for weeks and they don't suffer from protein deficiency....

Does it take one month? Two?

Also- I've heard certain types of proteins absorb better but it's always ancillary opinions. Are there studies saying whey is better than egg? Were they done on WLS patients?

Thanks!

You have entered into the DS Zone, where nothing found in the surgically unaltered necessarily applies.

How quickly you experience deficiency depends on your pre-DS nutritional status, your post-DS surgical anatomy, your digestive efficiency, GI loss because of diarrhea, your age, your exercise level, etc.

The important fact is that however rapidly protein deficiency happens in the surgically inaltered, it happens much faster in us. The dieters you reference may indeed be malnourished, and would have deficient blood tests if they were tested, but the visible signs of malnutrition in a previously healthy person don’t appear immediately.

Protein quality in the surgically unaltered is generally ranked as whey and egg best, animal/fish meat and soy second, and other plant proteins like wheat or beans last. Since protein is not just a single amino acid (there are 20 different proteins needed), a mix of food protein sources seems like a good idea to me. I am not aware of any studies that indicate which protein sources are most efficiently digested after surgery. Someone may come along here and educate us both. Until then, I aim to include egg and milk every day as protein sources, at least 3 servings of some sort of meat, and then, here and there, nuts, wheat, and beans.

A lesson learned is that is much better to stay in a protein sufficient level than to try to get back to a protein stable level after falling out of it.

All you have to do is make sure you get all the amino acids you need in sufficient quantities. http://www.easy-vegetarian-diet.com/amino-acids.html

Just like with supplements, it's performance over time.

I was looking for something the other day and found essential amino acid supplements and I thought about you. I didn't actually research it and figure out if they would work for us but it might be worth it to check out. And it looks like most of them are pills. Since you would only need to supplement some amino acids, maybe they would work.

You're correct, as usual. I guess I like to look for patterns to make sure I don't suffer these issues.

But at the end of the day I know it's about how my body reacts, what my labs are trending and what I eat.

Thanks for reminding me.

Thank you! I will check it out.

I take chlorophyll which contains some protein but I'll look into separate amino acids.

My labs are coming up ...

Thank you! I will check it out.

I take chlorophyll which contains some protein but I'll look into separate amino acids.

My labs are coming up ...
It will be interesting to see how you do. I have often thought that careful vegetarianism would be possible for long term postops.

It will be interesting to see how you do. I have often thought that careful vegetarianism would be possible for long term postops.

The other day I ran around for a couple hours getting up and down from the ground with my son and my legs were sore as though I had lifted weights. If my protein levels are even low normal I may have to add eggs into my diet but otherwise I feel great just on plant based (tofu and tempeh and protein bars included).

I wonder if these assorted aminos would help too. I need to better track types of protein. Learn more about aminos in broccoli vs. in peas vs. in rice.

I just realized my food tracking app has all the amino acids... I'll just aim for 200% of each?

See below image.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back