An Obesity Post-mortum Exam

k9ophile

I was browsing programs on Netflix and saw a program about how obesity looks on the inside. While I found the prospect intriguing, I really don't think I can watch it. However, if any of you have Netflix and can handle it, it might be interesting.

(I went into Medical Records because I am fascinated by medical things, but could not be a nurse, physician, or anyone else who deals with actual sick people. When I was in school, I was doing a directed practice at a teaching hospital. I was offered the opportunity to watch an autopsy, which I promptly and politely declined.)

Last edited:
Oh god.....I know. People have posted photos of their surgeries here and the inside of their guts and I just get queasy at stuff like this.

I’ll try to find it this weekend! I’m not bothered by surgeries or autopsies and would love to see one live. Suffering from acute injury is hard for me to see but not if the person is anesthetized or gone.

I will check it out, I have had Netflix for a few months now and I really love it. Just watched The Wave - a disaster movie from Norway - and I loved that.

I should have gone into medical records - I am tired of having to deal with people. :(

I will check it out, I have had Netflix for a few months now and I really love it. Just watched The Wave - a disaster movie from Norway - and I loved that.

I should have gone into medical records - I am tired of having to deal with people. :(
Yes, no people except for people who want copies of their records now, doctors who refuse to complete the records in a timely fashion, etc. It is relatively sane compared to direct care giving, but I'm happy to be away from it. There is too much regulation by state and federal agencies. And just when you figure out how to comply with those regulations, they're changed.

I'm not quite sure - especially since I was a biology/biochem major, and got my PhD from UCLA Medical School (I DID have to go to a slaughterhouse to get calf thymus for experiments one time, but not quite the same, huh?). I did go into the autopsy room once, but the bodies were in the cold rooms that only had small windows with mostly obscured glass in them - all I saw was shadows of the bodies hanging in there ...

My mother died last year, but I was almost 3000 miles away. My father, who is going to be 87 in a few days, will be coming to live with us soon, increasing my odds that my lucky streak is about to run out.

It's actually not such a good thing, in a way - I've now got a "thing" about death. I don't go to funerals anymore, because I can't stop crying at them, even if I was not close to the deceased, for reasons I don't entirely understand. Last one I went to was in 2005 - it was not the last one I should have attended.

Mom was cremated, and my sister has the cremains - at some point, we are going to have to do something about them. I think maybe when my father passes we kids will do a joint ceremony of scattering both of their ashes over the graves of Mom's parents. Even though my parents divorced around 1980, neither of them remarried, and Dad said he wouldn't mind if that was where "he" ended up too.

As I recall, they were in what looked like big sort of see-through garment bags. I’m trying to remember how they were suspended, and I don’t recall.

I tried to look this up. I did find this:
https://books.google.com/books?id=a...hool dissection stored hung cold room&f=false

OMG. Maybe this is why I don’t remember - though I’m sure I couldn’t see clearly, I know they were upright. It is quite possible I was told they were hung by tongs in their ear canals, but I’m sure I didn’t see it directly.

I’m now going to have nightmares about this, after blocking it since I was about 22.

Very good point. I have missed out on seeing people who I have wanted to see because of my phobia about crying inappropriately. I need to deal with this soon.

Diana, It is never inappropriate to cry at a funeral. Even if we don't know the deceased, we can still be sad for their friends and relative's loss or reminded of those we have loved and lost. Humans are emotional beings who can be moved to cry at movies and books. It's how we work through feelings. Perfectly natural response and perfectly polite. Just bring tissues to share!

Latest posts

Back