6wks Post-DS - Still hard to eat solid proteins

TvanV

i had my DS on March 9, 2017 and while I have no problem at all with fluids -water, protein shakes, popsicles, etc- and non-protein solids -protein pasta, soft cheeses, macadamia nuts, protein bars, olives, etc- I still can't eat meat except for ground beef.

Does this seem normal at this stage? I did have a routine post-op Upper GI Fluoroscopy and the radiologist said everything was perfect and that whoever did my surgery should be commended, so this isn't related to a complication.

Every body is so different, it's hard to know what is "normal".

It can take a surprisingly long time for some foods to go down well. And each of us is a little different. I could eat steak long before I could manage ground beef - something about the texture.
Give yourself time. Try the softest and least stringy proteins you can find. It's ok to use fatty meats, not just lean meats. It will get better.

Same here. No one seemed to have the same problem, although Larra said it took her 8 months. So I waited 8 months. Um, no. I couldn't eat solid protein for more than a YEAR. It felt like a brick was in my esophagus and in the early months was accompanied by searing pain... until I puked it up. I still can't eat more than about 2 oz. of solid protein -- I go ahead and order the 12 oz of prime rib as I did yesterday and just bring it home in a doggie bag. (even when I can't doggie bag, as when I was in Europe all last month, I still order what I want and leave 80% on the plate -- I won't limit myself to food "my size".) I had this problem with some breads and pastas, like they were forming a dough ball. Every now and then this still happens but not often.

Try flaky, wet saucy meat, like barbecued pork or beef. I had luck with that, sometimes. Chicken thighs are easier than chicken breast, which I can now just barely eat 18 months out but only if it is moist. Skip anything with the word "lean" in the description.

BTW it only got easier when I switched from 40mg PPI to 20mg. I think part of the problem was that I didn't have enough acid left to digest solid protein.

And I was able to eat ground beef early on. Chicken is still an issue at 6 years unless it's dark meat and well lubed. (My homemade fried chicken counts as well lubed but only the first meal. If it's put in the fridge and then later eaten, it's not doable).

Have you tried tuna and chicken salad with lots of real mayo? How about shrimp or scallops?

Yes, I can handle tuna salad and chicken salad if they have been completely puréed, otherwise no. I was thinking of trying scallops. I tried shrimp and that didn't go so well, but I'm going to cook them medium rare and try again. I can handle raw salmon and tuna just fine.

If you can eat all those things you will be fine. Just give it more time. Every DS is different. I was eating steak at about 10 days out.

I could eat shrimp within 6 or 8 weeks. Fatty pork I could do in 3 months. All other meats took 6 or 7 months. Now I can eat anything.

Latest posts

Back