A few questions about vitamins...

Marquis Mark

Can anybody answer some/all of these questions? Thank you, as always....

1. Can I take 4-6 mgs of copper at a time? Or is it like Calcium and only so much will absorb at any given time. My copper and cerruloplasmin have been dropping, despite taking Vitalady recommended doses so I cut my zinc in half (now 50) and take it separately from copper, but they're still dropping a bit. I've read that low copper can bring on a form of anemia.

2. Does our Zinc need to be chelated? I have two big bottles of Zinc Gluconate which I hate to throw out. Is it possible to just increase the dose of Zinc gluconate, or is it worthless for us?

3. I'm getting an iron infusion in a couple of weeks. Should I continue to take Vitamin C after that (assuming they take me off oral iron at that point). I've read that Vitamin C is responsible for oxalate production. And oxalates are responsible for kidney stones. No thanks.

My lab spreadsheet is attached for reference.

Attachments

• DS Labs Spreadsheet.xlsx
    79.6 KB · Views: 4
I am not even sure what cerrulolplasim is so not sure c I would worry.

I take my copper in one dose.

I have taken numerous different zinc types and the gluconate works just like any other kind for me.

I don't take vitamin C.

Cerruloplasmin is a copper carrying protein. It's on many DS lab draw lists. It seems to drop as the copper drops.

How much copper do you take in a dose? How have your copper numbers been?

Is your zinc gluconate chelated? I think I've seen chelated and non-chelated gluconate...

I take 6mg. It is always just below or in range regardless of what I do.

My zinc is just normal zinc. I fight to keep both copper in range and frankly Dr k told me that he isn't concerned with where my levels of each are currently at. He says I am doing a good job keeping things in range and or adjusting and that I am in better shape than 99% of people fighting to overcome condition.

He was more concerned with my a and d levels and gave me injections. I do feel like my energy is good even with hospitalization recently.

Personally I think you are okay with what you are taking and when. I do separate my zinc and copper, as well as calcium/jarrow.

Last edited:
1) I don't take copper at this point in time so no clue.
2) You can take the zinc long enough to use it up but you really need the chelated. Is there no way to return it?
3) You do not have to come off oral iron even after infusions. And I've never taken C. I had to stop the Vitalady iron early on since it made me feel sick to my stomach. Not sure why. But back to oral iron...you can remain on it even after infusions. I did to see if it helped keep my numbers up. It wasn't helping or hurting so I stopped mine about a year later.

1) I don't take copper at this point in time so no clue.
2) You can take the zinc long enough to use it up but you really need the chelated. Is there no way to return it?
3) You do not have to come off oral iron even after infusions. And I've never taken C. I had to stop the Vitalady iron early on since it made me feel sick to my stomach. Not sure why. But back to oral iron...you can remain on it even after infusions. I did to see if it helped keep my numbers up. It wasn't helping or hurting so I stopped mine about a year later.
I was told cheated zinc was better nut I found nor me that want true. The regular performs just the same for me, that is, the lab results were the same with each.

I take a ton of zinc and copper. Have for years. No problem with gluconate. I also take 6 mg. of copper at one time.

If you're having difficulties getting your numbers up ( and I also check the ceruloplasmin) consider taking zinc one day and copper the next.

I take a ton of zinc and copper. Have for years. No problem with gluconate. I also take 6 mg. of copper at one time.

If you're having difficulties getting your numbers up ( and I also check the ceruloplasmin) consider taking zinc one day and copper the next.

Thank you for that. And to everyone for all of the responses.

AAA, Question:

At the moment, I take 4 mg of copper at 6 am and 50 Zinc at about 6 pm. Originally, I was following the Vitalady regimen which had me taking 100 zinc and 2 copper. But when I got my 3-month labs back, my zinc had gone up from 56 pre-surgery to 96; and my copper had dropped from 77 pre-surgery to 73 while the cerruloplasmin went from 20 to 18. My copper and cerruplasmin dropped a bit more at a follow up draw two-months later (last month) which is why I added the copper and lowered the zinc. Zinc seems to be the only mineral/vitamin which actually went up after my surgery. Everything else headed down, despite supplements.

Anyway, given that I already take copper and zinc 12 hours apart would you still separate them further, by taking them on alternating days? Also, would you increase the copper to 6 and take it all at once, or just wait for the next draw which should be in about a month?

Thank you!

That does sound like a significant amount of time between the copper and zinc. I wait an hour. But was told by my DS nutrit. to try every other day if my copper didn't get up enough. I never followed through w/it bc it was getting closer to normal.

Actually, this last blood draw was the first time copper has been right on the number in years. So we were both happy.

As for amounts: I take 6 mg. three times a day as I take a great deal of zinc. If you're going for bloods in a month, I'd up the copper to see what it looks like in your next bloods. And to ensure it isn't negatively affecting your zinc numbers.

Latest posts

Back