6 week post op report

BrianChesteen

Glad to be a Loser!
Surgeon's NP warned me that with my history of gout attacks that the DS, diet and rapid weight loss may cause flareups. I have been on 100mg of Allopurinol since surgery but around Thursday of last week I got an attack in my right big toe. The nurse called me in some Colcrys 0.6MG and this stuff did not help much. Today it is mostly better however.

Still on soft/flakey/pureed food per my surgeon's phase II diet plan. I was told to stay on this until at least the 7th week before moving to phase III which just adds more meat/protein and eliminates the puree requirement.

Went on a weekend trip this weekend and was able to survive and find food options that worked for me in the restaurants.

Still have the occasional round of nausea. It is random and not sure what triggers it. I have been successful at catching it before I get to the vomit stage.

Exercising regularly now on the treadmill. I walk at least 30 minutes a day 3° incline at 2.7-3 mph.

I track what I eat on MFP and my carb intake is averaging below 40g/day. Protein is averaging 80g/day. I am working on increasing protein and this should be easier once in phase III.

I don't specifically count calories but since MFP does, I see they are averaging around 700/day.

Still going strong on the slightly modified Vitalady regimen. I am slowly increasing my iron, everything else is going down fine.

This week I have reached a couple of minor goals, one is to lose 50lbs and the other is to get below a 40 BMI. Goodbye to the "Morbid Obese" label! Next minor goal is to get below 35 BMI and leave the "severely obese" label in the dust!

Brian, awesome...I know the dh has gout...but has not had a flare since about 2 months after his DS...and he's over 3 years out. He doesn't even take the Allopurinol or any gout medicine now.

Last edited:
Brian, awesome...I know the dh has gout...but has not had a flare since about 2 months after his DS...and he's over 3 years out. He doesn't even take the Allopurinol or any gout medicine now.

Thanks! Hopefully this is my last Gout attack! In the past I have always just suffered thru it (using tons of NSAIDS like Advil). This Allopurinol and Colcrys stuff are new to me. So far I am not impressed. I sure do miss the Advil but the cardiologist does not want me taking it anymore even though the surgeon said I could after 1 month post op.

Latest posts

Back