Almost time! More pre-op concerns/questions.

heyclementine

Before I begin, I've just seen in another post someone reference "Diana's letter to new PCP's" but despite searching cannot find this post. Can someone help me out, as I would like to read it?

So, I have officially completed all the pre-op requirements and am waiting on a call, today actually, with my surgery date. I'm getting more excited and less nervous as I get closer, but still find myself with a lot of unanswered questions and concerns.

1. One thing I've often wondered is, what will happen to us DS'ers once we are old? Both of my grandmothers lived well into their 90's in primarily decent health, but both suffered from severe Alzheimer's and dementia. My maternal grandmother also had severe bone density issues. I worry sometimes that when I get older I'll forget I've had surgery and won't be able to vocalize my nutrition needs. I realize this is kind of silly to worry about when you're in your early 30's but I think about it fairly often. Any thoughts? I do have children so I'm hoping they'll help make sure this never becomes an issue but it does worry me some.

2. While I know how diligent I am when it comes to my own health, I still find myself endlessly worrying that I don't know enough about supplementation and post-op dietary needs and that I'll get into trouble because of it. I know that protein and hydration are extremely important but I get very concerned about the vitamins and solubility and all the various combinations and what to even start out taking before I've even had my first labs. I see posts where you guys seem to have this down to a science, and maybe one day I'll get there too, but in the meantime I'm terrified I don't have even the weakest grasp on post-op supplementation. Could someone give some advice on what supplements to be taking right after surgery, before any labs? I know I may have to add to that based on lab work, but I would feel better if I had that info. Perhaps this information is available on the Vitalady page, I'll check there too.

3. Is it possible to get very physically fit after losing weight from surgery? When I was younger, though still overweight, I was very athletic and into training and lifting weights, etc.. I guess what I'm silently afraid of is always feeling the "handicap" of such a complex surgery. Perhaps having energy issues or muscle problems.. It's just kind of a quiet concern I have. Anyone have experience here?

4. (Shallow question alert) I'm fully aware I will likely need plastic surgery down the road to remove excess skin, etc, but occasionally I wonder if it's possible to ever have a good (decent?) looking naked body after weight loss surgery. Trust me, I am fully aware of how stupid that sounds. This is NOT a deal breaker I'm just wondering. Does anyone ever get to the point where they look good naked or will I have a weird looking, albeit much smaller, body forever? I'm just curious!

I know I have more questions and concerns, I need to start writing them down because every time I start a post here I forget them all! I am so happy to have this source of information as I don't think I could dive into this complex of a surgery without the information and support provided here. I am also so thankful I didn't jump into WLS 5 years ago when I first began researching because I would be sitting here with a lap band. I'm very happy I waited and discovered the DS as I'm fully convinced it's the best surgery out there and the right one for me, for sure. I only wish I could quell my inner voice that questions if I have what it takes to remain in good health after surgery. I guess being aware is half of that battle, but I would appreciate any pointers or experiences you guys might want to share that may help me feel more confident.

I am currently at my heaviest weight ever, close to 360 at 5'10'', and while I have very few health issues now, I know it's just a matter of time. I feel terrible, both physically and mentally, so I'm so (there are no words to express how) excited to have this surgery and turn my life around. My 35th birthday is next month and with any luck, my surgery will be too!

Thanks for listening.

:)

Before I begin, I've just seen in another post someone reference "Diana's letter to new PCP's" but despite searching cannot find this post. Can someone help me out, as I would like to read it?

So, I have officially completed all the pre-op requirements and am waiting on a call, today actually, with my surgery date. I'm getting more excited and less nervous as I get closer, but still find myself with a lot of unanswered questions and concerns.

1. One thing I've often wondered is, what will happen to us DS'ers once we are old? Both of my grandmothers lived well into their 90's in primarily decent health, but both suffered from severe Alzheimer's and dementia. My maternal grandmother also had severe bone density issues. I worry sometimes that when I get older I'll forget I've had surgery and won't be able to vocalize my nutrition needs. I realize this is kind of silly to worry about when you're in your early 30's but I think about it fairly often. Any thoughts? I do have children so I'm hoping they'll help make sure this never becomes an issue but it does worry me some.

Sorry to be blunt, but, that question is really a mute point...because you wont even live to be in your 90's without the WLS and the permanent weight reduction.

2. While I know how diligent I am when it comes to my own health, I still find myself endlessly worrying that I don't know enough about supplementation and post-op dietary needs and that I'll get into trouble because of it. I know that protein and hydration are extremely important but I get very concerned about the vitamins and solubility and all the various combinations and what to even start out taking before I've even had my first labs. I see posts where you guys seem to have this down to a science, and maybe one day I'll get there too, but in the meantime I'm terrified I don't have even the weakest grasp on post-op supplementation. Could someone give some advice on what supplements to be taking right after surgery, before any labs? I know I may have to add to that based on lab work, but I would feel better if I had that info. Perhaps this information is available on the Vitalady page, I'll check there too.

Better left answered by a VET

3. Is it possible to get very physically fit after losing weight from surgery? When I was younger, though still overweight, I was very athletic and into training and lifting weights, etc.. I guess what I'm silently afraid of is always feeling the "handicap" of such a complex surgery. Perhaps having energy issues or muscle problems.. It's just kind of a quiet concern I have. Anyone have experience here?

YES...Because of your YOUNGER age, you have a REALLY great chance of getting VERY physically fit still! Seen it happen a lot.

4. (Shallow question alert) I'm fully aware I will likely need plastic surgery down the road to remove excess skin, etc, but occasionally I wonder if it's possible to ever have a good (decent?) looking naked body after weight loss surgery. Trust me, I am fully aware of how stupid that sounds. This is NOT a deal breaker I'm just wondering. Does anyone ever get to the point where they look good naked or will I have a weird looking, albeit much smaller, body forever? I'm just curious!

Better left answered by another Woman. :D

I know I have more questions and concerns, I need to start writing them down because every time I start a post here I forget them all! I am so happy to have this source of information as I don't think I could dive into this complex of a surgery without the information and support provided here. I am also so thankful I didn't jump into WLS 5 years ago when I first began researching because I would be sitting here with a lap band. I'm very happy I waited and discovered the DS as I'm fully convinced it's the best surgery out there and the right one for me, for sure. I only wish I could quell my inner voice that questions if I have what it takes to remain in good health after surgery. I guess being aware is half of that battle, but I would appreciate any pointers or experiences you guys might want to share that may help me feel more confident.

I am currently at my heaviest weight ever, close to 360 at 5'10'', and while I have very few health issues now, I know it's just a matter of time. I feel terrible, both physically and mentally, so I'm so (there are no words to express how) excited to have this surgery and turn my life around. My 35th birthday is next month and with any luck, my surgery will be too!

Thanks for listening.

First off, NOT an expert, BUT do have an observation or comment or two.....See above in RED
Good luck to you!

Thanks for the response! And I should add that I do know I wouldn't live so long without weight reduction. I wouldn't choose to not have surgery over this issue, just wondering how everyone is planning for their health to be handled when they're older. Many people begin having memory issues way before 90! It's really just something I'm curious about. Thanks again :)

Thanks for listening.

1. I figure I'd never live to that point if I wouldn't have gotten the weight off and now if I do get to a point where I can't advocate for myself, then it's probably time for me to go anyway. I'd hate to live with dementia or Alzheimer's. If I were to get something that I could recover from, then I'd expect my family to advocate for me. They will all be educated on my needs.

2. I would start big with the vitalady recommended DS regimen and tweak from there as you get labs done. I just had my 3mo labs done a few weeks ago and made a few minor changes. I seems like so much at first, but really, once you get into it, it's fairlu straightforward.

3. You might feel the handicap of whatever being obese has done to your body, but it won't have anything to do with the surgery Howe ER complex or not it may be.

4. Everyone's body and skin are different. I will never have a decent looking body without plastics. I have no clue if I'll ever decide to go that route or not. My husband loves my body...wrinkly saggy loose skin and all. I'm really the only person that is repulsed by it. My thighs are disgusting. Lol

You're gonna do fine....hope your date is soon so you can get started!

I don't think your questions are silly at all. I think a lot about that first one, as I am now 60. I think the best we can do is to really try to communicate with our PCP and family what our needs are. Write it down, and put it in a safe place for someone to find if necessary. I know one thing for sure...the last 13 years (since DS) have been some of the best years of my life.

Well, I'm 60 and a widow, so I've got no feedback on how my naked body looks. I have to say, however, I am comfortable seeing myself naked now. There was a time when I would never look at myself that way.

You can be an athlete again...just give yourself time!

Last edited:
I have just a couple thoughts: I would have died before my 50th birthday without the Ds, so I never worried about Ds and old age. Every day is a gift.

Learning is ongoing. It's a lifetime commitment. Just keep at it.

I think you have some valid questions, and the fact that you're asking them shows that you're not the average nitwit looking into WLS without being smart enough to understand what they're doing to their bodies, so bravo for that!

Just a couple of thoughts...
1- as some have said, I know I'd never live to see 50, nevermind 90, if I hadn't taken care of my health by getting the DS. Even if I were to live to 50 the way I was before, it was no life that anyone wanted to live, so I have the the opinion that if *I* live to be a ripe old age and can't understand what's going on around me, or my own body, any longer, then I'm ok going at that point. I don't need to prolong a physical state where my mind has turned to mush. Of course, that's my opinion, may not be for everyone, but there it is.

2- if you're SMO, then there's not a great chance for you to have a "normal" looking body when you lose all the weight. Health benefits aside, most people would rather take the wrinkly saggy body over the SMO one, especially because you can look fabulous in clothes, but it is a struggle for some, myself included. People have varying degrees of hang-ups about it, some none at all. I'm probably a little more self conscious about my body now, but I'm also a little crazy :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

3- I think it's totally possible for you to become very physically fit. Remember, size is not an indicator of physical fitness and it's possible to be chubby and fit of skinny and very unfit. I'd wager to say that It's not something that's 100% possible for everyone, some have trouble getting their protein in, some have more trouble than others with absorption. Plus,I think if you're going to be a fitness buff, carbs are something your body will need, and some don't have insides that tolerate them at all, but there are DSers that are running marathons now. I think the level of fitness you're seeking will only be something that you'll be able to figure out with time. Plus, remember that goes for normal people too, some people wish they could run a marathon or be a body builder, but have physical limitations of one kind or another that prevent it.

I was super "fit" as a young woman. I was a competitive horseback rider and even did some stunt doubling. I got up to 260 two years ago, but I'm a good bit shorter than you. I started working out again last summer. I worked with a physical therapist and the exercise physiologist at my doctors office. The six weeks before my surgery, I was working out about 7 hours a week with a trainer doing isometrics and Pilates. I wanted to have some core fitness "in the bank" before my activity was limited for an extended period. My doctor released me to do all activity 12 days after my surgery because I went in so strong. I started again with a physical therapist 2 weeks after my surgery. I actually have visible upper ab muscles after losing a little over 25 lb since surgery. There is doughy white skin over them, but I'm only 6 weeks post op. I hate my arms, but I have defined shoulder muscles. My inner thighs are flabby, must my calves look great and my quads are killer. I'm pushing 50 pretty hard, so I don't expect my old skin to bounce back like it would if I'd lost my weight and kept it off by 35. The answer to "can you be athletic?" is "Absolutely!". Often in Pilates, my instructor will use me to show how to do a progression to a class of women 10 years younger and 50 pounds lighter than me. The first thing you need to do, though, is learn to love your body for what it can do rather than how it looks. It's much more motivating to have a success every day ( I ran two miles for the first time today!!) than a failure ( eek, my breasts look like cantaloupes in pillowcases). I would also suggest that you get a body composition scale. I find it much more exciting to find out that I have 102 pounds of muscle and that my body fat is down by 2 % than just losing a couple pounds, knowing it could be all water.

Sounds like we are at about the same place although I just got my date last week; I still keep coming up with questions and although excited, I still have a sense of nervousness before I step into the "unknown" (at least to me).

1. I think as others have said, your young enough that this will take care of itself over time. As a DS'er we will need to keep current on blood-work which will determine our nutritional and supplemental needs. I would think that any type of elder care would be watching this but still I can see how this could be a concern. Besides, I know that if I get to the point where my mind is gone does anything else really matter :whistling: ?

2. I know what you mean. What I have come to realize through reading the posts here from some of the vets is that INITIALLY the vitamins and supplements aren't an issue: we will have enough in our fat stores that will metabolize once the fat leaves to sustain us for the first few months. I get confused big time by the requirements too but it seems that happens to everyone. Eventually I think it becomes second nature - it's just that it's new territory for us and right now all we can do is think about the 'what ifs'. Once we get our first set of labs we will have better direction and I know I'll be posting my results here to get some sage advice (and probably better than my NUT) from the vets as to what to do.

3. Boy this is also a big one for me too! I've become really into weight training in the past 3 months and am worried about being able to maintain the same level of intensity after surgery. I actually posted about it here http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/p...sorption-and-weight-training.2759/#post-40910. I think it will be a wait and see how my body reacts kind of thing.

4. Again, same feelings here and not a shallow question. I feel I've come to terms with the fact that there will be skin. I think there are ways of dealing with it both through exercise to help minimize it (nothing will make it disappear), time and surgery (which is possible to get insurance to pay for;)).

My heaviest was last December at 412. I'm now at 346 through diet and exercise but still need and want my DS. It precipitated for me in much the same way, I felt horrible both physically and mentally (for a long time too). Last November was the second time I revisited the idea of bariatric surgery. I started with thinking I wanted the sleeve but through researching and visiting with my surgeon, decided that the DS was what I needed and wanted and haven't changed my mind since.

I believe this community of people is one of the best things I could have discovered to help me in my journey. Stick around and ask questions, these guys are always more than happy to help us and best of all many of them know exactly where we are coming from because they've been there themselves.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back