Another Lap-bander to DS

Amalya

~* Kim *~
Hey all,
I wanted to tell you a little bit about myself. I had Lapband surgery in 2007. Have kept off about 40 pounds since. I met my husband in 2008, got married in 2010, had 2 kids (2011 and 2013). Since my second was born, the reflux from my band was increasing and just awful. I ended up having it removed and started the 6 month doctor visits to have a revision to RNY. That surgery was on November 28, 2016. The Doctor only removed the band. He said there was too much inflammation and scarring. He said to wait 3 months and try again. He went back in February 28th, only to not have a positive outcome. No surgery yet again. He said that he doesn't want to try again for awhile.

My husband suggested that we get a 2nd opinion. I made an appointment to see Dr. Prachand at the University of Chicago a few weeks ago. He said that what my previous surgeon said is probably true (going off of the pictures I provided, along with the conversation that we had). He said that he recommends the Duodenal Switch. I made a follow up appointment with him for the 30th of last month to ask more questions and to meet with his dietician and psychologist.

According to my new surgeon, I shouldn't have to complete any other requirements....I am hoping this is true!

Thanks for having me...I have enjoyed lurking around :)

Good for you. The DS is pretty much the only WLS that really works.

Just make sure you get what you are paying for. Make sure he plans to do a true 2 anastomosis DS. Don't settle for the loop unless that's REALLY what you want and you know the difference. Read up there are several threads about it here.

Welcome and best of luck!

Welcome! You should be able to transfer any tests you've already done, psych eval, etc to your new surgeon. Do make sure you are getting a real, 2 anastomosis DS, but Dr. Prarchand is a known DS surgeon and I haven't heard of him doing anything but the real, standard of care DS.

We discussed all of the different types...and we both agreed that the traditional DS is absolutely what I need. Thank you!!

welcome. I'm glad you found a doctor that believes in the good old DS. Hopefully the 3rd surgery will be the ticket!

Latest posts

Back