Abnormal test results

CaitlynR

Aspiring Wizard
I had a regular PCP visit which included a urine test. Apparently the urine is all out of wack....positive for WBC(1+) RBC(1+), Bilirubin(2+), Protein(2+), Urobilinogen(1+). Plus they finger stuck me to see what my glucose was. It was 100, fasting! I didn’t even have diabetes (but was getting close) pre-DS. What the heck.

I am anxiously awaiting blood test results and am scheduled to go back next week for a follow up. Trying to not worry too much but I get anxious about health stuff.

As far as your finger stick, that isn’t unheard of....even if they “cleaned” the spot with an alcohol swab. To get a clean one, wash hands in soap and water thoroughly for a minimum of 20 sec and then dry with a paper towel. All alcohol swabs do is give the illusion of being cleaned cause it takes longer than just 15 seconds and a wipe or two to clean. In fact, the only place I “used” alcohol swabs was in a clinical setting. At home, I just washed.

But have a repeat finger stick and get an A1C just for piece of mind. If your A1C is elevated, ask for a C-Peptide test. https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/c-peptide#1

Hmm, interesting. Yes, the finger definitely just was cleaned with an alcohol wipe. One of the blood tests was A1c so I’ll have that within a week. I will be very frustrated if my sugars remain in the pre-diabetes range as avoiding developing diabetes (which is nasty in my family) was one of the main motivators for the surgery. I’ll hold off until I see the A1c before jumping to any conclusions.

Hmm, interesting. Yes, the finger definitely just was cleaned with an alcohol wipe. One of the blood tests was A1c so I’ll have that within a week. I will be very frustrated if my sugars remain in the pre-diabetes range as avoiding developing diabetes (which is nasty in my family) was one of the main motivators for the surgery. I’ll hold off until I see the A1c before jumping to any conclusions.
http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/diabetes.5590/

No, just a scheduled checkup. One thing that does help me feel better is that my period started today. One hypothesis my doc had is that my period was about to start which can at least explain the blood (as I knew I was about due, but I am not consistent so it is not super predictable). I’m hoping that plus mild dehydration can explain the abnormal results.

SL, I know the DS doesn’t always mean full sustained diabetes remission. I was hoping though given I was not fully diabetic I would arrest the development early enough to prevent the organ damage that your link post describes. This result means no improvement over pre-surgery fasting numbers (which tended to be in the 95-115 range), assuming the number was accurate. That would be at the edge of normal, which means that over time it’s going to get worse from here. Prior to surgery I had a A1c of 6.7 in March and of 6.1 in May.

I would seriously cry and mourn if it did nothing for sugar control as I don’t think the surgery would be worth it to me without at least slowing down the disease or disease intensity.

I would seriously cry and mourn if it did nothing for sugar control as I don’t think the surgery would be worth it to me without at least slowing down the disease or disease intensity.
That is why I suggested the C-Peptide test. It might be that you aren't a type 2 pre-diabetic at all but a type 1 or LADA. Those two are the autoimmune diabetes that can NOT be cured with any WLS. They can be managed but not cured. The only possible way to cure those types are a pancreatic transplant but then you are on anti rejection drugs for life.

When my A1C started climbing again, I contacted Direct Labs and paid for my own C-Peptide test as trying to convince a doctor to order one at my age and health and family history would have been damned near impossible. I came back as a solid type 2. So mine is NOT autoimmune. BTW, I do have other autoimmune diseases so it was conceivable, just very unlikely.

But before getting all worked up, wait for the A1C.

Thank you so much. I didn’t know of this other type (just the childhood one and the type 2) and will certainly ask for this test (or even pay for it if necessary) if my A1c is still elevated.

Update:

A1c of 4.8, very happy about that. Lipid panel still elevated, about the same (slightly worse cholesterol and LDL, slightly better Triglicerides), which is a disappointment.

The major abnormality is my liver enzymes. Alkalane Phosphatase 186 (39-117), AST 77 (0-40), ALT 208 (0-32).

The major abnormality is my liver enzymes. Alkalane Phosphatase 186 (39-117), AST 77 (0-40), ALT 208 (0-32).

Mine went sky high when I was losing weight fast (to the point my PCP ordered a hepatitis test), and dropped back to normal when my weight loss slowed.

Update:

A1c of 4.8, very happy about that. Lipid panel still elevated, about the same (slightly worse cholesterol and LDL, slightly better Triglicerides), which is a disappointment.

Good news on the a1c!
In the first year or so after surgery, your liver is working overtime to get rid of the fat you are losing so rapidly. Its one of the main reasons that surgeons say no alcohol the first year or so as alcohol also taxes the liver.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1141.full

You aren't even 6 months out RIGHT now. I suspect your liver is and will be pissed at you for another year or two. IF it doesn't resolve after you have lost all or most of your weight and you are passed the 2 year mark, THEN worry about elevated liver enzymes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back